Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am just wondering if you can unlock a 3G smartphone on the Bell network, and use it on the Rogers network? I am just guessing, but I would think you could, because it runs on HSDPA. Is this correct? I am looking for something for my girlfriend in the way of a smartphone, and we don't wanna spend much, have found something but it's locked to Bell. Also, would it be a pain in the ass to get a Rogers 3G sim card if she just went in with the unlocked phone? How easy it is to set up an unlocked phone on the Rogers network? Sorry I didn't have time to browse the forums to answer these questions, I am just in a hurry right now, I gotta take off, and I need to let this guy know by tonight if possible about the phone, so any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot you guys.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hi there. HSPA is not a cellular air interface, but more so a data layer. Bell uses UMTS for their network, and HSPA is what gives you the high speed internet. if you unlock the phone, yes it will work on Roger's as well, because like bell, they also have a UMTS network that supports HSPA, as well they have another network called GSM too.

They all use the same network technology for 3G (UMTS/HSPA) so it will work, and they also use the same frequency as well for this technology. The only company using a different frequency is Wind Mobile (Global Live), they dont use 850/850, 1900/1900, they use 1700/2100 instead.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
If it is an unlocked HSPA Bell smartphone it should work. An older CDMA phone with no SIM card would not.

Rogers will probably try and sell you on a phone, but they won't have a problem just selling you a SIM. If you put the SIM in it should just work, although you might have to enter a Rogers APN for a data connection.

Edit: Wind and Mobilicity both use AWS.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
as for your question about the SIM, you can get a sim card from anywhere, ie store, online, heck even online buy/sell/trade forums. they honestly don;t care what phone you have if your buying one. it wont matter to them. I would not be worrying about sim if i were you, theyre like prety cheap, even in a retail store price. id be more worried about passing a credit cheque and getting a account set up more so than the sim.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. So what US carriers would work as well? Just in case I don't get to this guy tonight, maybe I can look on ebay a bit.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
For US carriers, AT&T is the only one that is compatible with the same 3G frequencies Bell/Telus/Rogers use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts