Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
741 - 760 of 760 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Merci rabbit, bonne et heureuse année à vous.
Strangely, today while it's snowing with big winds, my tv reception is pretty good.
I saved this thread and will use it to troubleshoot my problem when the weather will be warmer.
Thank you again
Pierre

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good afternoon. Are CBMT, CBFT, and possibly CJNT off the air this afternoon? I can't seem to pick up any of them today from just across the border. CKMI, CFHD and all of the other French UHF stations are still coming in nicely today.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here in Sherbrooke, QC, CBMT and CBFT work both very well. I don't know about CJNT, it is way too far and too low power to have a signal here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
WXAC and WPTZ vs. wind

Has anyone else noticed reception issues with both WCAX and WPTZ on windy days? I'm guessing it's related to the temporary tower setup. I use an in-attic 4 bay UHF antenna, so my end shouldn't really be affected by the wind directly.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
That is a classic symptom of trees possibly in the signal path.

·
Registered
97 Posts
True Rabbit, however I've only experienced this since they've moved to the temporary tower and lower power. I was just curious if others are noticing the same. I don't have any nearby trees in my path.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know what is going on in Sherbrooke. My HDTV Homerun tuner brings in channels 7, 11 and 24 but not 9 CKSH. My Tivo tuner brings in none of them except Global 11 but only when I set the number and it gives me PBS listings. . Any help? I'm a French teacher and want the french stations

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Does anyone know what is going on in Sherbrooke. My HDTV Homerun tuner brings in channels 7, 11 and 24 but not 9 CKSH. My Tivo tuner brings in none of them except Global 11 but only when I set the number and it gives me PBS listings. . Any help? I'm a French teacher and want the french stations
You'll need to rescan.

And you'll need to rescan again mid-week to get the changes in the Vermont and Lyon Mountain (WCFE) stations.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good evening,

Receiving CJNT here in Swanton, VT has been my biggest challenge over the last few years. I would say I have a perfect signal about 75% of the time, while other times, it will pixelate or drop entirely. I'm clearly receiving off some weird ground reflection. Below is the position which gets the most consistent and strongest signal (SNR of ~ 18-22, with some drops to 14):

For the fun of it today, I used an old RTL-SDR card I had hanging around and tried out a freeware utility called Spektrum, which turns it into a poor man's spectrum analyzer. CJNT is 488-494MHz on the below chart:

As you can see, I'm getting basically full signal strength for CBMT and CBFT. Also, notice the LTE up in the 700MHz range. This is while using an older Channel Master 7777 preamp. In the past, I've tried swapping out the preamp to one of the RCA ones, but CJNT used to disappear.

Based on the graph above, does this look like I'm potentially over-amplifying here? I also question if an LTE filter would do much - but again, I tried one in the past, and it also took out CJNT's faint signal in the process.

Another thought would be to swap the XG91 antenna out with a DB8e at this point, but I'm not sure I'm up to doing that - as it would be crapshoot if I'd actually improve signal - especially with my odd orientation pointing at the nearby field.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I finally installed today (with the great Indian summer weather) the Stellar Lab 30-2476 at my location (Beloeil near McMasterville)

This morning on the meter of the TiVo, I was receiving WVNY at 57 % with the Delhi 10y13s and a KT-100 preamp.

After the change, I was receiving WVNY at 67% with 30-2476.

I decided to install back my favorite preamp, my old and trusty CM7777 with separate inputs. It did really help, I was at 75 %.

I was receiving WVNY at 80 % with the Delhi and CM7777 before the Repack.

I am a bit disappointed with the build quality of the Stellar Labs. it not in the same league as the Delhi. The gain is a bit disappointing also but It will help me with the rain fade.

Anyways, my two cents.

Reactions: Qpats

·
Registered
250 Posts
Since the repack I had totally lost WVNY . I used to always receive it before.

During the night I was surprised to see I received it clearly. This morning I have some pixels especially when a car passes by the house. I have a cellular antenna about 800m away. I wonder if it would help to add an LTE filter from Channel Master to my CM 7777 amplifier? Have WVNY modified their pattern or increased their antenna strength recently?

·
Registered
47 Posts
WVNY is a VHF signal - RF 7 and remaps to UHF 22. Typically VHF signals shouldn't be affected by LTE signals, because the spectrum between the two is so different. Reception of VHF can be very finicky and especially true if the antenna you are using isn't optimized for VHF 7-13. And WVNY's signal pattern doesn't favor a strong signal to the north...

A cellular LTE filter would definitely help your upper UHF frequencies, specifically RF 29 and above, but I don't believe you would see much difference on a VHF frequency. Looking at the FCC's LMS file for WVNY doesn't show any recent activity with their equipment or changes in the signal contour.

·
Registered
250 Posts
WVNY is a VHF signal - RF 7 and remaps to UHF 22. Typically VHF signals shouldn't be affected by LTE signals,,,,,,
Thanks for the response. I'm using an older type Wineguard antenna that's directional pointed at Mount Mansfield. It's like the ones that were made for VHF Low and High along with UHF signals. WVNY is the only one giving me problems. I received my LTE filter from Amazon today. As soon as it's warmer and the snow is all cleared I'll install to the CM7777 amplifier in the antenna. Is there a filter I could use to block CHLT Sherbrooke (never watch CHLT) that's broadcast on channel 8? I'm not sure if it interferes slightly with the signals quality from channel 7 WVNY. Also, what steps can I do to improve my signal quality besides replacing the aging antenna wire with a brand new R6 one?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Velix, if you are on the South Shore, I doubt that CHLT is strong enough to cause you any trouble. Besides, it would be perpendicular to WVNY.

Since they moved to their new antenna that limits signal to the north, WVNY is very difficult to catch.

Reactions: intravino

·
Registered
167 Posts
Velix....if you change the coax go with RG11 a bit thicker copper core that could help with your weaker signals. Worth the try imo....

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know what they did but the signal for channel WVNY is coming in stronger than before. I can now point my antenna in a sweet spot between Mount Mansfield and Plattsburgh to get both WVNY and the PBS channels of WCFE. I had lost WVNY with the repack. Before I also had to point directly South at Mount Mansfield for WVNY. To get the Plattsburgh WCFE PBS stations I had to point it Southwest a little more.

·
Registered
404 Posts
New 3.6 NN. News Network.

Edit for correction!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not CBS News but "3 News Now" which is a mix of local news and weather.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Defy channel 5.4

741 - 760 of 760 Posts