Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a very silly question, but it is important that i know. I work in a field with at-risk young adults. I would like ot be able to offer my clients the opportunity to be able to text me when needed(they all have cell phones) . The only problem with this is my cell phone is the only phone i have, i have no landline. Is their any way they can text me without me giving them my cell number? As i said a silly question. I am new to this so hopefully their is someone out there who can help me out or offer any suggestions to me. Thanks

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Unless you have a smartphone where they could send you an e-mail message, you'll probably end up needing to give them your cell number.

In regards to Costa's post, Even if they were to send an e-mail (that would be converted to a text message), they would still find out your cell number since the e-mail they'd send to is [email protected] (for example).

·
Registered
390 Posts
I believe knowing the number you want to text to is a security measure built in.

There may be an app for smart phones if you have a smart phone...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
^^^^
Smart phones have browsers and email available. He could set up a Gmail account, just for this purpose. Android phones are very easy to set up for Gmail.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The real issue is not stated here - as far as I can tell, the issue is that the OP does not want to give out his phone number, yet he wants people to be able to text him.

Kind of falls into the category of "mutually exclusive", as far as I can tell....

An alternative is a second, el-cheapo cell phone on the cheapest plan that allows texting. That becomes your public phone number, while your current cell number remains hidden and secure.

This would cost more, but in today's society any pretensions towards privacy carry a price tag.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you have an iPhone or an Android device, you may be able to use an app like HeyWire. I don't know how it works for a "real" phone that has an existing number, but on my iPod Touch it assigns me a phone number that I can use for texting (incoming and outgoing). Something like that may work for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts