Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I few months ago I bought a SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card for my phone which was running out of space. Yesterday I decided to buy a new phone. Would it be ok to put the Memory card which i'm currently using in the old phone into the new phone?

I ask this question because I've read somewhere that I should 'never' transfer used memory cards into newer phones.

Could I just erase what's on the old memory card and reformat it into the new phone? If so, how would I be able to do this?

This is an Android phone

Multiple opinions would be appreciated seeing that i'm not too knowledgeable about this subject

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
You should be able to just insert the card into a phone and have the phone format it (which of course would wipe out all the data on the card). How to do it depends on the phone but the function should be available in the main menu or one of the sub-menu options.

-- Edit --

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
If the SD card is used for data, not apps, then it should be no issue to just move it to another phone. If any apps are on the card they can be uninstalled or moved to the phone's main storage. Be sure to turn the phones off before removing the card in order to prevent possible corruption. The data on the card can be backed up and reformatted by inserting it into a PC card reader as well as on the phone. An inexpensive USB SD card reader is a handy tool to have for such tasks.

SD cards are a good place to backup phone settings and data for restoration on a new phone. That can also be done to the cloud or a PC using the built in backup tool or an app.

·
Super Moderator
11,373 Posts
I have moved memory cards between laptops, Android phones and cameras without issue. The devices will usually make a new folder and leave the existing contents along. Just remember if the card is formatted FAT32 the largest file you can have is 4GB. Probably not an issue in this case but worth noting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts