Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since there are no plans for DT station in the Montreal area operating in the VHF range I would seriously consider a specific cut CH 13 antenna.

Stampeder do you know if this is available from most providers such as Wade?

If I want to install one on the same mast as my CM4228, how far must they be from each other?

·
Registered
65 Posts
do you know if this is available from most providers such as Wade?
Just checked today - Ch 13 5 element is $86 for a Wade 5Y13S... nice and short, too. That was from Montcalm in Laval.... proabaly similar pricng at other Wade dealers. Now the question is: how well will a 5 element work on ch 13 from Mt. Mansfied...
We need a guinea pig to try it out.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I bought a 10-element channel 13 antenna for Raybel but still can't get a reliable signal from WVNY with it in Longueuil (near the tunnel).

The one I have was actually a higher-end copper one that they sold me about two years ago for the same price as the aluminium one you guys mentioned (about $80).

Keep in mind though that CFTM (TVA) does intend to use channel 10 for digital service.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Tried to move the antenna around in approximately 5 deg increments but I was never able to get all US channels along with CBC/SRC. I tried to join the CM4228 with the Silver Sensor but that just opened the door for weird stuff!
Do you have two entry for antenna/cable on your TV? I would try the Silver Sensor indoor plug in the second entry. Never tried it with DT would it work? In analog UHF channel are not map at there normal position but it work.

·
Registered
390 Posts
WVNY

All: Are you able to tune any of these analog VHF
3 (CBS)
5 (NBC)
9 (SRC)

Now try to tune them with your VCR.

Is the VCR able to tune any of them?

What are your result with WVNY (ABC-dt)?

·
Registered
390 Posts
All: Are you able to tune any of these analog VHF
3 (CBS)
5 (NBC)
9 (SRC)
With my new Lg Fifth generation HD tv.
3 (CBS): No
5 (NBC): Yes
9 (SRC): Yes

With my old analog tv.
5 (NBC): No
9 (SRC): No

Now try to tune them with your VCR.
5 (NBC): Yes
9 (SRC): Yes

What are your result with WVNY (ABC-dt)?
Very stable at ~70%

Could it be tuner related?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ok Kro I still can't find the Delhi zip-8 on the site, so if i understand you right it's that antenna(delhi) that gives you the ABC channel?
Yes. But before doing anything see post 103 i'm really curious of your answer. The idea is to eliminate the tuner fro the equation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes. But before doing anything see post 103 i'm really curious of your answer. The idea is to eliminate the tuner fro the equation.
Ok, yes i can tune all of them without vcr but it's not a very good signal and with my vcr well it not a vcr but a toshiba pvr HDD dvd and it can also tune them but with a few dropouts.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I thought you said you were getting WVNY stable?

If you're just getting 20% or 30%, you should maybe clarify it on the AVS site so that WVNY won't claim they are actually reaching Montreal when it isn't the case.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I thought you said you were getting WVNY stable?

If you're just getting 20% or 30%, you should maybe...
The % signal seem to reported differently by tuners...I guess they do not all use the same algorithm. I will try to get some informations on that.

so that WVNY won't claim they are actually reaching Montreal when it isn't the case
We will need more result to confirm but I would say they reach west of montreal and not as easy to get as the other.

·
Registered
65 Posts
CM4228 AND WVNY

Just changed my 4 bay bowtie for a CM4228... now I get WVNY (a bit choppy at times) but all other stations now are locked reliably.... I have tried WVNY with a preamp and the CM4228 and it is still a bit hit and miss.
So I have a 4 bay for someone who needs 1 in this area... make me a trade. But I heartily recommend the CM4228. The only thing I would like to see on these antennae are baluns with metal "legs" on the 300 ohm side to keep the leads properly spaced and prevent stresss on the wires themselbves... they made them years ago, but now seem to have vanished.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I think anyone on the South Shore and further south would be just fine with your old 4-bay antenna, montrealmountain, but its nice to see the CM4228 proven the best once again. :) What kind of preamp are you using?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I located an AP-8700 on Ebay....
works OK.... nothing spectacular.... I just wish it had a few more db of gain to keep WVNY for "stuttering" on me.
But frankly I was amazed that the CM4228 actually did the job on VHF... just goes to show that the graphs I saw here seemed to be correct.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Yes, the CM4228 is great for VHF High! :) You might want to try a Winegard AP-8275 preamp because its very powerful and it handles VHF/UHF so your Channel 13 reception would improve.

101 - 120 of 1051 Posts