Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running my DSR530 from my BUD, mostly on 111.1. I recently purchased a Shaw Direct 75E dish and in looking up the setup parameters (dishpointer.com) I have a question about my SKEW setting of -9.2 degrees for F2. Is the setting 90 degrees minus 9.2 (81 degrees) or ???
Dishpointer gives a SKEW of -9.2 degrees for F2 and a setting of -14.7 degrees for F1R. which setting should I use as I want the dish optimized for viewing on both satellites???

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Use the drop down menu on the dishpointer site and go to the bottom section that has Multi-LNBs and choose "Starchoice 107W & 111W".

·
Registered
146 Posts
Use the drop down menu on the dishpointer site and go to the bottom section that has Multi-LNBs and choose "Starchoice 107W & 111W".
Hmmm.....well...OK....I know I'm not the fastest skater on this team but......

The values for my locality shown in the "Multi-LNB Setup" of Dishpointer are "off" by (1) four degrees of azimuth, (2) one degree in skew. When I say "off", I'm referring to a comparison to several other sources for pointing at Anik F2, which is the satellite to which your 60e or 75e should be pointed. I'm also referring to being "off" the values that worked for me to get successfully pointed.

Is the setting 90 degrees minus 9.2 (81 degrees) or ???
Yes! The mark for setting the skew on a Shaw dish is located at the horizontal position (90) rather than the vertical (0). So, in your case, you have to subtract the value given from 90 degrees. Put another way, you want to rotate the dish 9.2 degrees counterclockwise from the horizontal, as viewed from behind the dish.

which setting should I use as I want the dish optimized for viewing on both satellites???
The arm of the LNB mount and the left-most of the white "eyes" on your LNB should point to Anik F2. That's why you should use pointing data for F2. When this condition is met, and the skew is set properly, the signal from F1R will be properly reflected to the offset side of the LNB (the white "eye" that does not line up with the mounting arm). Also, at this point, presuming your receiver is authorized, you should get a watchable picture on all channels (from either satellite) in your package.

I'll be anxious to hear how the "Multi-LNB" figures work for the you.....I haven't been able to figure out what the heck these are for....but they didn't work for me !!

Good luck & keep us posted....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
joshuals, thouands of people have used the settings on dishpointer just fine including myself, and yes the Multi-LNB settiings given to me from it were very accurate. The dish skew given to me for my 75E dish from that site is correct. The OP got the answer he needed from it as well...

·
Registered
710 Posts
joshuals, thouands of people have used the settings on dishpointer just fine including myself, and yes the Multi-LNB settiings given to me from it were very accurate. The dish skew given to me for my 75E dish from that site is correct. The OP got the answer he needed from it as well...
Gents,

Isn't the proof in adjusting the signal for maximum dB the answer and these measurements are just a starting point ?

QCK, Am I to assume by OP you mean Old person ? How do you know???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not receive an installation manual with my 75E dish but was able to properly assemble it. Thanks for the help on obtaining the skew setting.
I see where the LNB arm is slotted. Is there a dimension for the distance from the LNB to the center of the dish? I assume the slot is for that adjustment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts