17 Posts
well, finally i got a 4228. i installed on the weekend but i'm just getting
src 2.1
nbc 5.1
cbc 6.1
pbs 57.1
nothing else
what could possibly be the problem?
i believe fox and cbs are on mt. mansfield as well, so why am i not getting them?
antenna is at 20' and i running a 100' cable.

·
Registered
480 Posts
57.1 is not on Mt. Mansfield. You might be aiming in the wrong direction.

3.1, 5.1, 33.1 and 44.1 are on Mansfield. Analog 22 and 33 are also on Mansfield. You might try to aim so that those channels are crystal clear. That should help you get the missing digital channels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no, i tried. might try again, but from my location 57.1 is at 201* and 3.1 and the others at mt. mansfield are at 155*.
right now, i'm aiming at 155*. if i go more east, i start loosing 57.1 (which is normal) but even 3.1 start getting weak.

·
Registered
390 Posts
well, finally i got a 4228. i installed on the weekend but i'm just getting
src 2.1
nbc 5.1
cbc 6.1
pbs 57.1
nothing else
what could possibly be the problem?
i believe fox and cbs are on mt. mansfield as well, so why am i not getting them?
antenna is at 20' and i running a 100' cable.
1: RG6 Cable?
2: Connector? If you made them your self are you sure they really good.
3: 100' cable is a lot without a pre-amp.
4: Do you have a Splitter?

Possible solution:

1:Check your Connecter.
2:Install a Pre-Amp or Install a Amp has close has you can to the antenna.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1: RG6U (i dont know what this U means). bought it at vox-master.
2: not too happy with the connector a made myself. it's one on those screw-in connectors.
3: yes, a 100' not pre-amp.
4: no, no splitter.

so, you think i should redo the connectors and probably get a pre-amp?
should i try rising up the antenna? or, since i'm getting 5.1 (nbc) it is an ok height.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well, i bought the connectors and plier. now my connectors look the best i've ever seen, but still same situation. no signal for 3, 33, and 44. just getting 2, 5, and 6.

·
Registered
390 Posts
well, i bought the connectors and plier. now my connectors look the best i've ever seen, but still same situation. no signal for 3, 33, and 44. just getting 2, 5, and 6.
Do you have 0% signal or just can't lock?

How is analog 33 and 22 (You can also use those to adjust your antenna.)
How is analog 52 and 49? (If anything)
What is the signal strength for 57.1?

Option:
Raise the antenna if you can.
You could also try different location for your antenna.
100' of cable is alot Install a pre-amp or install a 10 db amp has close has possible to the attenna.
Double check the connection of the Balun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
0 signal.
on 5.1 and 57.1 is at 80%
havent tried the analogs yet.
i tried tvfool with differents heights and it comes out to pretty much the same thing.
what should be better, the pre-amp or amp?

·
Registered
390 Posts
what should be better, the pre-amp or amp?
pre-amp (Not to powerfull to avoid overload).

i tried tvfool with differents heights and it comes out to pretty much the same thing.
Real life is different than tvfool (tvfool give a good idea but it's not perfect). Moving an antenna Right Left up and down of just a few feet often make a difference, there's hot spots and cold spots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks a lot.
a couple of feet up and a pre-amp did the trick.
now, reception is at full, and from time to time i get choppy image.
what could that be?

·
Registered
390 Posts
what could that be?
What are the signal strenght for the channel you get choppy image?
Wich pre-amp did you install?

·
Registered
390 Posts
what could that be?
Could be the tuner...If you get 95% stable then I don't think it's related to your reception but might be a tuner problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ormstown (southern Quebec)

We live in Ormstown (southwestern Quebec) near the US border and have had a tower antenna for many years. Last week we bought a HD digital TV. Yesterday we were finally able to figure out how to scan for digital channels. We found only US channels, even though we are only 50km from Montreal. When I checked the CBC website I noted that they have a digital section and that apprears to be available only to satelite or cable customers. Question: Is there really no CBC or CTV signal OTA in digital format? If there is, what are we doing wrong?

We have a 50ft tower that used to be a CB tower years ago. We got a new antenna last year (don't know the make but it is ordinary looking) when the old one got fryed in a lightning bolt. We have a Channel Master Spartan 3 booster. Here are the US channels digital and HD channels that we get:

WFFF-HD
WFFF-DT
WCFE-HD
WCFE-D1
WCFE-D2
WCAX-HD
WCAXTRA (weather station)
WPTZ-HD
WPTZ-WX
WVNY-HD
VPT-HD
VPT-2
VPT-3
VPT-4
and WVNY-DT which is just a rainbow bar call signal

So with all these fabulous channels (especially the high quality HD) available from our antenna, you'd think that we would be able to get CBC or CTV in digital.

Do these Canadian channels have any restriction on transmitting digital signals (contracts with cable and satelite companies), or are they just "behind the times"?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Montreal DT stations

Here are the only Montreal DT stations currently on air. All are low powered, and their transmitters are are not located on Mt. Royal

19 - CBFT-DT (SRC)
20 - CBMT-DT (CBC)
42 - CFJP-DT (TQS)

Also to note, I don't get any of them either. All the DT channels I get are from the US side of the border.

Nice, eh!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi Joybell. We have other posters in this thread from your area so have a look through it for their info.

From 50km south of Montreal if you want to get both U.S. and Montreal stations you will need either:
  • an antenna with a figure eight reception pattern that receives from both directions north and south
  • one antenna on a rotor
  • two antennas (one pointed north joined by one pointed south)
  • one omnidirectional (UFO-style) antenna if it can get the Montreal stations

·
Registered
15 Posts
One antenna on a rotor

I forgot to mention that we do have a rotor to turn the antenna, and have pointed in the direction where we get the Montreal analog signals from - but no digital channels can be found.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Is your old antenna a large VHF/UHF Combo antenna? I think what's going on is that the Montreal stations are probably too weak even though you are only 50km away - does your new HDTV show you signal strengths of the digital stations?

101 - 120 of 747 Posts