Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1121 - 1139 of 1139 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has been my experience as well, but on slightly different channels. 2.1, 33.1 and 57.1 have been the most affected by random pixelation / drop-outs. And I have a strong UHF setup, with none of that occuring before. What is your true azimuth to Mt. Mansfield ? Trying to determine if this is a local, point source on our path or if it is distributed.
You seem to be in the Montreal area, 2.1 shall be your strongest signal. I observed similar behavior this sunday night with 10.1 (physical at 11) the tivo diagnostic report a signal strenght of 85% and SnR of 33db NO RS error and we clearly see some pixalisation. This maybe a tuner overload?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I give a example:
Last Sat. Oct 17, it's very nice day, sunny, no cloudy, no windy and quiet. I found the signal of WVNY is very weak (almost 0) at day time (I missed some football matches) and 33.1.
I look like they shut down the station (do somethong in their antenna?)!
the signals recovered in the evening. I doubt they put lower power to forbid Canadian watch the sports? or they always play something and never finish?
I knew the signal WVNY become a bit weak at 1pm, but it's still watchable. I can get it solid almost all day.
Its seems the signal is only strong when it is raining, when it is sunny and nice out it is weak now ...LoL

·
Registered
32 Posts
This has been my experience as well, but on slightly different channels. 2.1, 33.1 and 57.1 have been the most affected by random pixelation / drop-outs. And I have a strong UHF setup, with none of that occuring before. What is your true azimuth to Mt. Mansfield ? Trying to determine if this is a local, point source on our path or if it is distributed.
I have the same setup since early 2009 and it was great even after the August repack and the new permanant antenna on Mount-Mansfield. PBS 33.1 has always been strong, but for the past month a half I am getting nothing. I tried a little experiment with 35.1 a local station should be a very strong signal, but I am not getting a stable signal most of the day when my drop amp is powered on. I turned off the power of my drop amp and I got a stable 35.1 tells me the signal is very weak and any little noise from the drop amp would block it out. My antenna is pointing 163deg Magnetic North (10deg deviation from True North) straight at Mount-Mansfield.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You seem to be in the Montreal area, 2.1 shall be your strongest signal. I observed similar behavior this sunday night with 10.1 (physical at 11) the tivo diagnostic report a signal strenght of 85% and SnR of 33db NO RS error and we clearly see some pixalisation. This maybe a tuner overload?
Yes 2.1 is the strongest signal a full 5 bars on my TV's signal strength, but CBC 6.1 is a different story even though if you contact CBC the tech will say its on the same tower as 2.1. I just checked 15.1 Global and right now there is no signal ...LoL

If you have a Roku TV you can actually see the actual signal quality and strength on your PC connected to the same network as your TV:

http://192.168.X.XXX:XXX/query/tv-active-channel (XXXX is the network address that you can find in your Roku TV's system settings when it is connected to the internet on your network)
<signal-quality>XX</signal-quality>
<signal-strength>-XX</signal-strength>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I installed an antenna on the roof of my bungalow 3 years ago mainly to get METV at
5.3, but for about a year METV and all the other US stations are gone. I know there was an antenna fire on Mt. Mansfield, and a new antenna was installed there, so is this why I have lost all the US stations, or could the fault be on my side, bad coax, etc. ? Has anybody else lost OTA from the US in the Montreal area ? Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
All US stations are back. Some have changed channels though and WVNY is extremely difficult to receive. However, METV is still on 5.3 (RF 14). You should do a rescan on your TV.

PBS was never out so I think that there is something wrong with your setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Yagi, Thanks for the reply. So it seems I should be getting all the US stations again. I will check my set up, such as connecting the roof antenna directly to another TV, etc.
I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
just adjust my antenna, try to find best reception direction that is bit shift to Mt.mansfield.
I believe it's just luck I get WVNY.
I wonder the WVNY became weaker because of the cold weather or they decreased the power output?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have my eyes peeled on the KT700, with that separate UHF / VHF input. If I can shave off close to 2dB of noise from the pre-amp on VHF, that's like adding 2 dB of gain to my antenna!
I installed the Kitztech KT700 preamp today, replacing a legacy CM7777. The results are interesting:
  • On 3.1, 5.1, 44.1 -> no significant improvement in signal level. My 91XG is aiming straight at Mt. Mansfield.
  • On 6.1, 33.1, 47.1, 57.1, 62.1 -> eyeballing a 5-10% improvement on the signal meter.
  • On WVNY -> no change at all before vs. after.

So I am very satisfied with the Kitztech as this is good improvement, specially for the channels coming in via the antenna side-lobes.

Am noticing a few things about WVNY:
  • Those reporting WVNY reception are not on-Island;
  • FCC publishes the directional broadcast pattern. Punch out the numbers and you'll get 9.5 kW of ERP to my azimuth in St. Laurent (compare with 10kW from before on RF13, when I was receiving the channel just fine);
  • More antenna gain moves the reception needle at night from roughly 12 AM to 5 AM. But not during the day;
  • My new pre-amp, with 2 dB less in noise figure, changes nothing to signal strength during the day;
  • This time-of-day reception pattern is experienced by another forum member in St-Laurent;
  • The VHF band is more prone to interference than UHF.

What does all of this say about the signal and about the noise, from my location, at day-time ?

·
Registered
384 Posts
STL,

I don't think that noise during the daytime is the issue here.

At the cottage in Ayer's Cliff (near Magog), I get WVNY from late evening to the morning using a Winegard VHF-Hi antenna and a preamp. I usually get nothing during the daytime. I am at a lake and there is nothing around me that could generate interference. The signal is simply too weak and the difference in propagation between day and night is probably the only explanation for our misery.

In Montreal, I have not changed my antenna setup yet. I will replace my channel-13 antenna by a Stellar Labs VHF-Hi. I am also considering replacing my Winegard HDP-269 preamp by either a KT-100VG-COAX or a KT-500-COAX (with adjustable gain to avoid overloads). The KitzTech preamps have a much better noise rating than the Winegard.

Reactions: intravino

·
Registered
649 Posts
FYI Yagi.

I just got a gain of 10% on my meter by installing the Stellar Labs antenna on my tower compared to my Delhi 10y13s for WVNY.

It is not a lot when you think that the Delhi is a channel 13 antenna.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very interesting results.. thank you Intravino.

I've taken a picture of both the 10y13s and the StellarLabs #30-2476, one on top of the other. I notice that the directors are very close in length on both antennas.. and that the Stellar differs with its longer-size folded dipole. This makes me think the Stellar may be tuned for higher gain on the top end of the RF7-13 spectrum.

Two updates to share back today:

1) The KT700 pre-amp seems to match / outperform my CM777 on all my VHF and UHF channels, except for WVNY. For WVNY, it is the opposite: my night-time reception is now worse with the KT700. I find that intriguing.

2) The local source of interference on RF7 is still present during day time, but vanished during this power outage. The region affected by the outage is exactly on my azimuth to the WVNY broadcast towers, and my WVNY reception was strong at high noon. It's the second ever occurence of clear day-time reception of WVNY for me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Pourrait-on obtenir un meilleur gain au canal 7 sur la Stellar Labs simplement en remplaçant le dipôle ? Il faudrait qu'il soit un peut plus large et dimensionné spécifiquement pour le canal 7. Ne faudrait-il pas aussi modifier l'espacement entre les éléments directeurs ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good idea Yagi.

Here's the modeled gain curve for the Stellar Labs (credit to the source) which shows lower gain on RF7(174-180 MHz) than on higher frequencies. I take the y-axis to be dBi rather than dBd, which means the antenna is achieving at most 7.8 dBd gain on RF7.

The Stellar antenna is "modular" in that elements can be swapped out with other ones, as long as they are drilled in the middle to fit the set screw. The elements are a standard 3/8 inches..

I had found plans for the 10y7s on this forum which I used to build my 13y7s. The element length and spacing there could be used to retrofit this on the Stellar Labs boom and folded dipole. Though the Stellar boom is shorter than the 10y7s, fitting only 8 or 9 of its 10-element design.

Looking at the gain curve above, if it's real, retrofitting the Stellar Labs with longer elements looks like it could add 1-1.5 dB of gain on RF7.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've noticed much better WVNY daytime reception for me this week, remaining watcheable throughout the day.

Is this also experienced by others whom, like me, are in that "problem area" which is west of city center ?

This is exciting.. and I just hope it lasts!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've noticed much better WVNY daytime reception for me this week, remaining watcheable throughout the day.

Is this also experienced by others whom, like me, are in that "problem area" which is west of city center ?

This is exciting.. and I just hope it lasts!
This is true. the signal qualify is over 90% all day except some interfere causes the pixel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
During election 2020. WVNY is quite good then go down. Start from yesterday, I noticed its signal quite good, stable!

1121 - 1139 of 1139 Posts