Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 749 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I don't want to contradict Stampeder but Obberius has an even better way to list channels!
That's okay with me, but uniformity is good too, so remember that there are already hundreds of reports here at DHC in the simpler format. Just make sure when you post results that they are very readable for newcomers. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm getting WCAX (CBS) at 97% today, with perfect lock! I usually get it at ~80%, with a pretty weak lock. None of my other stations are getting improved reception. I hope this is a permanent boost on WCAX's end!

·
Registered
106 Posts
New to OTA in St-Isidore near Chateauguay

HI everyone,

I just read what I had to read before posting and know a lot more than before,great forums guys

Before getting gear up,I wanted to know what channels HD would be available in my area,I live in St-Isidore near Chateauguay on the south shore of MTL.I know I can get SRC CBC and CBS HD for sure.What the best site that I can enter my location and see what I can get.(Big fan of the BILLS,anyones knows if they is a broadcast OTA from Buffalo that gives the games)

I am thinking of getting a CM 4228 for the UHF and a WADE VIP for the VHF

where can I fing the spec of a Quamtum 1110-1115,is this VHF antenna is better than a WADE?

I am going to buy a new TV soon with a ATSC tuner integrated.thinking about a JVC.

anyones knows if they are projectors with a ATSC tuner?

thanks in advance

J

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
jtheman,

the answers are here but you'll need to search.

Please see this thread for reception results in you area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
thanks Hugh

Ive already look that tread and still looking in yahoo for info on the 1110-1115 CM quantum specs

IT is really worth it getting the 5 USA network in HD,NFL is going to be awesome in HD

still dont know if there is projectors with atsc tuners tough,will continu my reasearch

J

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jtheman, your Burlington, Vermont reception results near Chateauguay will be very similar to those reported in St-Eustache and the West Island, but maybe just a bit better if there are no obstructions.
I am thinking of getting a CM 4228 for the UHF
Excellent choice.
and a WADE VIP for the VHF
I recommend a Wade VIP 306SR for your location, or you could go one size smaller to a 305.
where can I fing the spec of a Quamtum 1110-1115,is this VHF antenna is better than a WADE?
Those Quantum VHF models have not been built by Channel Master in many years, so you will probably not find any specs online for them anywhere anymore. If you can find a dealer who has one brand new in a warehouse somewhere and the price is comparable to the Wade, think about buying one because the Quantums were the best VHF antennas ever made. The lower the model number, the stronger it is. I own a CM Quantum 1111 :) Having said that, the Wade VIP models are now the best VHF antennas being made anywhere and you will be very happy with one, so don't waste much time looking for a Quantum. I think OTA geeks grabbed all of them already... :D
dont know if there is projectors with atsc tuners
Not a problem - you can buy an ATSC tuner STB and plug it into the projector with many different kinds of connector.

Lets keep this thread on how to get the best reception. There are other threads in the OTA Forum for ATSC tuners.

·
Registered
106 Posts
thanks for the info stampeder

cant wait to be hook up and there is no obstruction where I am there are fields everywhere :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is it normal that with 68% I can get no picture

HI
I live in St-rémi on the south shore of MTL and before I use to get my HD channels even with 33% of signal on my tv streght meter.Now I have cbs at 88% but it says poor signal quality and my other station are at 68% and poor dignal quality,they were working before,I didnt move my antenna and the wind neither.I have SRC at 88% with a picture and pbs 33 at 68% with a picture.....for now I only use a uhf-vhf combo antenna real cheap and small so I guess I am lucky to get something....anyways my cm 4228 is on the way next way and I will hook up a wade vip 305 or better too so I guess my signal quality will be much much better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Boucherville - advice on attic reception?

I spent a couple of hours reading all over this detailed forum, so I know attic installations aren't the best, but masts and outdoor antennas are verboten in my suburb (the tiny dishes are allowed, but only in the rear of a house).

Here's my current setup : new house built in 2006, wood frame with full masonery façade and first floor, aluminium siding on other sides on 2nd floor, tall roof (asphalt shingles over OSB and wood trusses). 2 tv sets : late '90s Toshiba 27" in living room and tiny Sears (Sanyo) 14" in the playroom (both on first floor and near big windows). The 27" uses a powered Recoton top-of-the-set "rabbit ears", the 14" regular rabbit's. Location is Boucherville, just South of Montreal.

Some channels are ultra-clear with the Recoton (10, 12, 17 and 35), but both French and English CBC (2 and 6) are unwatchable. The 14" tv is useless, but sits in an IKEA bookshelf mostly made out of steel :rolleyes:

My plan is (was ?) to install an outdoor antenna in the attic (tall roof with 12/12 slope, no windows but a few plastic roof vents at the rear), wire it to the coax wire that goes from our bedroom to the basement, then through a pre-amp or "hub" route the signal back up to the other outlets. A/C easy to add to the antenna, if needed.

For those who know the area, I have a clear view of Place Ville-Marie from the 2nd floor windows (meaning straight view to dowtown and the CBC broadcast towers).

Questions :

Will an antenna in the attic work better than the Recoton "cheapie" ? I'm tired of playing with that eye-poker !!

HD signal possible with a separate tuner, or useless with the "old" Toshiba (mainly, if broadcasters dump analog, will I be able to get get a picture OTA ?)

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
5 Posts
My main goal is getting proper analog signal on SRC (2) and CBC (6), because although the Recoton antenna does fine with TVA (10), CFCF (12), TQC (17) and TQS (35), both CBCs are unwatchable :(

HD needs will come within 5 years once I finish the basement and build a HT around my new Denon 6.1 receiver.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Blueprint,

My main concern with an attic install in your case is the aluminium siding. If any of it is between your antenna and the transmission tower, it could cause you problems. I suspect that in the case of your 27" TV the signal is traveling through the window. Also Toshibas often had very good tuners so that could be helping you as well.

My advice is to try an experiment and put your Recoton antenna in the attic and get a piece of RG6 cable to connect it to your TV (if you need a long cable you might want to use an amplifier or move one of your TVs closer to it). If you get similar results as you currently have (or even slightly worse), then things are looking up for you.

As far as getting a digital tuner, I would wait a bit as there aren't any good digital tuner boxes for SD TVs yet (the current boxes are designed for HD ready sets).

·
Registered
5 Posts

Exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. I could try the Recoton with the lighter 14" set before $pending (I can take it in the attic, no cable to buy ;) ). No siding involved : the roof is "manor style", with 4 sides, and at least 20' higher than the top of the siding at the peak. I would put the antenna as high as possible, facing the CBC building.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, I kind of knew for the towers, but Mount Royal is in the same axis as their building. Even easier to aim !

The 14" set has an even cheaper set of RCA rabbit's ears, unpowered but adjustable, that I will use for the attic test. The Recoton is wired to the VCR, so it involves mucho time in "de-building" the home entertainment setup (I managed to wire CD, DVD and VCR through the expensive piece of furniture's lone 2" hole...).

I will just need an extension cord for the tv, but I'll wait till the mercury rises a bit again !

From the link you provided, I understand I should set the antennas at full horizontal and fully deployed ?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
One more thing. To do a valid comparison, check out the 14" TV with the RCA rabbit ears in the same room as your 27" TV. That way you know what to expect from that combination.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Boucherville

very interesting thread , i'v just mist the HD superboal because of my poor antenna :( trying to learn here...very good place

I'm in harmony area at bouch. and needed to go rooftop
for good sd signal with an B2000 antenna, and every things is clear,no
complain yet about the look (bearly visible from the street...)

i have 2 ATSC tuner to use
--viewsonic N3752 LCD tv (excellent choice , 1000$ at costco)
--pinnacle hd pro stick USB2 with a multimedia PC as PVR
(i'm able to record amazing full def. mpeg2 files with these HD content with
this USB stick ! 8.2 gig 1 hour stream 1920X1080)

i have outdoor antenna B2000, wich is really bad for UHF directional signal,
since i only catch SRC and CBC DT easy:

RF13 - ABC - WVNY - - no signal
RF14 - NBC - WPTZ - 5.1 - 50% sometime no image
RF19 - SRC - CBFT- 502,250MHz - 2.1 - 85-95%
RF20 - CBC - CBMT -508,250MHz - 6.1 - 85-95%
RF32 - PBS - WETK - 33.1 - 50% with more alu material added to ant.
RF38 - PBS - WCFE - 57.1 - no signal
RF43 - FOX - WFFF - 44.1 - no signal
RF53 - CBS - WCAX - 3.1 - no signal

thanks to icemaster for your result and clear info

i'm really intersted to catch Mt.Mansfield signal,wich is
90 miles (140km) from Boucherville. Mt-St-Bruno is
almost on my path ! compare to other people here in the forum,
but i think i can catch this signal.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=stow&sll=44.532738,-72.824936&sspn=0.430738,1.387024&ie=UTF8&z=8&ll=45.011419,-72.537231&spn=1.708731,5.548096&t=h&om=1

anybody know a montreal store who has the channelmaster 4228
in stock ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Can Magog get all five Mansfield stations?

I know someone near Magog who just went HD but Cogeco strangely doesn't have any of the U.S. nets!

I know WVNY and WPTZ might be problematic in that region because of their pattern, but has anyone there received them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
OTA HDTV in Sutton Quebec?

Hello all!!

I just purchased my fist HDTV, the Hitachi 42HDS69 Plasma. I am currently a BEV subscriber, but would like to experiment with OTA, mainly to be able to watch HD on the US networks. I have read the knowledge base but am somewhat puzzled about certain issues. I am assuming the given my location, I should be looking at either deep or deepest fringe antennas. On the other hand i read that one should be careful using these antennas as they could damage equipment. Should I be worried about this?

I live approx 120 km ESE of Montreal....just north of Richford VT. I have been looking at the CM 4228, but am not sure it's the right antenna for me. I live at about 270m and have a relatively unobstructed view from surrounding mountains from S to NW. I do have a few trees about 30ft from my intended instalation location. I haven't seen any feedback on setups in my neck of the woods, so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Itch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pre-amped CM-4228 in Fringe?

I'd like to get the Mt Mansfield broadcasts (fringe to me at 63km) as well as WCFE PBS Plattsburgh (likely deep fringe to me at 110km). My question is:
If I get a 4228 pre-amped, will my tuner be safe picking up the closer Mt Mansfield broadcasts?
Can the pre-amp be turned off in that case?

I also noticed WVNY-DT is on channel 13....can I get this with a UHF antenna?

Thanks,
Itch

41 - 60 of 749 Posts