Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Question about Sirius Internet Radio

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  neilrieck 
#1 ·
I have had an official Sirius internet radio (table-top appliance) connected to my one of my two satellite radios for a few years now. We only use it every few weeks and tried to use it yesterday where my wife saw the message "account closed". Checking my account at their website reveals they now want an additional $4 per month to listen over the internet.

I double checked by trying to listen via my PC only to see the message: "Could not sign in. Your account may be inactive. Please try again or contact our support team"

:(

Has anyone else experienced this?

#3 ·
This company definitely attracks nothing but misery. I say call them and threaten to cancel. They'll plug you to their retention operators and let you have both. And if you are as lucky as I, you'll even pay less than you pay now. At least that was the case when SXM US pulled that trick upon their unsuspecting loyalists a couple of years back.

#4 ·
Neil, your experience is like that of a lot of us. Sirius is pulling a real slimeball performance here.

Their offer to me was that I "opt-in" which is no offer at all. According to that I'd simply agree to pay them what they want even though I've already paid them for the Synergi service.

I think I'll have to buy a wi-fi Internet radio.

Good luck with your Sirius contract.

#6 ·
I'll be calling and complaining today. I signed up for my 3rd year of service and my terms and conditions where that I get access on my mobile device. then the blackberry app stopped working when i upgraded, so i moved to an iPhone, and now i have to pay another $4/month on top of this. no way. i'll move over to songza for my go train rides into the office. sirius will get an ear full today and if they are lucky the retention people will keep me around for another year. corporations are so freaking greedy.

#8 · (Edited)
Guess what? They offered me a complimentary subscription to internet radio until September 2013 (when my current subscription ends) then they expect me to continuing paying $4 per month. They never said any of this stuff when they (SiriusCanada) were flogging those damn internet radio appliances through FutureShop. I was convinced they would grand-father internet access into my existing radio account.

Okay so why are they behaving so badly? Well, since "day one" they have made it difficult (but not impossible) for Canadians to subscribe to the US radio service. This means that when Sirius Canada merged with XM Canada, they had an effective monopoly. So without being able to turn to the competition (because there isn't any), Sirius doesn't feel the need to invoke customer loyalty programs. So perhaps it is now time to refer this to both the CRTC as well as the Competition Bureau.

Now I just had this thought: they have been behaving badly after Sirius Canada merged with XM Canada,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.