Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu

I've been using a Divco Fusion 5 gold RT since may 2006. I just discovered this forum, It seems to be great!

I leave in saint-jean-sur-richelieu, 25km south of montreal. I use a 30 foot antenna tower with a 20 foot 58 element VHF/UHF antenna. (the tower is used for my look microwave internet connection antenna too).

I receive CBFT-DT, CBMT-DT and WCFE-DT at 100% signal and more than 26db as everyone receive. But from time to time I receive a digital station from UHF23, but the signal came at 30% only and the divco need 64% or more to lock a channel. I searched on google but with no luck. Some one a a clue of witch channel it could be? My antenna is pointed to south (but my rotor is broken and must be changed)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Need OTA info for McMasterville, Beloeil, St-Hilaire QC

Hi!

Is there anybody here near McMasterville, Beloeil, St-Hilaire?

What kind of reception (in Digital preferably) can I expect in that region?

I have a 30 feet (I think) tower but the antennas on it are either non-working or damaged/not powerful enough (apparently lightning and an ice storm wasn't to kind to them) so I have to get them replaced (can't do it myself unfortunatly as I'm afraid of heights...).

The antenna that still work is not on the rotor and appears to be VHF/FM only as I can't seem to get much signal in that range.

Thank you!

Nick

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
For the St-Hilaire question, it all depends on what side of the mountain you're on. For the U.S. nets, if you currently get 22 and 33 in analog, you'll be fine for all the digital nets.

As for the availability of the U.S. networks in Montreal, construction is still taking place. Although the towers were supposed to be up on August 8th, someone reported on AVS that they have been delayed until the 21st. After that, antenna, transmitter, and wiring are to be done, bringing stations to estimate a tentative on-air date in the October to November time-frame.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Hi!
foxfan said:
For the St-Hilaire question, it all depends on what side of the mountain you're on.
I'm in Beloeil...
For the U.S. nets, if you currently get 22 and 33 in analog, you'll be fine for all the digital nets.
When everything was still functionning ok, I could watch the 22 (WVNY) and 33 (WETK?) using a big UHF/VHF/FM antenna (& booster) that was on a rotor/rotator on my tower. I think, but I'm not sure, that the 22 came in clearer than the 33 though but it was watchable...

Unfortunatly, that antenna no longer works and the one that's left is only VHF/FM I think and not on the rotor/rotator...

[I'll probably post a message in the installer thread to know if anybody know of any installer in my region...]

As for the availability of the U.S. networks in Montreal, construction is still taking place. Although the towers were supposed to be up on August 8th, someone reported on AVS that they have been delayed until the 21st. After that, antenna, transmitter, and wiring are to be done, bringing stations to estimate a tentative on-air date in the October to November time-frame.
After that date will we still need a VHF antenna or could I install only a UHF one?

Thank you very much for your help!

Nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
st-jean sur richelieu

I just moved in st-jean sur richelieu. Does anybody know a good installer for an antenna tower and an antenna ?
I thought cbc and src won't be catchable from st-jean but it seems people from st-jean are still getting it, so I want in. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know one on bvld iberville I think it's hatin electronique or someting like that. They are specialized in ota recpetion, I know they still existe but don't know if they still install ota gears.

Yes you can watch CBC and SRC in st-jean. I catch them between 80 and 100% of signal all the time. and you can listen to mountain lake pbs on uhf 38.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Hi!

Sorry for the very delayed reply... :(

Unfortunately, WVNY-DT (ABC) will be staying on channel 13 (VHF), meaning that it will probably be difficult to receive with just a UHF antenna.

I bought a UHF-only antenna and a single cut-to-channel 13 VHF antenna to be certain.
The fact that the 13 is also used for a SRC "affiliate" probably won't help either...

Are you using a rotor/rotator or are you able to get most of the channels that one can get around here without using one?

Thank you!

Nick

·
Registered
34 Posts
I only receive (decode) vpt-dt1 who is standard definition TV and vpt-HD

other channel apear in my guide but my decoder don't output anyting (I use a Dvico Fusion5 gold pci receiver) maybe that juste for the test period.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Delson, South Shore of Montreal

Hi everyone!

Location: Delson, South Shore of Montreal (if GoogleMaps is accurate: 45.374835 , -73.552855)

Antenna Web:
Code:
DTV    Antenna    Type    Call Sign    Channel    Network    City    State    Date    Compass    Miles    Frequency
*    lt green - uhf    WCFE-DT    57.1    PBS    PLATTSBURGH    NY        214°    49.6    38
*    blue - uhf    WFFF-DT    43    FOX    BURLINGTON    VT    TBD    163°    68.8    43
*    blue - uhf    WCAX-DT    7.3    CBS    BURLINGTON    VT    TBD    163°    68.8    53
*    violet - uhf    WETK-DT    33.1    PBS    BURLINGTON    VT    TBD    163°    68.8    32
I have been an indoor antenna (RadioShack 150-1880) for quite a while with good success pointing north for the SRC/CBC channel. As a test, I moved it near a window pointing south toward Mt. Mansfield with great results:

19 - SRC - ~25-28DB - 93-100% (avg. 97)
20 - CBC - ~25-28DB - 93-100% (avg. 97)
32 - VPT - ~20-24DB - 80-90% (avg. 87)
38 - PBS - ~25-27DB ~ 93-99% (avg. 96)

However, to get those results, I had to position the antenna exactly in the middle of the window and behind it as you can see in this picture:

This leads me to these questions.

#1) Whenever the antenna was moved on the sides (ie, on front of only glass, not the bar) or even outside the house on the other side of the window maintaining *any* angle, the Mt. Mansfield (Ch32) channels would drop alot to ~8db and the Mt Lyons (Ch38) would drop slightly to 20-21DB while the other signals remained the same. Is the window acting as some sort of focus point? There is no metal in the window materials (its all plastic) and I can move the antenna up/down along the plastic in the middle and it maintains the signal (1-4db variations at most). Its just.. odd (for me)! :)

#2) I will either be erecting a tower next summer (need to wait for the leaves to get back on the trees!) or put it in the attic pointing toward Mt. Mansfield. I am wondering, do the 4221/4228 have enough back rejection to avoid overdriving my tuners being pointed almost the opposite away from the SRC/CBC broadcast tower (especially when it'll go full power on Mt. Royal)? If not, I am a noobie in the attenuator market. Attenuators, how does it work? 1 per channel (frequency range)? User configurable or you buy it on a per channel basis? Anywhere in the greater Montreal region?

Stephane

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You're able to get WPTZ-DT's channel 14 signal in Sherbrooke, Kaphyr? I was worried it wouldn't make it there because of their directional antenna pattern that reduced the signal in that direction...

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about quebec city area

Went thrue all the 20 pages to try to find some kind of info about the quebec city region.

Does anyone knows what HD channel is available from quebec city. If i am not in the right thread please point me the way.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
You are in the right thread sebrous, and I asked a few days ago about OTA HD in ville de Quebec but I don't think it is available. The Burlington Vermont stations are too far away to get and there are no stations in Maine that can reach that far.

You could ask Marc in the Official CBC-HD thread if he knows when the Quebec City SRC station will be up, because he works for CBC:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42447

·
Registered
10 Posts
Montreal South Shore (Brossard)

Montreal South Shore (Brossard).

Using the Radioshack 1501880 UHF/VHF amplified indoor antenna beside a basement window (right in the middle of the window, exactly like TheIceMaster). Oh, the antenna is pointing pretty much due south.

2, 19 - CBFT-DT (SRC) - 85%
3, 53 - WCAX-DT (CBS) - 85% (!)
6, 20 - CBMT-DT (CBC) - 90%
38, 57 - WCFE-DT (PBS) - 70%

By the way, you guys have been a great resource, thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2, 19 - CBFT-DT (SRC) - 85%
3, 53 - WCAX-DT (CBS) - 85% (!)
6, 20 - CBMT-DT (CBC) - 90%
38, 57 - WCFE-DT (PBS) - 70%
the info.
I don't want to contradict Stampeder but Obberius has an even better way to list channels! I haven't found a comprehensive list anywhere yet so why don't we make one here that everyone can refer to.

