Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1051 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OTA_DIY,

The difference of half an inch for the whisker lengths is slight depending on their diameter.

That type of antenna is for the UHF broadcast band and 9½ inches is the best compromise for channels 14 to 51, but still performs well on VHF.

I was told at the corner of Rosemont blvd and 9th avenue was the highest spot on the Montreal Island after Mount-Royal !

ß

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello again. I was successful in watching the SB on my living room hdtv. I had to changed the wire from one end of the house to the living room but it worked. I've since made the change permanent in the attic.

So I have the 4228 on the roof. The wire coming in the house through the attic. I can get there directly from the roof. Inside the attic I now have a CM-3414. Again, no pre-amp on the mast.

The main wire from the antenna goes to that then two wires come in the bedroom directly below. One for the tv and the other for the power. 1 wire goes to a small tv in the kitchen. 1 more goes to the main tv in the living room. All hdtv so no converter box needed. The final wire goes to a tv in the far bedroom adjacent to the living room which is on the other side of the house from the antenna. That wire is split to a tv there and 1 in the basement both needing a converter box.

Now today, I discover that after a new rca 20 inch tv for the first bedroom, I am pulling in WCAX. I am stunned. The kitchen tv was pulling it in and after I typed this post, it isn't. However, the other tv's are not. I also noticed on the new rca tv that CITY-TV is not coming through either but it is on all the others. Is this normal? WCAX is my main concern at this point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bouval, I tried doing that but then I don't bring in much at all.

Why would I get WCAX on one tv but not the others? The other channels seem to be on all of them but not this one. And yet on the tv that does get wcax it doesn't get city-tv. Maybe I have to change the wires again. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OTA reception Duvernay Laval

Tetris28,

I've been near you place before, my customer had a CM4228HD antenna attached to his chimney and the only american station he was getting once in a while was WPTZ from Burlinton Vt.

Your problem is having Mount-Royal in the path between you and Vermont. Your TV Fool report is H E R E

With a good antenna you'd be receiving the 10 Montreal stations and PBS from Plattsburgh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new around here. I was recently looking at ditching my crazy expensive Bell Fibe TV service and go with free OTA HDTV.

I live in the Fabreville area (near golf UFO) and was thinking of going with what seems to be a good indoor HDTV antenna: Winegard FL5500A FlatWave Amplified Razor Thin HDTV Indoor Antenna

Here's my TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f0f547fb7f07

Would I be ok with one of those indoor antennas or would mounting an unsightly rooftop antenna make a world of difference?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Reception-multi-path or inteference

I currently live in Montreal with a DVR +, CM 4228HD & HDP 269 optimized for US channels. My current issue, getting worst by the week with the DVR+ is that I am loosing most local stations or stability of the signals ? The strange thing is that the signal strengths reads sometime at 95% with 0% quality. The US channels on the other hand are rock solid.

I have tried an FM trap, removed the HDP 269, a single diy antenna (works sometime), combining both antennas with no result. The issue appears worst during the day and rainy windy conditions ?

Is this interference, multi-path, etc.. Pls help

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OTA Reception Fabreville Laval

Stew_Katz,

If you want to get some american stations, you've got to go with an outdoor antenna.

And an antenna doesn't have to be mounted on a roof's peak, like the one I installed last summer in Fabreville at JeePee's place.

Yes, outdoor makes a world of a difference ;)

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
james57, That it's a gradual deterioration and worse in wet weather makes me suspect a bad connection at one of the RG6 terminations. These symptoms could be caused by water getting into the cable. If so, a compression connector could have a bad installation or be loose. I'd also be looking at possible overload on local stations being caused by the preamp. Maybe an FM trap or channel trap is needed. To test this, simply take the HDP-269 out of the system temporarily.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi ExDilbert, thanks for the input. The issue is getting worst with the spring (leave coverage is growing) not just wind and rain and tropo could be the issue all the time. I have tried a diy antenna in my living room straight without the amp, which rules out the install on the roof, HDP power and not, FM trap on the diy and the roof antenna, fm powered and not, but since I am seeing the signal strength very high 95% and 0% quality I am thinking of some kind of interference overload ?? any other option..

·
Registered
4 Posts
GH10N3 - St-Donat-de Montcalm

Hi

1st post and not sure if this is the right forum.

Just built a modified GH10N3 to put up at the cottage.

Original design: nikiml's Antenna pages - GH10n3 UHF/VHF-hi combo antenna

Material used

* flat aluminum 0.5"x0.125" bars for the reflector and rear narods
(inspiration: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/186-antenna-research-development/140966-simple-outdoor-reflector-grids-various-element-designs.html)
* Active antenna - Top/bottom "hats" are aluminum 0.25" rods.
* Aluminum 1" square tube
Purchased at Metal Supermarkets - Ottawa (Metal Supermarkets Ottawa - The convenience stores for metal)

* Channel Master High Performance balun

Picture of final product:

Set-up
* Channel Master 7777 preamp is used
* Orientation based on "old antenna" best reception orientation (towards Montreal).
* Temporary set-up until I put it on the rotor on top of the mast (see picture)

TV Fool Radar plot: Antenna is about 30' in the air
TV Fool

Channels Reception:
* 2.1 - Radio Canada CBFT - Montreal
* 3.1 - CBS Vermont WCAX - Burlington VT
* 3.2 - Movie TV Network
* 5.1 - NBC WPTZ - Burlington VT
* 5.2 - CW Channel
* 5.3 - Me TV
* 6.1 - CBC CBMT - Montreal
* 7.1 - TVA CHLT - Sherbrooke
* 10.1 - TVA CFTM - Montreal
* 17.1 - Télé Québec CIVM - Montreal
* 33.1 - PBS Vermont- Burlington VT
* 33.2 - PBS +
* 33.3 - Create TV
* 33.4 - World Compass
* 47.1 - ICI TV International - Montreal

In all, quite pleased with the results.

Hopefully, I was able toprovide enough information..
Let me know

·
Registered
931 Posts
Harleyvh: Wow, those are some pretty amazing results considering how hopeless your TVFool report looks. Can you repost using the correct height? What were you getting with the old antenna?

Are those channels consistently available or were you having a good tropospheric day?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smallmj

Here is the updated TVFool plot at 30'
TV Fool

From the old antenna (that is still on top of the mast with rotor), I used to get 2-10 and 17 (with the CM7777) on a good day.
Tested the new one in the living room before mounting it on top of the chimney and I was able to get 17 (without the CM7777).
This is an old analog TV with an external converter box.

After only one weekend
Channels 2-3-5-6-10 and 17 are pretty consistent (was surprised about 3 & 5).
Channel 33 seems a little finicky
Don't really care about 47 or 7 (same thing as 10)
Reception seems to be better during daytime than at night.
There are trees (old birch trees) in front of the antenna (in its direct path), so reception should be better in winter

Orientation will be fine-tuned as soon as I can get a friend or two up there with me to bring down the mast and put the GH10n3 with the rotor.
In the meantime, it's a cottage...

981 - 1000 of 1051 Posts