Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1110 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi Mr Bassett,

Although you are in the near fringe area for distance all of your useful signals are Line of Sight, and the ones that I would aim for are at most 46 miles away. Unless you have local obstructions or major trees you probably can use a medium bowtie antenna from the chart. You'll need some VHF-HI reception if you want CJOH on 13.

It might be interesting to enter a higher elevation for your report, since you have a mast available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I've redone the chart for a 50'ft elevation. Switching to digital only it seems that the majority of channels are on 323/324 degrees and only two LOS directly opposite on 146 degrees. That said an antenna like the DB4e gets around 5/6dB of gain at around 90 degrees to the side, which might be enough to pick up something at the 108/192 range which could increase that to ~8 channels.

Looking at the spec sheet for the DB8e though, I notice that it is effectively two DB4e on an adjustable frame which allows them to be turned independently of each other. Given a single DB8e is less expensive than two DB4e combiner bits, I wonder that this might be a better approach, I see that the chart says that it may get some VHF-HI, but is that only when the two array's are facing in the same direction, or just if I'm lucky?

It seems a little nuts to also have to get two VHF-HI antennas for two channels ([email protected] on 13 and [email protected] on 7).

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Forget about bifurcating antennas. A bent 8 bay will have a similar pattern to a 4-bay.
You can see this if you look at the antenna specifications on the Antennas Direct website.

I suspect a 4-bay pointed at WWNY/WNPI in South Colton will pick up all 14 Ottawa stations, plus CBS/Fox and PBS/World/Create from South Colton and PBS/World/MHzWorldview from Plattsburgh. (It might also work the other way round, but this way you're evening out the receive levels between the front and back sides of the antenna.

There is no need to get an antenna for WWNY-DT 7, as it is identical to WWNY-CD on channel 18 (logical 28). I would try for 13 with the 4-bay, first. It will probably work (and don't worry about the direction, as a 4-bay is not really that directional at VHF.) The only issue is that an Antennas Direct 4-bay's balun might not pass VHF, in which case a simple dipole connected through a UHF/VHF splitter would probably be enough for 13.

All in all, you should be able to get 17 signals, of which 3 add 4 unique subchannels (PBS World is duplicated on WNPI and WCFE), for a total of 21 unique stations (including 4 in French).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Tvlurker,

Thanks for your reply, that sounds like a much simpler (and cheaper) set up. Can I just check that I've understood the theory correctly (as I'm still learning an want to make sure that I've understood).

The DB4e gets around 14dB of gain at the front and something like -10 to -18dB of gain on the back. Because anything in the Ottowa direction is likely to be pretty strong (upwards of 30dB according to TV fool) then I am pretty safe trying to receive signal from the back of the antenna because it will still be receiving a good signal (e.g. 30dB - 18dB = 12dB). Pointing the antenna then towards the states will boost those far signals and improve the signal there; as you say evening out the two sides.

Regarding any other equipment like a pre-amp; I should see what my signal is like once I hook up the splitter and then decide.

Sorry for being a muppet and asking so many questions, just want to check that I have this right.
Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Stampeder, I hate asking a dumb question but - how do i find the reply to my notes?!

I clicked on your link and checked pages around the date of my original note to find the two from ChannelMaster and BOUVAL.

Many thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi guys, I need help with my reception...

All was great until about 6 months ago when I started having difficulty getting NBC 5.1. ABC 22.1 was alway iffy.

TV FOOL IS :
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d2432fc88403ac

I have a HBU33 rooftop mounted at about 45 feet. It is hooked up to the Channe Master Titan 2 7777.

CBS and all other channel are great. I don't get 29.1, 47.1 and 62.1. My antenna is pointing towards Mount Mansfield and I move it to much - even a few degrees - toward Mount Royal I lose all signal from the US.

Any Idea why NBC has gone kaput on most days? Is it Global's signal interfering. I'ts coming the strongest.

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
NBC is a strong station, and I wonder if the CM 7777 (30dB gain) is overloading your tuner. It may be a hassle to get to the rooftop, but you may want to test the signal without the CM 7777 to see if the reception improves on your missing stations.

You could also run some tests with a variable attenuator to reduce the gain. Too much gain would most certainly be the cause of your problem if you have sensitive OTA tuner, as is the case for anyone with a TiVo Premiere. I have a HBU33 with a preamp in my installation, and I loose most channels on my TiVo if I remove my $10 Antennas Direct 1296F variable attenuator because the tuners are overpowered by my antenna and preamp setup.

I included a CM-7778 (only 16dB gain) in the installation of a similar antenna (ANT-751) close to your location, and there aren't any reception problems for any of the channels that you list.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for your reply Walter.