I find it's pretty handy to have both the physical channel to tune in and the digital channel number.

here we go:
Code:
Call    Station  Physical  Digital Sub
sign    Name     channel   channel channels  Reception
CBFT    SRC      19        2       1         88%
WCAX    CBS      53        3       1         80%
WETK    PBS      32        33      1         66%
WFFF    FOX      43        5       1         88% can't lock in!
CBMT    CBC      20        6       1         88%
WCFE    PBS      38        57      1          4% was in the 60's moments ago
Still can't believe I'm getting such good reception with the ATI indoor antenna 50' above ground. Id ATI can't provide decent software you got to give it to them for the hardware.

If anyone can give me the sub channels the software I'm using now can't detect them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Since not all may read the Burlington thread on another forum:

Reception Status as of November 2, 2006
Location: Delson, South Shore of Montreal (45.374835 , -73.552855).
Tuner: FusionHDTV5 PCI (LG 5th Gen)

RadioShack #150-1880 - INDOOR
=============================
RF13 - ABC - WVNY - ???? - NO SIGNAL
RF14 - NBC - WPTZ - ???? - NO SIGNAL
RF19 - SRC - CBFT - 2.1 - 99-100% (27-29DB)
RF20 - CBC - CBMT - 6.1 - 97-100% (25-28DB)
RF32 - PBS - WETK - 33.1 - 85-90% (20-24DB)
RF38 - PBS - WCFE - 57.1 - 93-97% (25-27DB)
RF43 - FOX - WFFF - 44.1 - 23-25% (6-8DB)
RF53 - CBS - WCAX - 3.1 - 75-83% (19-21DB)

A-Neutronics AV-891 - INDOOR
===========================
RF13 - ABC - WVNY - ???? - NO SIGNAL
RF19 - SRC - CBFT - 2.1 - 99-100% (29-31DB)
RF20 - CBC - CBMT - 6.1 - 97-100% (26-28DB)
RF32 - PBS - WETK - 33.1 - 97-100% (27-29DB)
RF38 - PBS - WCFE - 57.1 - 97-100% (26-27DB)
RF43 - FOX - WFFF - 44.1 - 27-31% (9-11DB)
RF53 - CBS - WCAX - 3.1 - 75-83% (19-21DB)

A-Neutronics AV-891 - OUTDOOR (~15' from the ground)
================= ==================================
RF13 - ABC - WVNY - ???? - 22-24% (6.3-6.4DB)
RF19 - SRC - CBFT - 2.1 - 95-100% (27-29DB)
RF20 - CBC - CBMT - 6.1 - 95-100% (27-29DB)
RF32 - PBS - WETK - 33.1 - 95-99% (25-27DB)
RF38 - PBS - WCFE - 57.1 - 93-97% (24-26DB)
RF43 - FOX - WFFF - 44.1 - 65-69% (18-19DB)
RF53 - CBS - WCAX - 3.1 - 95-100 (26-28DB)

Adding an amp (Motorola Booster 15DB) behind the A-Neutronics's pre-amp boosts WFFF to the ~22DB range (85%+) and slightly improves WVNY by 2-3DB to ~9DB, way below what is required for a lock.

I hope ABC will solve the reception problem for the Montreal area as I can get a crystal clear reception of 22 Analog but I am VERY far from a lock on the DTV.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yesterday, i took a drive down to the border(Lacolle) with my computer and my tuner. I was able to lock WVNY only at exit 3. Granted it was just the cheap antenna that came with it, but still i was able to get channel 3 easily in La Prairie.

They abosultly need to do something about this.:mad:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hum.. you could lock in LaPrairie.. may I ask where you were for the lock? I'm a little south and west of LaPrairie and cannot get a lock although I have never really been able to test my antennas in the VHF range...

PS: I'd like a picture too :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Salaberry exit of the 15 South bound

Hum.. you could lock in LaPrairie.. may I ask
where you were for the lock? I'm a little south and west of LaPrairie and cannot get a lock although I have never really been able to test my antennas in the VHF range...

PS: I'd like a picture too :)

21 - 40 of 749 Posts