Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In place of where Sun News was on BEvu, it has a message saying that the channel has been dropped from BEvu at the request Sun News. What's up with that?

(Please, I don't want to start a discussion on its merits, or lack thereof, I just want to know what happened.)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I wonder if Sun asked for FFC and Bell refused.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Like ScaryBob said, this looks like Sun News trying to strong arm Bell by threatening to withdraw their channel, and Bell calling their bluff. Sun News needs Bell a whole lot more than Bell needs Sun News. I expect this to be resolved quickly.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Agreed. SunTV News is now a digital specialty channel so Bell and Quebecor now have to negotiate a fee.

Its not FFC since FFC really is about must carry OTA channels. Digital Specialty channels are not must carry.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Sun TV (the OTA channel) is must carry. As long as it remains on the air, BDUs must carry it. The only exception is if Sun TV asks for FFC. Sun News (the Cat2 channel) is not must carry and likely never will be.

There is obviously some sort of political or financial dispute here. If I ran a BDU and was opposed to carrying Sun News on Sun TV, I would stop carrying Sun TV. I would then file an intervention with the CRTC claiming Sun TV was in breach of its broadcasting license, which it likely is. Bell is a master at using new channels to increase subscriber revenue and they likely want Sun News as a subscription channel, not a free must carry channel.

I expect this to be resolved quickly.
Not with Bell. It took years before TCM and AMC caved to Bell's carriage demands. HDNet didn't and the channel has been off Bell for months with no sign that it will return.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope this is resolved soon. Lost the signal on Bell, and if the channel doesn't return, I'm switching providers, as Shaw Direct carries it.

I subscribe to the News package for Pete's sake, just include Sun in with the others, don't take it off the air completely.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Posts removed.

Please lets keep this discussion to

"Why did Bell take SunTV News off of their system"

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have my reservations that Sun News Network (SNN) is even launched as a specialty channel yet anyways. We know for sure that CKXT is rebranded SNN, but do we really know for sure that SNN launched the specialty channel though? IMO, this is all assumptions without any real proof. I think to know for sure, those who have Shaw in the west and Shaw Direct or even Videotron, if you see local Toronto ads, then it's almost surely not the specialty channel, it's CKXT because the specialty channel can't air local ads.

Also, I'm pretty sure Bell was carrying CKXT, not the cable channel if the specialty channel even exists. CKXT was there before SNN and I HIGHLY doubt that if an agreement was reached to drop CKXT, then add the specialty channel, the deal would all fall apart only a couple weeks later. These deals are likely struck for terms lasting months or even years, and for it to be dropped only weeks after it launched is only more proof that the specialty channel was not carried on Bell. And btw, CKXT is not mandatory for satellite, only for local cable and IPTV in within the signals reach, so CKXT can be dropped or removed from Bell, just like it was done as SUN TV on Shaw Direct last year or a couple years ago anyways.

·
Banned
193 Posts
SUN TV

But it was not Bell that Yanked it... it was the owners of Sun TV... Which leads me to believe, Bell had nothing to do with getting it yanked.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I subscribe to the News package for Pete's sake, just include Sun in with the others, don't take it off the air completely.
While that may suit you, many people may not want to spend an extra 50 cents, a dollar or two dollars a month to pay for SunTV news or many other stations.

As noted, this is likely just an argument over the price of a specialty channel and Bell doesn't want to pay what Quebecor is demanding.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have my reservations that Sun News Network (SNN) is even launched as a specialty channel yet anyways.
The channel launched on April 18, 2011 under a Category 2 specialty channel licence granted by the CRTC in November 2010.

Once it launched as a CAT 2 station, it was no longer mandatory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The channel launched on April 18, 2011 under a Category 2 specialty channel licence granted by the CRTC in November 2010.

Once it launched as a CAT 2 station, it was no longer mandatory.
I hear what you're saying and I know they have a category 2 specialty licence. BUT, how do we know for sure that they are using the specialty licence? We know for sure that CKXT is being used for the channel because first, they said it, and second, it's being carried on analog cable in places where SUN TV was like on Rogers and Cogeco in Ontario. Cat 2 specialty channels can't air on analog cable. What I'm saying is that, nowhere has Quebecor confirmed at least from what I have read, that they have launched the specialty channel.

And Bell likely was carrying CKXT because they were carrying it before SNN launched and it was in the same space as CKXT was. Bell was carrying the rebranded CKXT IMO. Also, like what I said before, they wouldn't have launched the specialty channel on Bell then only a couple weeks later yank it. All the terms would have been worked out beforehand, set for likely months or years, so there would have not been any disagreement for them to yank it because they would have agreed on them beforehand. Also, like I said, CKXT is not mandatory for Bell, so they could have dropped it if they chose to or SNN could have yanked itself off they they wanted to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
While that may suit you, many people may not want to spend an extra 50 cents, a dollar or two dollars a month to pay for SunTV news or many other stations.
Agreed, who wants to spend more, subscription rates are high enough.

But in the interim of negotiations I wish it was available by other means in Atlantic Canada. Newsnet and Newsworld seem to exist without specialty subscription. There isn't an OTA Sun TV broadcast, that I know of.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
BUT, how do we know for sure that they are using the specialty licence?
musimax, Its the only one they have. This was discussed at length in our TV forum so please discuss licensing and CRTC issues in that thread.

This thread is about why Bell has dropped SunTV and/or why SunTV has asked to be removed so please lets stick to that.

But in the interim of negotiations I wish it was available by other means in Atlantic Canada.
Rambo4, fully understand. A lot of Bell Customers don't appreciate that SunTV is now going to cost them extra.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
But it was not Bell that Yanked it... it was the owners of Sun TV...
According to Bell. Quebecor may say the opposite.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Shaw is currently offering SunTV news for six months free. My guess is Quebecor said that Bell couldn't offer it free unless they agreed to terms about what they will pay after the free preview.

Whether Bell took it off or Quebecor pulled it is like arguing was a union locked out or did they go on strike. It's strictly media spin, either way its not on air!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe SNN was yanked because Bell was carrying the rebranded CKXT and Quebecor wanted them to carry the specialty channel instead and Bell didn't want that. That's possible (if the specialty channel exists because Bell was certainly carrying CKXT, not the specialty channel).

·
Registered
275 Posts
CARTT is covering the dispute, but I don't have a subscription so I can't see their report on the story.

A rumour going around is that Bell's position is that they don't feel they should be required to carry CKXT in the basic package since it's a simulcast of a Category 2 Specialty Channel, instead they want to put SUN in a specialty package and charge extra for it. Quebecor refused and Bell retaliated by dropping the signal (Bell is operating under the assumption that the rules for Category 2 channels apply, not the rules for Conventional OTA channels).

·
Banned
193 Posts
Sun TV

I just got this off the Cartt.ca website

TORONTO – Quebecor’s Sun News was removed from the Bell TV satellite lineup at 10 a.m. this morning (Tuesday, May 3).

While the channel slot itself remains, the feed has been replaced with text telling customers that the channel “has been taken down at the request of the owners of Sun News."

According to Sun News head of development Luc Lavoie, Bell forced Quebecor’s hand and it had to demand signal removal. “They have carried the signal on their satellite without trying to even have an agreement with us,” he told Cartt.ca this morning.

When Sun News launched last month, it transitioned its conventional TV station to the Sun News content just as it launched the new specialty channel of the same name and content – meaning local terrestrial carriers like Rogers and Cogeco and even Bell’s Fibe TV in the Greater Toronto Area, for example, must carry it.

But for out of market carriers and satellite companies, Sun News is a category 2, discretionary digital service requiring an affiliate carriage agreement in order to be offered to subscribers.

According to a source, Bell wants to continue to treat the channel as an OTA and not a specialty and offer it for free. (Ed note: Sun News is a unique channel in that it is, for all intents and purposes, both and the CRTC is likely to take a dim view of this turn of events.).

“We said to them, this is a specialty channel and you need to have an agreement with us and we offered them one similar to the one that was signed with Shaw,” said Lavoie. “They came back to us and said that our offer was unreasonable, which is really not fair because if it’s reasonable for Shaw and it’s reasonable for Videotron,” then it should be for Bell, he explained.

“Bell is not acting in good faith. We think that they are playing the game of undue advantage. They never wanted to negotiate in good faith, they wanted to go for free and what I can tell you is what we were asking for, for Sun News was way below CTV Newsnet,” added Lavoie.

CTV’s all-news specialty, now branded CTV News Channel, has a CRTC mandated rate of $0.145 per subscriber per month when it is carried on basic by carriers.

“Why is CP24 and CTV News Channel, both of which are owned by Bell, on the satellite and not us?” asked Lavoie who added the company is being inundated with phone calls asking why they are no longer available to Bell subscribers.

“We are sorry for the people who do not have access to Sun News... The only thing we can say is call Bell.”

Lavoie did not indicate what the company plans to do next and Bell has not yet confirmed an interview request made by Cartt.ca.

·
Registered
27 Posts
“We are sorry for the people who do not have access to Sun News... The only thing we can say is call Bell.”
And there you have it. I'll give it a week, then it's bye bye Bell. I will call to arrange for my account to be cancelled; thankfully my contract with them was up long ago. Shaw may get another customer. As a subscriber, I'll voice my opinion with my pocket book.

Hopefully Shaw Direct has a dual tuner HD PVR.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts