Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

701 - 720 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
So, I had to move the 91XG back to the original location, which pretty much wiped out receiving 62 CJNT for a few days, but it has been rock solid since about 12/24 (when all the snow around the area melted away). Not a single bit of pixelation whenever watching it now, as well.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with 62 / CJNT?
Hello Jay. I may not be in the proper thread for this, but since I just now noticed your location in Swanton VT, I'm curious about some things having lived on the southern tip of Isle Lamotte (in the pre-digital era).

Now can I ask what's the furthest you've been able to pick up with your 91XG pointing South and West.

For instance, have you ever been able to pick up WGBH (on lake effect) or decoded some channels in the NYC or Albany market???

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello bouval, where can I get instructions to build something like this? Also, will I haveha good chance of getting NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS if I use this antenna in Brossard?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you Bouval, I went to Mastervox last night and I was welcomed by a 15 foot poster for videotron. I still walked in and tried to get some face to face OTA advice with the clerk but he kept on reassuring me that if I wasn't willing to install a 75 foot tower I would have little chance in obtaining channels (let alone american channels.) He then told me if I wanted to waste my time (and money) that I should go to tvfool.com. I am clearly not deterred.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After connecting an old indoor antenna behind my Samsung 2014 TV, I am able to get the following tv channels. The TV + antenna are on the first floor of a 2 storey home.

I am interested in the english channels. I am able to get the following channels but I can't get CTV:

6-1 CBMT-DT CBC ~65%
15-1 CKMI-HD Global ~30% (no issues with reception though)
62-1 CJNT-DT City TV ~30% (No issues with reception though)

Still researching this thread to determine whether I should spend money on an outdoor antenna (CM4228/CM4221) or spend time building my own. Is it easy to hook up a preamp to DIY 4 bay antenna?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi buyabook. You're quoting some very old posts of mine!!! Nonetheless, the point being that if you can grab a hold of a CM4228a (I sold two last year), you can create a larger-than-design reflector by bringing both reflector grids together so that they touch in as many points along the vertical axis as possible. This is usually achieved by fastening tie-wraps every inch or so.

Doing so substantially increases gain on channels 7 to 13.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just got my CM 4228 installed in Longueuil. I live near the tunnel.

Now for the good part: I get ABC (WVNY), as well as all the other American channels. The only Canadians I don't get are 62.1 and the ethnic channel whatever it is. No loss.

ABC came in at around 55-60 today at the antenna, and slightly lower at the TVs (I'm distributing with a preamp and 4 way splitter).

·
Registered
40 Posts
It appears that my Kitz amp was part of the problem. It was extremely warm and drawing 140ma on Thursday. Stone cold and no UHF reception on Friday (I'm not amping VHF). Back for warranty repair it goes.
My TVfool is 'interesting", I'm not supposed to be watching anything but PBS.
TV Fool
CBMT and CBFT are torches that come in without an amp, have sometimes hit me at 100% with the amp on. TVfool makes no mention of them.
CFCF and CFTM come in all the time without an amp. CIVM and CFJP are also always there using a Kitz amp. CKMI comes in more often than not with the amp.
CFTU, CFHD, and CJNT were variable, typically would come in at least from 8 to 10:30 PM. May go back to ganging those antennas horizontally when I get the amp back.
Fortunately easy to work on as they are only 4 feet off the ground. I lose signal quickly if I try to raise them. Weird, but mostly watchable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CM4221 and VHF13 reception in Longueiul, QC

Hello. I have been doing a lot of reading about OTA reception and this Website is great.
I live in Longueuil on the South shore and I am able to get a total of 24 channels with 100% signal strength with the exception of ABC22 - WVNY-DT. Even Fox44 comes in at 100%. For ABC, on good days, the signal strength will be at 45-50%, on bad days down to 15-20%. I have a CM4221 in the attic with a CM7778 preamp. The only way for me to catch ABC with my antenna was to wrap the top antenna whiskers in aluminium foil and extend them a little bit. Without the aluminium foil, I do not get a reception for ABC22. I tried a CM777 preamp to see if it would help and it made the reception worst. (Overload) I feel like I do not need a whole lot more to get a reliable signal with ABC. I know the VHF gain is about 3.5 dB for the CM4221.
Without getting another antenna, is there anything else I can try to improve ABC? I do not want to put the antenna outside for now as I am getting a solid reception with all my channels pretty much. I thought about getting a CM2018 but I am afraid the lower beam width will affect my reception for the other channels. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try no pre-amp. The extra split for the amp can lose about 3 db. Without the pre-amp split, I can get marginal signals that I would lose. A pre-amp doesn't boost lost signals. It only helps transmit solid ones further down the line. But if the rest are 100% you may not need to boost them.

laurie in Ladner BC with a DB8e on the roof.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I know the VHF gain is about 3.5 dB for the CM4221.
That is not enough gain for WVNY. You need to add another antenna for VHF and combine it with the 4221 with a UVSJ. Try an MCM 30-2475 or 30-2476:
Stellar Labs Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-Hi HDTV 174 - 230MHz | 30-2475 (302475) | Stellar Labs

It is inexpensive, has poor instructions, but should work OK.

UVSJ

Pico Macom UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner for Antenna (UVSJ) from Solid Signal

UVSJ UHF-VHF Band Separator Combiner ? MJ Sales, Inc.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/UHF-VHF-Antenna-Combiners.html
Save and Replay has it

Do not use a 7777; it will be overloaded by your strong local stations.

Don't get a CM2018, it isn't any better than your 4221 for UHF, unless you decide you want UHF and VHF in one antenna.

You have some strong local FM transmitters that might interfere with the reception of WVNY. Make sure that the FM filter is IN (default position) if you use the 7778.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/7044939933/Radar-FM.png

The FM signal report is based on my estimate of your location, because I don't know your exact location.

If you don't use the 7778 you should add an FM filter. You might even need the external filter with the 7778 filter in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally got the 2475 VHF antenna from Stellar labs. I can now get a signal strength between 70 and 75% for ABC 22. I haven't been able to fine tune everything but for an attic install it seems reliable enough. One more question:

I ordered a UHF/VHF combiner from MCM electronics and didn't notice it had a 1.5 insertion loss. Now some of my channels are 5 to 7 % weaker than before. Would it be worth it to switch to another combiner which has a lower insertion loss i.e 0.5 db?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I combined my antennas I am having weird signal issues. WCAX Channel 3, UHF22 used to be rock solid at 100%. Fox 44, is a lot weaker but I am still getting full signal strength. I am now losing WVNY...was getting it at 75% + yesterday...
Could it be an issue with my preamp? (CM7778) It is only 2 months old.
I just don't understand why I am losing WCAX.

·
Registered
88 Posts
CFCF 12.1 - Varying signal?

Good afternoon,
I live just across the border in Vermont, and up until recently, I've had no problems picking up practically all of the Montreal TV stations. However, something seems to have changed with CFCF 12.1 over the last few weeks. At times, I have perfect signal, other times, the SNR drops off and the video signal turns to garbage. I use an Antennacraft Y5-7-13 and one of the RCA signal amplifiers to receive both 10.1 and 12.1. 10.1 has a rock solid signal, as always. 12.1 is the only problematic channel.

My antenna is inside of my garage attic. This setup has been in place now for over a year, working fine until 2 weeks ago. I've attempted repointing the antenna, but the issues still remain.

WVNY 13.1 is exactly 180 degrees from Montreal for me, and this antenna cannot pick up WVNY 13.1 even if I spin it around to point it at Mt. Mansfield, so I don't think it's co-channel interference, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else has been experiencing the same issues with CFCF 12.1, or if this just appears to be my setup.

Thanks!
-Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping to catch some of the Olympics on NBC

Howdy! New to this OTA scene, having picked up an 8 bay UHF antenna to be able to enjoy the Olympics. I live in Chambly, and installed my new antenna in the attic (and hope to leave it there, and not have to deal with setting it up on my steeply pitched roof).

After fiddling with the direction each half of the antenna is pointing last week, I could easily pick-up all the Montreal stations, as well as CBS (and Movies!), NBC (and CW Plus and MeTV), and PBS (and PBS Plus, Create, and World) broadcasting from Mount Mansfield (some 110 kilometers away). Mountain Lake PBS (and Worldview, and World), coming in from Lyon Mountain (some 95 km away) also come in loud and clear.

Now that The Games have begun, I'm super happy that we can watch it on CBC, but I find that NBC (channel 5.1) is completely unreliable. The signal strengh seems unchanged from before, varying between 40% and 45%, but it drops it constantly... Part of what's confusing me is that the signal's "Effective Power" (according to TVFool) should be 103.8 kW, while Vermont PBS is crystal clear from the same mountain with and "Effective Power" of 90 kW... Does anyone have any guidance for me on how strong a signal needs to be for it to be reliable?

Also, what I'm wondering if I should throw $$$ at an amplifier, or if that might garble other signals that are coming in perfectly fine... I note that my antenna has two halves -- one of which points towards the US, and the other points towards Montreal -- and that each half has a short coaxial lead that join together before my long coaxial winds its way down to my television... I'm wondering if I could/should put an amplifier on the US pointing side only (and leave the Montreal pointing side well enough alone), or is that likely to mess things up even further...

Anyone have any experience with such matters?

Edit: Follow-up question, I wasn't 100% sure that 50 feet of coax would be enought to reach my TV from the antenna in the attic, and so went with 75 feet, which I now know is too much... What are the chances that the extra 25 feet of coax is having a negative effect on my signal at the television?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dave:

Please post your tvfool report, to see the signals at your location. Even your postal code would be an improvement. Here is a generic report for Chambly centered on the intersection of Boulevard Lebel and Boulevard Fréchette, but it might not be accurate enough for good advice.
TV Fool

How does NBC do if you aim both panels at it?
I'm super happy that we can watch it on CBC
CBOT CBC is listed waaaay down on the generic report, in the not likely area. How did you do that, a Tropo event?

701 - 720 of 749 Posts