Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Panasonic TC-P50U2 a couple of weeks ago from a national chain store during their Boxing Week Sale. I've been using it to watch BellAliant FibreOp HDTV and to play my PS3 and have been happy, but not overwhelmed by the set's performance. Also, I've been having a hard time getting the settings where I like them, even after using the THX calibration wizard on one of my DVDs.

I started searching around yesterday, looking for some help on calibrating the picture and stumbled upon this very helpful site. I started reading old posts and stumbled across something that kinda upset me at first, and now - the more I think about it - has me quite perturbed.

I bought this particular set for a couple of reasons: the Panny name, the full 1080p screen, plasma, and (I thought) because it had full 1080 motion resolution. Imagine my surprise when I read a couple of posts here that said that this set only has 900 lines of moving picture resolution!:eek: I double-checked the specs of the set that were given by the website of the store where I purchased my set and, sure enough, the store's site says that the TV has 1080 moving picture resolution. So, I was mislead by the store's advertising. I know some people will say that I should have looked at other sites, but why would I if the full specs are supposedly right there on the store's site? What's the point of listing specs if you're not going to make sure they are correct?

I'm thinking about going back to the store and informing them of their error and possibly insisting that they let me trade the Panny for a similarly priced 50" plasma that actually does have 1080 motion resolution.

The store currently has my Panny, the Samsung PN50C540, and the LG PK550 all on sale for the exact same price. The difference being that the Sammy and the LG both actually have 1080 motion resolution (I checked these specs on multiple sites :p).

I originally had my choices narrowed down to these exact 3 models of TV before Christmas and decided to buy whichever one came on sale first because, as far as the specs on them went, they were virtually identical (remember, the store's site lists 1080 lines, not 900, so I thought they were pretty much identical). The Panny went on sale first, so I bought it. Had I known that the Panny really only had 900 lines of motion resolution, I would have eliminated it from my choices and bought the Sammy or the LG.

My question to you folks is this: If I decide to push the issue and ask for a trade, what TV would you ask for, and why? The PN50C540 or the PK550? Or would you keep the Panny? If so, why?

I appreciate any and all opinions on the subject.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Wow, haven't had this discussion in a few years since this article. It's true the moving resolution most flat panels is not 1080.

from the Panasonic website

The fact is that few HDTV's in the past were capable of achieving 1080p motion resolution. (this was yet another major reason to avoid LCD)

the higher end pannies can supposedly do it. I'm not sure LG or Samsung do it. Has it been verified by independent testing. This is a spec (like contrast ratio) that I simply don't trust.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Does that mean if you get the LG or Samsung, you will then lament about how they do not have the black levels of the Panasonic and be unhappy ... yet again?

Regards

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I don't know if I'll complain about the Samsung or the LG. That's why I'm asking for opinions from those of you who know more than I do about these sets. My point is, I didn't get what I thought I was buying and I don't know if it's necessarily that big of a problem. Are the black levels worse on the Sammy and LG than they are on the Panny? Is the lower motion resolution less of a concern than some of the issues the Sammy and LG may have? Do the Sammy of LG have other issues that would make you want to stay with the Panny, even though it has lower motion resolution?

In your opinion, which of the 3 sets is the best if price is equal? I watch sports, action movies, and play video games on my TV and the set is in a living room with two windows (which have pretty good room darkening blinds so glare hasn't really been an issue with the Panny). I also have a Yamaha RX-V667 A/V receiver with Cerwin-Vega CMX5.1 speakers, just for a little more background info on my setup.

·
Registered
87 Posts
don't worry

I bought the TCP50c2 entry level Panny Plasma in early Dec 2010. It's a 720P set. You have nothing to worry about, your eyes wont see any difference. I love my cheapy TCP50c2 I got a great deal on. I read a few complaints about the native resolution being 1024 x 768 on a 50 inch panel. I sit 13-15 feet from the Plasma, my TV has a great natural looking picture, great color, great blacks and whites too. I have had compliments on the picture quality by guests watching it. I have put a few hundred hours on the TV and adjusted the contrast a little higher and changed some settings after the break in period. The Picture looks perfect in my eyes and the others in my house who watch it. Believe me with 1080p and if it's 900 lines of moving resolution you have nothing to worry about. I think Panasonic makes a good plasma set. They now have Pioneer plasma engineers and bought Pioneer patents on there team. Not sure I would worry about 180 lines your eye cant see anyway ,even if it is fact.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the interest of wrapping up this thread so it can be closed, I thought I would come back and post my decision. Besides, it may help someone else make a decision in the future.

After much more research, I have decided to just keep the Panny.

Glare has been an issue at times with my Panny, but only when my wife insists on turning on the lamp beside her seat or in the middle of a very sunny late afternoon. From what I have read, the glare from the LG would drive me crazy, so the LG is out.

I don't own a truck, nor do I have easy access to one. Just getting the Panny home from the store cost me a case of beer as I had to ask a friend to bring it home for me in his truck. Not that he minded and I'm the one who insisted on giving him a case of beer for his trouble. Swapping my Panny for a Sammy would be quite a bit of bother. Besides, if I went through all of that just to end up with a buzzing Sammy, I would probably have a stroke! :D

Finally, the Panny is a pretty damn good set, especially when you consider the price I paid for it during the Boxing Week sale. And, to tell the truth, there is no way I would have noticed the 900 lines of motion resolution vs 1080 if I hadn't read about it while searching for help with calibrating the picture. (On that note, I'm awaiting delivery of the 2-disc Disney World of Wonder Blu-ray from Amazon.ca so I should finally be able to get the picture properly calibrated.)

I am going to send an e-mail to the store's main office in hopes that they will correct the misinformation on their website, but swapping a TV with a fairly insignificant problem for one that could have a more significant problem just isn't worth the headache.

Thanks to those of you who provided your feedback.

Mods, feel free to close this thread.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your resolution (no pun intended!).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a great vacation trip for 57 to do a little setup and get out of the house in the winter. :D
The sad part is, I'm the studio manager at a digital video encoding company but we don't have the gear for calibrating displays. We just use the SMPTE colour bars on our tapes to adjust our very old Sony CRT monitors.

We just recently made the jump to high-def here and bought our first high-def encoder but we don't have any high-def monitors. Even worse, we don't have any high-def sources to encode from; just Betacam SP/SX and DVCam. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts