Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family uses Google Duo a lot for Voice / Video Calls. Google Duo is cross platform, which means it works on Android Devices, works on my moms iPAD, and also works on Google/Google Nest hub devices.

Now that I got that out of the way. Before, everything worked just fine, I would place a Duo Video call to parents, their iPad would show the incoming call notice on their lock screen, when they slide the slider to "answer" it would connect and the video would connect right away, my kids would be able to enjoy their video chat.

Lately this past year, My mom's iPad has been doing something different. I video call her, the lock screen indicates the slide to answer, she answers it, but it only connects in Voice, there is a video button she must toggle after. when she toggles it, she must enter her lock screen PIN to unlock it for the video to connect. My parents are senior citizens so this can take them a while to enable the video, and my kids are very young so they get "impatient" and are like "I cant see you yet" lol.

I did tons of research and searches for why this happens, but could not find an answer. however my mom believes she got some apple iPad software update around the same time this started happening. I honestly do not know if there is a way to fix this or is this the new norm. Is it apple's eco system that now you have to do this because its a non-native app and need to enter a password to answer a video call? does WhatsApp do this as well? she doesnt use it but maybe if someone has the same issue with that app it could explain?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think that it was always the case.

On my phone, whenever I received a call over Teams (a similar app), it wouldn’t start the Teams app if I replied with a locked phone.

It will start the app if the phone is unlocked. Teams doesn’t start video automatically, so don’t know if that would trigger a video call.

This is all from memory so… it’s worth what it is worth.

Ed7789
Sent from my mobile device

·
Super Moderator
56,874 Posts
It's probably a good idea to have at least one step of verification, if the device is in standby, before the camera is engaged.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it may be a "good idea" but its not a convenient idea for senior citizens, and it was never like that before, apple def changed something in their eco system. on my android when i get a duo "Video" call while the phone/tablet is locked, i hit the answer button and the video call connects, even if i have a password or finger print to unlock

what im asking is it normal and is there a way to "exclude" that "good idea" and make it work to how it did before? there are no settings in the app to turn off that feature aka good idea, maybe its an apple ipad feature in the operating system? i cant seem to find it

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a year later and no one has given me any answer except "its normal behaviour" does this happen to people who answer video calls on whatsapp on their ipad or iphone too? if it does then I'll chalk it up to "its normal" if it does not happen then there is a chance it can be changed. please let me know. im pretty sure there are more whatsapp users on apple than google duo users on apple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts