Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1110 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OTA reception Beaconsfield

Lynx62,

Your TV Fool report looks great, go with the CM4228HD antenna with its full width reflector rods that is better to get ABC.

You may need a medium gain pre-amplifier if you have a long run of coax cable between your antenna and your TV set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lynx62,

Your TV Fool report looks great, go with the CM4228HD antenna with its full width reflector rods that is better to get ABC.

You may need a medium gain pre-amplifier if you have a long run of coax cable between your antenna and you TV set.
Thanks Bouval.
That's exactly the conclusion that I'm coming to. I'll try it first without the mast mounted pre-amplifier, but I think I'm going to have over a 50 foot cable run, so I may need the amplification. Looks like I'm in no rush as I will be waiting for warmer spring weather to do the installation and install a grounding rod. Gives me lots of time to do some research and make plans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trying to figure out which antenna build would be best for me

First off, here's my TV Fool:

TV Fool

I'd like to pick up as much as I can from Ottawa (to the NE) as well as PBS from the USA to the SW. My first thought is some kind of GH that has decent gain both front and back.

I've looked at various antenna plans, but I'm having trouble finding a good balance between gain requirements and ease of construction. I have a 50' tower, but there are some pretty high winds here, so I need an antenna that's won't be pushed around much by the wind. I currently don't have a pre-amp, but I can buy one if I need to.

The only VHF channel I care about is channel 13... however, I'm wondering if there's a UHF build that will still be serviceable to channel 13.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
556 Posts
You're in an enviable location in that nearly all of the stations in which you're interested are in nearly opposite directions - ideal situation for a bidirectional antenna. In addition, the transmitters are all line-of-sight. Almost any medium- to high-gain bowtie or GH antenna without a reflector would serve you well.

For ease of construction, I would recommend you look at a bowtie rather than a GH, specifically the FF4 or FF6 designs by our member holl_ands (built without a reflector). Having no reflector will also eliminate any wind load issues.

If you have a long run of coax to you receiver, and or multiple receivers, you would need a pre-amp, however the inexpensive RCA model frequenly spoken of in these pages should do well as you don't have any really strong TV or FM signals in your location thst would cause overload.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I agree with DXer.

Looking down the road, if all 600 MHz plans are implemented as scheduled, CJOH-DT will move from channel 13 to 7, CITS from 42 to 15, CHRO from 43 to 35, CHOT from 40 to 32, and WCFE from 38 to 36.

The only issue I see is that you might possibly have adjacent channel issues between the new WCFE on 36 and CHRO on 35, although many tuners may be able to tolerate a 28dB difference in adjacent channels. (The fix for this may e simply to couple in a directional antenna for channel 36.) You would still have access to PBS via WNPI on channel 23.

Channel 26 (CKWS/CTV) from Spencerville may not come in that well, as it would probably suffer from severe ghosting. But since you would be getting your CTV programming from channel 13 (later 7), this should not be an issue. This channel is scheduled to be moving to channel 28 in 2019 (if it stays on the air.)

If you wanted ABC/CW from Watertown, you would need a dedicated directional antenna pointed towards it. WWTI will be moving from channel 21 to channel 31 in the summer of 2019. Because of the two adjacent channels from Herberts Corners, this might be a long shot for reliable reception.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the response, DXer. I hadn't considered a bowtie reflector, but after looking at the non-reflector FF6, it looks perfect for what I need including decent performance for Channel 13 (210Mhz). I have the NEC file here, so I have everything I need to build it.

However, one concern - I would have to mount the antenna on a steel TV tower. Any thoughts on how that would impact performance? I may be able to go high enough to mount it on the mast my wireless receiver is on, but I'd probably want to get a harness. That's 20'+ above my roofline (which itself is 35' high and a 12/12 pitch)

Edit: With the FF6, do the Feedline wires actually contact at the positions they cross in the design, or do they pass past each other without contacting? How have others built this?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The reflectorless FF6 has negative gain and a very bad SWR on channel 7, which you'll need for CJOH-DT after 2020.
At that point, a simple dipole mounted lower on the tower should suffice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the heads up regarding CJOH. I guess that's a bridge I'll cross in 2020 if I really miss it.

Edit: Clearly the OTA market means very little if they are moving deeper into VHF territory. They are the only station in the area in the VHF band at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@tvlurker - I missed your earlier post about the channel re-assignments. Thanks for the notice on that. I wasn't aware of the 600mhz reallocation. When I last looked into OTA in ~2010 for my old house, it wasn't a thing yet.

That naturally makes me wonder, since the highest frequency people will care about will be channel 36 / 608MHz, I wonder if it makes sense to start looking at re-optimizing the antenna designs stored here.

From the sounds of it, I may just go with a FF6 and CM-7777 and aim the antenna to try to make the best of the current situation, and re-evaluate once the 600MHz transition is complete.

Would the CM-7777 be overkill? I'd probably have ~55ft of RG6 to a 2-way splitter, than 10-30ft to the individual TVs. I guess that's only ~7DB of cable loss and 6db splitter loss, plus 1-3db in the tuner. The CM-7778 would be enough to overcome my the internal signal loss.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looking down the road, if all 600 MHz plans are implemented as scheduled, CJOH-DT will move from channel 13 to 7, CITS from 42 to 15, CHRO from 43 to 35, CHOT from 40 to 32, and WCFE from 38 to 36.
tvlurker, a little off-topic, but this is the first I've read about Canadian channel re-assignments. Where did you get this information from, and have you posted elsewhere about it?

Thanks,
DXer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Would the CM-7777 be overkill? I'd probably have ~55ft of RG6 to a 2-way splitter, than 10-30ft to the individual TVs. I guess that's only ~7DB of cable loss and 6db splitter loss, plus 1-3db in the tuner. The CM-7778 would be enough to overcome my the internal signal loss.
I would steer away from the CM7777 - way more gain than you need.

Your loss from a splitter would be about 3.5 dB. Tuner noise is of the order of 6-8 dB. Balun loss would be about 1.5 dB. Thus total system noise would be of the order of 19 dB. Using a typical pre-amp with 3 dB noise factor and 22 dB gain, your total system noise would come down to around 5 dB. Assuming an antenna gain of around 12 dBd, you end up with an improvement of 7 dB over the TVFool noise margins on UHF.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
@tvlurker - I missed your earlier post about the channel re-assignments. Thanks for the notice on that. I wasn't aware of the 600mhz reallocation. When I last looked into OTA in ~2010 for my old house, it wasn't a thing yet.
Of course, this is just the plan -- who knows what, if anything, the broadcasters will do with it.
That naturally makes me wonder, since the highest frequency people will care about will be channel 36 / 608MHz, I wonder if it makes sense to start looking at re-optimizing the antenna designs stored here.
The Canadian UHF channels to be reassigned in your neighbourhood (40,42, and 43) are all pretty close by to you at Herberts Corners, so I wouldn't worry about losing gain on those if you end up with a design that peaks at channel 36 instead of channel 51).
Channel 38 is moving to 36, so that's pretty close.
From the sounds of it, I may just go with a FF6 and CM-7777 and aim the antenna to try to make the best of the current situation, and re-evaluate once the 600MHz transition is complete.

You should probably make provisions for a separate VHF dipole to get CJOH on channel 7, since the FF6 may not be that good on channel 7. It should be fine for 13, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to OTA looking for recommendations

Hi all, new member here all though I have been reading these forums for quite some time.

Looking to install on a mast at 35 feet, but that can be changed depending on benefits.

Here is my tvfool: TV Fool

New to this so not sure how hopeful this looks or what I can realistically pull in. Pleas send your recommendations. Not looking to build my own, I would prefer to purchase what is needed.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
ihtravel,

Your best bet is a CM4228HD antenna, a CM7777 pre-amplifier and good RG6 coax cable.

With the antenna pointed at 110 degrees magnetic, you should get the four strongest channels from Montreal, CBS NBC from the States and possibly PBS from Lyon Mountain. Maybe more being in the Valley . . .

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you added a rotor you could bring in the Ottawa stations, as well as peak the antenna for the stations from South Colton (RF18 & 23).

Note that analog channel 8 is no longer on the air (since about May).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info. It would be great to be able to access Ottawa as well. If i were to go to the trouble of a rotor, would it be of any advantage to go with a unidirectional antenna instead of an 8 bay?

·
Registered
556 Posts
An 8-bay is uni-directional, even more so than a 4-bay. If you really wanted a chance at pulling in the weaker signals, you could use two 8-bays stacked together.

1081 - 1100 of 1110 Posts