I considered that my setup was overpowering, but I'm discarding that has being my issue.

I have had the same set-up for almost three years now. NBC and CBS were equally strong until several months ago.

I'm pointing a finger at Global's antenna overpowering the reception of NBC. Global is channel 13 and NBC is channel 14.

Anybody know how to attenuate a specific channel's reception?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Actually, channels 13 and 14 are nowhere near each other on the spectrum. Channel 13 is 210-216 MHz, and OTA channel 14 is 470-476 MHz. I know it doesn't seem logical, but that is the way the spectrum is allocated for historical reasons. btw, cable channel 14 is ~120-126 MHz, which is in a big block of frequencies between channel 6 and channel 7.

Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reception problem with NBC 5.1

Well, thanks for the info.

I can now safely rule that has being my problem. Any idea what is my problem?

I just don't get it. CBS 3.1 and NBC 5.1- which are broadcasting from the same spot - were coming equally strong until 3-4 months ago.

There must be a reason why I lost NBC 5.1, while keeping CBS 3.1 just as strong...

Many thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
931 Posts
They had some transmitter problems in March, but those were apparently fixed by early April. Colour me flummoxed.

Are other folks in your area able to receive NBC?

·
Registered
12 Posts
RE: Reception problem with NBC 5.1

Actually, to add to your bewilderment, I have been having the same issues as Martinus in obtaining 3.* (CBS) and 5.* (NBC) and 57.* (PBS Mountain Lake), but on the same nights 22.* (ABC) comes in just fine. I know there's the difference between UHF and VHF, but still odd to me. I thought I had resolved the issue as I had recently discovered that I had a bad cable in my setup, but the problem is still persists. I was actually looking into replacing my tv tuner in my HTPC as a result of this problem. I'm kind of glad someone else has the same symptoms. I've played around with 2 preamps (AP-8700 and AP-8275), but both had the same results. These channels used to be rock solid, but not anymore.

I have a DBGH with NARODs (UHF & VHF-Hi), pointing at 157 degrees, in my attic with a ap-8275 preamp. I do have a SBGH, pointing at 95 degrees, combined into the same line. Everything was working fine up until spring. Wasn't much of an issue during the summer months, but I'm looking into resolving the issue now. My TVFool signal analysis can be reviewed at http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d243d779f92920. I'll do some troubleshooting on my end. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try. I'll post my resolution once it's discovered.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Today, it's a beautiful sunny day. I have absolutely no signal from NBC 5.1 and ABC 22.1. They usually come in respectively at 18-20 dB and 16-18 dB.

Mind you, when they do come in the pictures breaks up from time to time. Rarely do I get a perfect lock since the Spring...

To help you help me - if you care - Fox is coming in with 24 dB and CBS at 28 dB.

Thanks alot for your input!

Martin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Problem solved!

Beautiful day again today. I had given up on getting NBC 5.1 or ABC 22.1.

So, after realizing Saturday evening that the Habs were no longer on CBC and that they would be on CityM 62.1, I went up to the rough today to realign my antenna more towards Montreal thant Mt. Mansfield.

I don't what I did, but quicly I found out that my setup was completly useless. All I was getting was RC 2.1 and CBC 6.1.

To make a long story short, I found out that I had an extremely wet - as in water dripping out of - balun...

It had been taped up to the connector of my pre-amp.

Dried it, reainstalled the antenna in my driveway and voilà! Everything, and I mean everything came in...

2.1 100%
3.1 80%
5.1 90%
6.1 100%
10.1 100%
12.1 100%
15.1 100%
17.1 100%
22.1 60%
24.1 60%
29.1 60%
33.1 80%
37.1 60%
44.1 70%
57.1 80%
62.1 60%

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
weird - whats going on

after nearly 5 years of perfect reception (almost) on all US channels, including ABC, Fox, and CBS -

BAM - they are all GONE - no reception (except CBS sometimes pops in...)

this started last week - does anyone know whats going on with the reception patterns

i decided to retry with a preamp, which used to work well also, although wasnt really required - and BAM - NO CHANNELS, not even CTV, im assuming total overload - but I tried 3 amps, including Kitztech (which ALWAYS helps no matter location), CM 7777(which I hate anyway), and another ...all the same

I wonder if something is added in the area to do overload, on the weak US channels, or did Mt Royal increase the power on the locals....:confused:

im using a modified HD4400 winegard, on rotor, at 35 ft, and about 80 ft coax to a single tv,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well well well. Out of the blue, cjnt decided to pop up on my TV tonight. Could the fact that most of the leaves dropped from the trees? I only get about 40% strength and 75% quality on my LG TV.

981 - 1000 of 1110 Posts