Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have recently been considering subscribing to Bell TV to get CNN International among some other channels. I was given a receiver from my parents who had a Bell subscription about 2 years ago (they now subscribe to Shaw). In order to test the receiver I have hooked it up to an old Bell Dish I had lying around. I have set up the dish and am receiving a good signal from 82 and 91 but less then half the channels are showing up in the program guide (for example I have channel 500 (CNN) displayed and the next channel is 507). I am curious as to weather this means the receiver is glitched or if it just needs a software update to fix some of the old transponder data?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Many of the channels you are not subscribed will not show up in the guide at all. Some will show up as red background.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bell receivers automatically unsubscribe the channels if they are not connected to a dish or are unplugged for several weeks. You should only be getting about three promo channels and maybe a few free preview channels. If you are getting those channels, the receiver is probably OK. Most of the other channels should show up in red in the guide. I suggest you go to the installation menu and perform a check switch. That will test that the dish and receiver are both operating normally.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I am able to get the promo channels and everything checks out when I run a check switch, I just found it was odd that some channels were appearing in red in the guide while others were not present at all, but if this is normal then I will proceed with this receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts