Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had a Yamaha 6160 for a few years now, and love it. I currently have a VCR via composite in, upconverting DVD via HDMI, XBOX via component + optical, and a Wii via component + optical. I am about to add a PS3 to the mix in order to acquire a BluRay player. I have discovered I may be short of inputs.

The 6160 comes with 2 HDMI in, of which I am only using 1. However, as far as I can tell, the second HDMI in is in fact the same video in as the DTV/CBL in which is already in use for my XBOX. Can I hook the PS3 into that HDMI port and just ensure the XBOX is off? Will it act as a kind of a switch where it only takes the input of whatever is on at the time, or will it screw it up because I have the XBOX input on the Yamaha configured for Component in + optical?

Am a bit confused as to how I am going to hook this up. I could replace the DVD player with the PS3 since it will be able to handle all of the same media + BR, but was wondering if I could get it all going without pulling the DVD player out of the mix. It does a great job upconverting, and would like to continue to use it for DVDs if possible.

Thanks,
FF.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
You should be able to use the HDMI input and "assign" it (or any other input as appropriate) any way you like. Assignment is covered in the operating manual for the AVR. Provided you have another "device name" available you should be able to get everything properly assigned and working. Assignment may need to be done for audio and video inputs.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Unless the it is superior to the PS3 at upconverting (Oppo), ditch the DVD player.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Agreed, but sometimes people like to use the DVD player for their kids or other purposes, rather than using the PS3 for everything DVD/CD related.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Agreed, but sometimes people like to use the DVD player for their kids or other purposes, rather than using the PS3 for everything DVD/CD related.
Well, in that case, I say ditch the kids!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to close this thread off....

It actually worked much better than I thought it would. The second HDMI input is linked to the component-in + optical, they are both considered INPUT2. However, whichever game console is on is the one which is picked up without any change in config on my part.

If the XBOX is on, it uses component-in +optical for INPUT2.
If the PS3 is on, it uses HDMI for INPUT2.

It's very handy. I had set up SCENE 2 of the 4 scene buttons on the Yamaha for the XBOX. Now I select the same button for the PS3, and as long as it is on it will be picked up. I have no idea what will happen if both the XBOX and the PS3 are both on at the same time, I imagine one input will simply take priority, but that situation would never occur by choice since I only have 1 TV.

The best part about this discovery is that now I know I will never run out of HDMI-in ports. If I buy another device requiring HDMI-in, I can purchase a 4 port HDMI switch and attach it all to INPUT2. Then whichever device is on, I just set the switch to accept that input and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks,
FF.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Yes what you have done will work for most devices, however some devices like various STBs are "always on" (standby).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts