Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1061 - 1070 of 1070 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Laurent, I do and don't get those two stations... I have a Digiwave antenna on the roof (Verdun) hooked up to both my TV and to a Tablo DVR. 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 5-1 and 5-3 are all received on my Tablo. However, I have lost all 3-1 to 3-4 on my TV. I have lost these since they moved from 22 to 20 and I can't tune them anymore, either by rescanning or entering them manually with the remote.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I do and don't get those two stations...
WCAX and WPTZ are sharing a temporary antenna. I quote Tower Guy who is a retired TV engineer from NY:
Tower Guy said:
WCAX/WPTZ are sharing a TFU-16WB antenna. The gain is similar to the burnt out antenna. The power handling is slightly lower. It is directional with less power toward the northeast.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f916e9045a4016eb29fb9d15c8d
This is a signal report for Verdun from rabbitears.info:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=reandsult&study_id=34168

This image is an extract from that report:

The WCAX temporary antenna is very directional and lower on another tower. It is only sending 27 kW ERP in your direction:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also notice a weaker signal for WCAX and WPTZ here in Swanton, VT which is in the same path as Montreal - to - Mt. Mansfield. I get some random pixelation, but otherwise it's still a pretty decent signal.

That being said, it's not nearly as bad as me trying to pull CJNT out of the air down here :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
@rabbit73
Thanks for all the info but I don't think this is a transmitter issue. When WCAX switched from 22 to 20, I lost it on both the two devices linked to my antenna, a TV and a Tablo DVR.

Following the change, I rescanned both the TV and the Tablo and only Tablo picked up the signal. For now, I blame it on my "old" TV and its limited features. Not a big problem actually, since most of the content I watch is recorded with the Tablo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It shouldn't be It shouldn't be a TV 'feature' issue, but WCAX being on RF20 now puts it right in between CBFT RF19 and CBMT RF21 (I might have these reversed). It's quite possible the TV's built-in tuner is not as great at rejecting interference from strong adjacent signals.

Are you receiving WPTZ still? It didn't move from RF14, but it is radiating from the same exact antenna.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
WPTZ and WCAX are both transmitting at reduced power from a directional antenna with a slightly different pattern than what WPTZ was using previously.
Both WCAX and WPTZ are tranmsitting with a directional pattern, unlike before where WCAX was omnidirectional and WPTZ had a deep null towards Sherbrooke.
(And because of the "nose" of the mountain which shielded both signals from a large swath of the Townships)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Confirmed in Sherbrooke, both WCAX and WPTZ were fairly easy to receive before the tower fire with 27 and 21 dB SNR respectively. Now, I sparsely get WCAX with a very low 16 dB SNR and I never have WPTZ. SNR is 13 dB on the latter one and no tropospheric conditions can improve it.

I use a vertically stack of 2 x 4228HD in my attic. I have no idea what I could do to improve further more my antenna gain. I guess it means no Superbowl party for me on next February.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I have no idea what I could do to improve further more my antenna gain.
It doesn't look promising for you. I don't know your exact location, but this is a report from rabbitears.info for Sherbrooke City Hall:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=34963

The Special Temporary Authority expires 06/04/2020, so they will probably wait for warmer weather to do antenna work:
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=46728

Sherbrooke is in a null of the transmitting antenna pattern with less than 2 kW being sent in your direction:

About all you can do is try a different feed method if you have already tried different attic locations and can't go outside.
Temporary page

Another idea would be to build an antenna designed for max gain at channel 20. Most of the antennas currently available have less gain at the low end of UHF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to rabbit73 and everyone else for your replies. I am glad to hear that I am not alone. Although I am happy to report that the signal seems to have improved since my original post 11 days ago. I can even get 3-2, 3-3 and 3-4 if the weather conditions are OK. But it is still not as good as before the antenna fire.

FYI, I am in the West Island of Montreal (Dollard-des-Ormeaux). This is my TVFool report for my location, FWIW:

TV Fool

1061 - 1070 of 1070 Posts