Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1051 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I plugged in my OTA antenna last night to test out my reception. I was able to pull in CBS HD WCAX at 76% with the antenna simply laying on my patio table. I assume when I actually mount it and point it that should be better.

Also i noticed a tad nicer colors on the WCAX broadcast of CSI last night compared to my CTV simsub over the Boston CBS on ExpressVu.

BTW the Superbowl in on CBS this year, so now atleast the SuperBowl sans SimSub is a guarantee!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Something funny when i check for WFFF-DT Fox 44 Burlington on Titan tv it list some programs in hd, but when i tune in they are only in SD and not even 16:9. Did you guy's have the same thing ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Kro or WatchmaN, are you getting wfff(43)? I get wcax(53) and wetk(32) at 77% but no fox. Are you moving your antenna to get it? Mine is fixed.
I am just south of you in Pointe-Claire.
well I placed(south-east) it so i don't have to stand-up all the time and move the rotor cause I use my antenna for analog and digital. If i let it like that i get fox at 50%(5 bars) but if i move my antenna(south) I can raise it to 70% so i imagine that when they will have the other antenna(more powerfull) i will get 100% like all my channels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
St-Sauveur OTA HD Availibility?

I live in the Village of St-Sauveur (40 miles north west of Montreal), in what could be best described as a small valley with ski mountains half a mile to the south.

No OTA HD for me right ?

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You don't need to get the most powerful ones, but look for gain figures in the 12dB to 18dB range. Those 55% numbers you are seeing will go way up.
I am looking for a pre-amp as well. I get CBS(WCAX) at 70% with my active color antenna/amplifier. I was thinking maybe a good quality pre-amp with my antenna might give me better results. Why do you recommend 12-18dB range? And can I assume that the higher the dB the more powerfull the pre-amp?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
RedSoxFred, your location seems to be in a straight line with St-Eustache and Burlington, VT, so if you were at a higher elevation with deepest fringe gear you would get the U.S. digitals. Unfortunately since you say you are in a valley I would bet that you are out of luck.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
poncho, since your antenna already has an amplifier there is no way you can use a preamp. When you amplify an already-amplified signal you are also amplifying noise, which will cause serious reception problems and maybe even fry your OTA gear.

What I would suggest is a high quality antenna like a CM4228 with a Winegard AP-series or CM 777x series preamp. craigstar found some good older preamps at Raybel.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My intention was to remove the current amplifier and replace witha something like the CM777x series. Do you think my current antenna with that would work?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Do you think my current antenna with that would work?
I looked through your old posts and now I remember your antenna - is it still the same one? I doubt whether you would get better results from it with a different amplifier since the one already in it is very strong. My advice is to go with a well known antenna like the CM4228 with a good preamp and you will be certain to get excellent results.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
OK thanks. I do plan on getting a proper antenna setup mounted on my roof. It's only that my roof is quite high and I won't actually climb up there. In the meantime I do get WCAX, PBS and an empty signal on WPTZ (75% but no lock) so I will wait until next summer when all the channels are up and running and then invest in the equipment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
PBS

Hi there,

I was able to catch on my Silver Sensor from Laval, the new PBS from Mount Mansfield... But i keep scanning for CBS and Fox and i can't get it... Btw, i don't get too much power from the PBS station, but how come i can't even find anything for CBS or Fox??

Thanks,
Roberto

·
Registered
133 Posts
For people who were getting a good signal on CBS and FOX, how is your reception tonight? Mine is really crappy the signal keep on dropping even on CBS i was getting 100% and now I have a hard time getting 40%.:confused:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I haven't seen the weather reports from Montreal and Vermont but when all stations show the same drop that's probably the issue. If so, send those stations a nice email letting them know what happened to your signal strength. It is very early in the game for them so they need all the info they can get. I have always found that TV station technical staff respond very well to nice and informative info.

·
Registered
117 Posts
over at avs they were saying Fox in particular was messing around with their power to the antennas since they were only on a 'temporary antenna'. Last night they were cutting over to the permanent one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Laval... off the 15.... Souvenir and Corbusier

I have a Silver sensor indoors, facing west.... I live in a condo on the third floor.... I am able to receive the following channels well enought to watch them... I don't know the percentages (i just have bars on my Samsung LCD, the most i've seen on any Channel is 6-7 bars) For me to watch a channel, all i need is 3 bars.. 2 bars may be choppy

CBC-HD - Around 3 bars
PBS - 57 - Around 6-7 bars
PBS - 33 - Around 3 Bars
SRC HD - 2-3 Bars.

I can't seem to get a lock on any other channels, I don't know why, if I can get PBS 33, then why not the others??

·
Registered
133 Posts
St-Eustache

Ok my turn I have an Outdoor vhf/uhf antenna mounted on 40 foot tower in ST-Eustache.

2.1 (SRC) 10 bars
3.1 (CBS) 7-10 bars
6.1 (CBC) 10 bars
13 (ABC) 2 bars no image tough
14 (NBC) 7 bars in testing
18 (PBS) sometimes I get something
33 (PBS) 6 bars
44 (fox) 7 bars
57 (PBS) 7 bars

I did't put the sub channels.

41 - 60 of 1051 Posts