Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question may have been asked and answered. I searched, but if this has been addressed, please re-direct me.

When I am uploading a large file, my incoming Internet connection grinds to a halt. Sometimes I use email, but other times will use an online file sharing site like senduit.com or ge.tt Latency goes through the roof and my download speed drops to dial-up levels. Does the uploading technology used by those services mimic P2P traffic (which I do not use)?

I'm on Rogers Express (though will soon be upgrading), with a wired connection to a gigabit router.

Is this normal behaviour? Any advice you could provide would be helpful.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It's not normal behaviour. I think you are accurate in blaming Rogers throttling technology. Like it's doing with WOW and Starcraft 2, its probably identifying it as P2P traffic.

Do you notice its different at night (8pm to midnight) vs. daytime. Throttling occurs most in the evening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to happen day and night. I'm not sure that I have the energy to tackle calling Rogers about this. They wear you down!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
With TCP traffic, if you max out your upload bandwidth, your download speed will suffer. The reason is that you have to send acknowledgements for downloaded data. If your upload side is congested, those acks get delayed or dropped and the site you are downloading from will start to slow down their traffic to you.

I ran into this problem when I was first playing around with P2P software. If I didn't limit my max upload rate (to say 80 KB/s out of a possible 120 KB/s) at times my download speeds would drop to almost zero.

Or maybe Rogers is throttling you.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My P2P traffic has pretty much ground to a halt. Started probably about 4-6 weeks ago?

My dload speeds are 30-50K/s, my upload is under 10K/s

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
^^^^
This is from Rogers "Internet Traffic Management Practices & Legal Disclosure"

"Rogers Hi Speed Internet (delivered over cable) and Portable Internet from Rogers currently manages upstream peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing applications speed to a maximum of 80 kbps per customer. This policy is maintained at all times."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts