Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really new to photography and am on a tight budget so I'm eyeing the Canon 50mm f1.8 II as my first lens purchase. I've been reading quite a bit about polarizing filters and would really like to get my hands on one. From what I understood so far, the HOYA HMC is a good relatively cheap lens? The thing is, since I don't have that much money to spend, I was thinking of just getting a 58mm one and a step-up ring so I can use it on both my 18-55mm IS kit lens and the 50mm one. But I was just wondering if I use the step-up ring, will I still be able to use the ES-62 hood for the 50mm?
I'm going on a trip next week, and its going to be sunny there, so I do need to buy the hood, right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the f/1.8, and the lens sits well within the body (not flush with the filter ring). AFAIK, this lessens the importance of the hood (I'm no pro)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't use my 50mm f/1.8 much these days but I have never had flare problems with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, thanks for the replies! I don't think I'll be getting the hood anymore then, which is good coz that'll save me more money. Thank youu!

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have a shop nearby, try it and see if it doesn't fit.

You should be fine regardless, flare is a rare problem with 50mm primes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The Hood will fit with a step-up ring

I have the 50 1.8 and use a 52-58mm step-up ring (Henry's Generic)with a C-Pol often and the hood will fit on the lens but it is awkward as you have to fit the hood then screw on the step-up ring and filter.

I like the hood just as some protection for the lens but the front element is fairly recessed so it's really not as important with this lens.

Now my other L-class lenses I always have the hoods on them as the front elements are pretty much flush.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know of any camera shops nearby except for Futureshop and they don't really have a lot of selection but I'll see if I can find one.

gordonb, someone pointed out to me that I shouldn't get the C-POL for either of my lenses because the lenses rotate when they focus so if I move the filter, it would unfocus the shot as well? Has this been a problem to you? And do you have the ES-62 hood for it? I think I'll just be trying the lenses without the hood then just buy it if I see a use for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't know of any camera shops nearby except for Futureshop and they don't really have a lot of selection but I'll see if I can find one.

gordonb, someone pointed out to me that I shouldn't get the C-POL for either of my lenses because the lenses rotate when they focus so if I move the filter, it would unfocus the shot as well? Has this been a problem to you? And do you have the ES-62 hood for it? I think I'll just be trying the lenses without the hood then just buy it if I see a use for it. Thanks!
I have the hood but had to order it in from my local Henry's. In retrospect it's probably not worth the expense. I do use the C-Pol and haven't had problems with it. I also find it nice as when shooting outdoors wide open (at f/1.8) in bright sunlight it also drops the brightness down two stops or so which can let you use the wide apertures with the max shutter speed of the camera. I generally focus first then adjust the c-pol then shoot so if the focus does change slightly there is little change as the lens only rotates slightly.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Try ebay for hoods

You can buy a generic hood same performance as the original for a fraction of the price.

I bought on ebay one for my 28-135mm IS and 85mm.

I use a hood on all my lens all the time.

·
Registered
520 Posts
OK - So I finally dug my 50 f/1.8 II out and had a look at it.

Correction - It does NOT rotate during focusing. It extends out 5/16" or so though.

The front element is recessed almost a whole 1/2" from the top of the lens barrel. This is pretty deep. The 62-L adapter that comes with the ES-62 hood adds another 1/4" of depth and the hood itself is a mere 1" deep.

Yammon - I agree that I usually ALWAYS have a hood on my lenses but, as I mentioned before, the front element on this lens is very recessed and thus fairly well protected from damage and some flare and the cost of the hood compared to the cost of the lens is significant and probably not worth it if money is of concern. Besides the lens with the adapter looks butt ugly and the clip on hoods such as these are a PITA to get on and remove.

Having said all this as the front element is so recessed and the adapter so tall the hood is shallow. As the step up ring screws in to the front of the adapter this is one of the few lenses I own that I can actually adjust the C-pol with the hood on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh okay so I think I'll just try it out without the hood and start saving money for another lens. Thanks a lot! I would've spent $60 more than I need to if you guys hadn't explained it to me.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If you find you need a hood for sun protection get your self a rubber collapsible one. A uv filter on the 50mm F1.8 is really a waste of money as the filter costs about as much as the lens does. The lens is already coated with uv protection.

You will love the lens for low light photography and the nice smooth bokeh you will get on portrait shots.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts