Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping I can borrow someone's expertise.

I just purchased a new Emotiva Amp. XPA-5 and I've been reading the manual while I wait for it to ship. It doesn't have a remote, but the manual shows a 12V remote trigger input and output on the back to turn the unit on and off with a Pre-amp or other device at the same time.

My question is that I have a Yamaha HTR-6080 that has a remote output connection. However it's not very clear what it's out putting and if it's compatible with devices other that Yamaha products. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
The manual (pgs. 23 and 93) is kind of vague, but I get the impression that the port is designed for passing remote control codes to any piece of attached, SCENE-compatible Yamaha equipment, and that it's not a typical 12V trigger port such as is found on the Emo amp (or on many AVRs).

That being said, and assuming it accepts a standard trigger cable, I'd test it out just to see if it does work as a 12V trigger port. (Cheap 1/8" mono to 1/8" mono cables can be got off eBay for under $10, shipped. I picked one up off a vendor there recently.)

·
Registered
833 Posts
No, as eljay said that remote output is for passing IR signals to other devices so it won't work. A 12V trigger is simply an output that provides 12V of DC power. The HTR-6080 doesn't have such an output but it does have some switched AC outlets so you can get a basic 12V DC adapter with a 3.5mm connector and plug that into the switched AC outlet. When the receiver is turned on the adapter will turn on and provide the 12V to the amp trigger.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. It is vague and that's why I asked, there was a reference to the page 93 I believe that gives instructions to non-yamaha or scene compatible devices.

Here's a question then, can I just leave the power switch on and let my receiver and TV system turn off and on? I assume it's not going to hurt anything to leave it powered if there's no signal?

·
Registered
833 Posts
You could probably just leave the amp on but you might get "pops" when you turn the receiver off and on.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. I think I'll do as you suggested and get the 12V adapter. I should be able to find one. I looked on the Emotiva site and they have a 3 trigger adapter and it looks like it's rated for 12v 150ma with a 3.5mm mono plug.

·
Banned
72 Posts
IF you plug the Emotiva 12V OUT into that Yamaha unit's IR port you will DAMAGE the IR input on that unit. It's for IR not 12V triggering. Yeah they are both 1/8" TRS but TOTALLY different signalling. If you use the 12 IN on the Emotiva it won't damage it (the yamaha) but it won't do anything.

grog's suggestion of using a 12v wall wart connected to the Yamaha switched mains is a great idea. And just like the emotiva adapter make sure it's no more than 150mah as that's what the input is rated for.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering about the rating, I looked at the remote trigger on their sight and saw it was rated at 150ma. I found one at The Source but it has a rating of 300Ma. I guess I should write and see the max rating it should be. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update, I received a response from Emotiva's tech support and for any others who might care, they say that any of their products are rated up to a 500mA 12v. input into their triggers. I also read over the online manual again and noticed that the voltage can be anything between 6 and 12v.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts