Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1101 - 1110 of 1110 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey everyone. I've been here awhile, and I think I'm ready to make the leap and cut the cord. My Bell Sat bills are way too expensive each month, and it's kills me to fork over almost $100 for the shows I watch. here is my TV fool:

TV Fool

I'd just like to know what equipment I would need to purchase, and perhaps a reputable merchant from whom to purchase it from in my area. I have a bunch of RG-6 in my basement for distribution. I would like to distribute the signal between 4 televisions.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Hey everyone. I've been here awhile, and I think I'm ready to make the leap and cut the cord. My Bell Sat bills are way too expensive each month, and it's kills me to fork over almost $100 for the shows I watch. here is my TV fool:

TV Fool

I'd just like to know what equipment I would need to purchase, and perhaps a reputable merchant from whom to purchase it from in my area. I have a bunch of RG-6 in my basement for distribution. I would like to distribute the signal between 4 televisions.

Thanks for your help.
This is a prime example of when NOT to use a rural Postal Code.
Postal Code J0P 1H0 includes most of Hudson, Hudson Heights, and Como, between Montee Lavigne in the west to Montee Manson in the east (see second image)

From the first image of the coverage of WPTZ from Mt Mansfield, you can see how the reception varies from OK to fair to impossible, all within a few blocks.

You need to use the inline maps feature of TVFool to position the map exactly near your proposed antenna site.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is a prime example of when NOT to use a rural Postal Code.
Postal Code J0P 1H0 includes most of Hudson, Hudson Heights, and Como, between Montee Lavigne in the west to Montee Manson in the east (see second image)

From the first image of the coverage of WPTZ from Mt Mansfield, you can see how the reception varies from OK to fair to impossible, all within a few blocks.

You need to use the inline maps feature of TVFool to position the map exactly near your proposed antenna site.
tvlurker,

Thanks for the reply. Did you mean to say 'online maps' rather than 'inline maps'? I used the online maps link on tvfool and created a radar plot. Here is the new report:

TV Fool

There are some differences.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
You might want to try a low-gain antenna like a DB-2 or Clearstream 2, in order to take advantage of the wide (> 60 degrees) beam-width.
The tricky part will be having to keep the low power Montreal stations (CJNT-(CITY), CFHD-(ICI), CFTU) out of the null, while still getting enough gain for WCFE. If Mountain Lake PBS is a priority, as well as the Montreal low power stations, you may end up needing a bifurcating 8 bay.

Note that within three years, some channels will change -- CFTM from 10 to 11, WVNY from 13 to 7, WFFF from 43 to 16, and WCAX from 22 to 20. This will actually make it easier to receive WVNY, as it will no longer be adjacent to any nearby stations. (CHLT 7 Sherbrooke will move to 8, but that should cause any issues for you as it is far enough away.)

Note that if you use an Antennas Direct UHF antenna like the Clearstream or the DB series, you'll need a separate VHF antenna (a simple loop will suffice after 2019, and possibly earlier) in order to get ABC-13(->7), TVA-10(->11), and CTV-12.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might want to try a low-gain antenna like a DB-2 or Clearstream 2, in order to take advantage of the wide (> 60 degrees) beam-width.
The tricky part will be having to keep the low power Montreal stations (CJNT-(CITY), CFHD-(ICI), CFTU) out of the null, while still getting enough gain for WCFE. If Mountain Lake PBS is a priority, as well as the Montreal low power stations, you may end up needing a bifurcating 8 bay.

Note that within three years, some channels will change -- CFTM from 10 to 11, WVNY from 13 to 7, WFFF from 43 to 16, and WCAX from 22 to 20. This will actually make it easier to receive WVNY, as it will no longer be adjacent to any nearby stations. (CHLT 7 Sherbrooke will move to 8, but that should cause any issues for you as it is far enough away.)

Note that if you use an Antennas Direct UHF antenna like the Clearstream or the DB series, you'll need a separate VHF antenna (a simple loop will suffice after 2019, and possibly earlier) in order to get ABC-13(->7), TVA-10(->11), and CTV-12.
Thanks, thats very helpful.

With distribution to 4 televisions, would I also need a signal amplifier?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Probably. Splitting four ways reduces the power to each set by at least 6dB. That, together with cable losses, could potentially cause issues with the weakest signals, especially in rainy or foggy weather.

Note, when I said simple loop for VHF, I meant a simple dipole.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Splitting four ways is a reduction of 8 db at each port.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What TV Channels would a ......?

Hello I have a question.

What TV channels would a 102" to 110" antenna get just 1 Ariel?
in low VHF or Hi VHF or UHF just had a idea and I'm wanting to know if it would be a good idea.

and a AC Titan 7777 pre-amp can you input 300ohm or you need to input 75ohm?

1101 - 1110 of 1110 Posts