Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While researching prepaid packages on the Telus website, I find some confusing small print.

Does anyone know if its possible to have a prepaid voice plan with a data add-on if you bring your own HSPA device? (in this case, an iPhone)

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I don't believe so. Telus does offer an add-on of 250MB + unlimited texting for $20, but that seems to be it for prepaid. At the moment they have a promo of unlimited data for a month if you get this add-on. The offer expires in the new year, which might mean new data options will be available then.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spoke to Telus and they "just" made a package change whereby you can have the prepaid data plan with a prepaid voice plan.

So....I bought a full price iPhone4 from the Apple store and I am about to enjoy an unlocked iPhone on my terms. I figure I can have everything I want/need for under $30/month with no SAF.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additional question on the prepaid data add-on...

What happens if i go over the 250MB in the month? Does it just stop working? Or do I start to incur an overage charge?

And is it true that the data/messaging will stop working if there are no prepaid voice credits on the account?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
1 HSPA Prepaid clients will have access to voice and text services only at this time. HSPA Prepaid clients will not have access to data services, such as MMS, web browsing, email or downloads such as ringtones, games and images at this time.
From the fine print here. I'd give Telus a call and see what they say, this may be out of date.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that's the fine print that triggered my initial question in the thread. I called Telus and in fact that is out of date and they are now able to offer 3G+ (HSPA)data on prepaid.

I set up this morning on an iPhone4 and it's working fine. I'm just wondering what to expect if the 250Mb runs out.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Messaging should never stop working as it's unlimited with that plan. The only way it will stop is if you have it set to deduct the add-on cost from your balance and you don't have enough balance. In that case you would probably get a warning text from Telus.

I'd recommend you set up the data/messaging add-on cost to be charged monthly to your credit card. You can also set up minimum balance top ups, so that you're automatically billed for a top up whenever your balance reaches below a certain point, that way you'll always have enough.

I'm not sure about data overage, since they don't list any pay-per use data for prepaid. I'd like to say it will probably just stop, but I think it's more likely that it will just continue at some obscenely high rate. If you're lucky it's the same $.50/MB of the 100MB monthly plan, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same $3/MB for first 5 MB and $1/MB for each additional MB (with billing by the MB, not KB) as monthly pay-per use.

Of course it could be worse, it could be the flat rate $30/MB they charge BlackBerry users...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Activated my UNLOCKED IPHONE 4 on TELUS HSPA Prepaid in Nov-2010 and purchased $20 DATA ADD ON in Dec for 1 Month, As per Site once 250 MB is used Data will not work even if DATA is ON so there is no question of ADDITIONAL Data Charges, messaging will still remain Active.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The data at the moment is unlimited but after March 20 it is limited to 250MB and any usage over that will be charge at $3/MB.

From TELUS' site:

Clients will receive unlimited data for 30 days every time they purchase or renew the Data + Messaging 20 add-on. On March 20, 2011, Data + Messaging 20 clients will receive 250MB of data regardless of when they purchased or renewed the add-on. The 250MB will expire with the expiry of the add-on. As of March 20, 2011, the pay per use and overage rate for prepaid 3G+ clients will change to $3/MB
Since there are no minutes on prepaid but cash and minutes are charged at 20c in the account, data should work. Unless of course you don't have cash to cover the 911 fees then maybe they could cut you off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts