Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1110 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've learned to never buy anything from international stores that use courier services for shipping. The fees jack up the costs in a huge way. They charge the regular duty/tax plus brokerage fees of $20-$50 or more depending on the value of the item. Canada post will charge the duty/tax plus a flat rate of $5. They often don't charge anything at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys

I have an attic mounted 2 bay antenna (Digiwave). One bay is pointing towards Mt Royal, the other one is pointing south. I also have a RCA amplifier. I get great reception for 24 channels (a truck load of PBS, NBC, FOX, CBS, all Mtl channels, including 47.1 and 62.1).

The only one I am not getting at all is ABC. Is there anything I could do to get ABC? I'm open to changing the antenna, or adding a VHF only one, but not sure where to start.

I would have put a CM antenna, but it wouldnt have fit my attic door...

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My initial set up was like that - both panels facing towards the States. I was getting great reception for the US channels (no ABC), but I wasn't getting all Mtl channels.

I then pointed one panel towards Mt Royal and got more Mtl channels (poor reception for 47.1 and 62.1). Which prompted me to put the RCA pre amp - now I get great reception in all channels, but no ABC. The preamp with the 2 panels aiming at the States wouldnt have probably made a difference, since the preamp is in the bedroom underneath the attic. I connected the antenna directly to a TV in that bedroom and no ABC (both panels towards the States)...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Camilleisfunky your antenna is UHF only. WVNY 22 is now on channel 13 which is VHF. In some rare cases people get ABC from here using UHF only antenna but it's not easy. Some people have success with CM 4228 8 bay. The good quality antenna has to be high and point precisely to Mount Mansfield with as little obstructions as possible. Your antenna is not top quality. It is installed in the attic. It would be a miracle for you do get WVNY 22 with your current setup.
Check the antenna section here for recommended retail or do it yourself antennas for VHF-Hi - UHF.
Regardless of the antenna you choose the results are not guaranteed. There are to many variables for each location. If you intend to buy a new antenna get it from a store where you can return it. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My results

Just wanted to share my results.

Location NDIP, Antenna OLD (20+yrs) CM4221, Amp new CM7777, 60ft RG6 to the first splitter 1 in - 3 out ( Feeds 1 HDTV, 1 HDHomerun HDHR4-2US, and 3rd line which is sent to basement),
That 3rd line (about 20ft) is split 2 ways to 2 HDTVs.

Results, I get every channel available and stable.
Using the andriod HDHomerun app I was able to "peak" the signal to WVNY while on the roof ( j-pipe about 25ft above ground), that app was a time saver for me.

BTW I had bought a HBU55 thinking it would help with WVNY, but being disappointed even with the CM7777, I installed the old CM4221 I had in the garage and amazingly everything came in and was stable with the amp.
The local channels do not get overloaded like they did when using the HBU55+CM7777.

These are readings from HDHR4-2US

WVNY Sig 74, SNR Quality 63, Sym Quality 100
WFFF Sig 69, SNR Quality 67, Sym Quality 100
WCAX Sig 99, SNR Quality 98, Sym Quality 100
WPTZ Sig 100, SNR Quality 98, Sym Quality 100

CJNT Sig 76, SNR Quality 64, Sym Quality 100

·
Registered
267 Posts
TheRedKnight your results are very impressive with antenna only 25' above ground. You must be close to water with no tree obstructions.
So you are catching WVNY and CJNT using only an old CM4221 (not HBU55), pointed to Mount Mansfield?
HBU55 is a beautiful antenna. Mounted on a high, old tower with a rotor would be a dream come true for most OTA enthusiasts.
Well it is impressive, but not impossible. Location is the key. I get all the channels with near 100%, but no luck with WVNY or CJNT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ogorek, Yes close to the water , but my house is surrounded by trees. I'll see what happens when they're full of leaves. On rainy days I lost WFFF and WVNY was unstable... I'm looking at getting a CM4228 in the future.
The HBU55 is for sale ;), it's brand new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Newbie in Châteauguay with reception issues

I apologize in advance if I put this under the wrong region. I just bought a house in Châteauguay and had an antenna installed on the roof by the same guy who installed my previous antenna when I lived on the Plateau (Mario Trottier). The antenna he installed is his HD Bunny, as he insisted that an 8-bay like what I had previously wouldn't be able to pick up Montreal signals from the side at the new place. He also sold me a booster for the antenna (no-name silver box about 4" x 2") that is plugged in by where the coax cable goes into the TV in the living room. There is no booster on the second TV in my bedroom. Surprisingly, I have no reception at all of CFCF, CIVM or CJNT on either TV with his set-up, despite favourable TV Fool numbers (see below). WCAX had perfect reception the first day, but has been completely absent since. WPTZ and WCFE are both rock solid and I only had very slight pixelation on WETK once, while WFFF is in and out. Is there anything I can do to modify his set-up so that I actually get what should be very strong Montreal signals and ideally WCAX and WFFF as well? He insists that my antenna just isn't high enough but based on the TV Fool results and the fact that most stations from both Burlington and Montreal come in, I'm suspicious. Thanks in advance for any advice.
TV Fool results:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0f10eb35fa0

·
Registered
20 Posts
I forgot to mention in the previous post, but CFCF came in fine with the $20 indoor antenna I bought from Canadian Tire to watch the hockey game on Friday night.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OTA reception Châteauguay

Samsquanch,

That Mario Trottier seems to screw a lot of people with his HD Bunny, he's clearing himself around 250 bucks with each install.

There's another guy on the French Forum who got swindled too :confused:

By the way, the HD Bunny is an indoor antenna. You'd have been better off with a CM4228HD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I saw that. The antenna he installed for me a year ago on the Plateau looks almost exactly like the CM4228HD. I think I may try to swing by the old apartment and see if I can get it down off the roof if it's still there. If nothing else, I can point it to Burlington and then use the HD Bunny indoors to pick up the Montreal stations, right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Samsquanch looks like you have been taken to the cleaners with this antenna. You should have come here first for advice before wasting your money on this....

If you want to invest some time into this OTA hobby, you can build and experiment with several cheap home made antennas. If you don't want to play with antennas, I always say, you should buy at a store where you could return the antenna as each indoor or outdoor antenna will yield different results for each location.

You said that WCFE is rock solid which leads me to believe that your antenna is not pointing in the right direction. WCFE is strong but it is not in the same direction as other US stations. You should carefully adjust your antenna for best possible reception of weak station like WFFF for example. Doing so will give you excellent reception of all US stations with the exception of WVNY. The level of WCFE should drop somewhat but it will still give you a decent reception. This thing is highly directional which is why you have poor or no reception of Montreal stations.

Most if not all serious OTA enthusiast on this forum would not even look at this do hickey as this is not an antenna for our multi-directional viewing area.

It looks like Channel Master CM 4040 knock-off which sell online for $19.99.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Samsquanch, rereading your post, #1049, you said that you had this cheap indoor antenna installed professionally on the roof of your new home. OMG what were you thinking. I hope for your sake that the antenna with installation, and the number of channels promised was guaranteed.

It is hard to believe that this "highly acclaimed", self-taught, professional installer with over 25 years in the antenna installation business and two favorable newspaper articles chose to install a cheap indoor directional antenna on a roof rather than a 8 bay outdoor antenna.

The original CM4221HD or CM4228HD give excellent results for our viewing area, with some people reporting also receiving WVNY. If you are on a budget 8 bay Channel Master knock-offs also give acceptable results but with no possibility of receiving WVNY.
With 8 bay antenna pointed at Mount Mansfield you should also receive most Montreal stations without the need to install any additional antennas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pincourt, QC

hi, I'm new around here.

like you guys, I want to get free o.t.a Channels.

still haven't bought any antenna. I need help to decide what to buy.

I live in Pincourt, Qc, j7w6c8.

here's the repport from tvfool:

TV Fool

I would like to know what should I buy to get the American channels (fox, cbs, nbc, pbs).

also, should I buy an amplified antenna or a non amplified antenna (I like the rca ant751r)

let me know what you guys think

thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nice TVFool. There are lots of signal out there for you to watch. The only problem is that you have s 70 degree separation between the American stations and the Montreal stuff. If you just want the American stuff, the RCA mounted outside should do nicely. Only get an amp if you have a long cable run or if you split it many times.

If you want both US and Montreal stations, you may want to get a rotor or two antennas. Check the faq on ganging. There is a fancy 8 bay with independently aimable halves (DB8e) that would might work too, though some folks report mixed results when pointing it in different directions. It's also very pricey.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Welcome here figo07, I put "Pincourt" into the Search This Thread tool and got lots of hits, so you'll have some good hints to start with. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for your help.

I'm trying to get as much information as possible in order to buy the right stuff.

and yes smallmj, I would like to get Americans and Canadians channels. so I will look into the db8e.

thanks again.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Do a search as Stampeder suggests before you shell out for a super expensive antenna. Always follow Stampeder's advice. He knows WAY more about this stuff than I do.

It may be as effective and much cheaper to have two ganged identical cheaper antennas with proper separation. See what other folks in your area use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all!

I just installed my 4228HD with a Winegard AP-8780 at home (about 25 feet elevation).

Reception is mostly great. FOX glitches from time to time, but I knew it would be hard to get from the start. CBS, NBC and PBS are rock solid, same with most Canadian channels, except CityTV. Nothing at all from that one. Any ideas why?

My antenna points at Mount Mansfield, but I guess I get the Mtl channel from the side (I'm in Pierrefonds, between St-Jean and Sources, North of Gouin).

As for ABC, I see a signal from the HDHomerun config software, but signal quality is at 0%.

1041 - 1060 of 1110 Posts