Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 1081 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow... Some pretty strong signals there.
You can probably get all the local channels with a single coat hanger hung on your window :)

Anyhow, in your situation, I would probably start with a CM4221 and aimed to 146º for the US channels. The locals are so close and so strong, that odds are you'll still pull them in without even trying. If the locals have an issue, you won't want a lot of antenna for them. Maybe something as simple as a CM4020 pointed to 22º would be plenty. And combine them both with a simple combiner. Not sure about the combining effects (which is one reason you don't want a LOT of antenna for the locals).

Don't know what shops you have have near your location, but worst case, CM4221, CM4020 and a combiner are all readily available on amazon canada, and include free shipping. And if you try them, and they don't suit your purpose, keep the packaging, and you have at least 30 days, to send them back for a full refund (and return shipping is free also).

Consdering how strong your signals are, you may not even need any pre-amp. in my case, everything that was in green and yellow came in perfectly with my CM4228 even before adding a pre-amp.

db8e would probably work also, but I think probably overkill. I am afraid it would be too much antenna for the locals.. If you do, one side would be direct point to US channels, and then I'd say for the locals, you would be off from direct on to decrease the signal a bit. I'm more afraid with this setup for multi-path reflections and how it would be handled when something would get picked up on both sides, slightly off.. :( Maybe some of the experts with more experience could ring in on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well i tried the ClearStream Indoor Antenna, i get good quality image but i have to lift it up, or change the antenna placement (from 1 window to the other side of the building window) to get different channels.. (i get 6 channels 1 side and 3 on the other )i live in a condo, so that's why i want a rooftop antenna setup so i don't need to play with that every single time, ive installed dishes in the past and i still have the hardware to wire the setup ect,so you think i should go for the 4221hd pointed to the US, and ill pick up the locals ?all the channels mentioned on the tvfool report?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OTA reception La Salle

Goldyflix,

As per your TV Fool a CM4221HD antenna would be fine for the US channels and most of the Montreal ones from the back, not sure for RF13 ABC.

You may not get Télé-Québec as Mount-Royal is between you and their tranmitter on top of the Olympic Stadium tower.

The ClearStream Indoor Antenna is only a TOY !

Et on parle FRANÇAIS ici . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I already get tele quebec with the toy from inside my condo... i just get a bit of interference i think,so you guys recommend 4221hd? Do i need to modify it? Should i get a cm7777 to? If i want to feed 2+ tv's? Yes i do speak francais but i already posted on this thread :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
With such strong signals, I'm not even sure you will need any pre-amp. DEFINITELY not a CM7777. Even a CM7778 may be too much pre-amp (but BOUVAL know better than me - this is just a feeling from the TVfool report).

If you choose to get a CM7778, get it from somewhere with a reasonable return policy (most places will not allow any returns on these items). Amazon.ca does sell the CM7778, so return policy is awesome. Just make sure to get the one that is "sold and shipped" by amazon, not marketplace seller. You'll have at least 30 days, (I think it is 60 on this item), to return it if it does not do what you expected.

If all is well on 1 TV with just a CM4221HD, then to overcome the split attenuation, I'd probably got with one of the CM34xx distribution amps.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Emporium,

You have to consider that by not aiming the antenna at Mt-Royal you kind of attenuate the signals from it. So a pre-amp wont hurt at all.

A cheap but good pre-amp is the RCA TVPRAMP1R, a clone of the old CM7778.

Next spring I'll get the Winegard HDA-200 24 dB. Another good pre-amp is the LNA-200 (Boost XT) that took over the old AP-8700.

So a pre-amp in Goldyflix's case would bring him a reliable reception, above all for Télé-Québec :wink

·
Registered
20 Posts
True... I completely forgot that mt Royal is such a big difference in his case... Difference for me between Mt Mansfield and Mount royal is just over 30º so it is not as bad for me. I kind of ignored the locals and they just came in :)
The RCA can be had for cheap on amazon (just over $40), and free shipping, and good return policy. Actually all the ones you mentioned are readily available on amazon, which is nice.

Next year, I was considering maybe picking up a KT-500 pre-amp. Very powerful, but it is variable, very low noise, and overload resistant. I know it is a little pricey, but I'm still just thinking about it for now... Any comments on this unit ?
Wondering if I'd get dinged at customs for duty/taxes if I order it direct.. Or maybe I'll ship it to my sister in AZ again, and have her bring it up when she comes up in the summer also :) However the mast mount looks huge, so not sure... Either way mast mount is so big, not sure I'd want to use that one, simply for wind resistance, it would be nuts.. :) Probably pick up something from place like addison or even home depot in the electrical section instead.

thnx for all your input..

·
Registered
556 Posts
Next year, I was considering maybe picking up a KT-500 pre-amp. Very powerful, but it is variable, very low noise, and overload resistant. I know it is a little pricey, but I'm still just thinking about it for now... Any comments on this unit ?
If you look at holl_and's spreadsheet on pre-amp data (I don't have the link handy at the moment), you will see that it has poor performance. In particular, it has poor SFDR. If you attenuate the signal, the NF rises above that quoted in the specs.

A friend of mine who lives in a rural area, free of strong RF, has one and it performs well for him. He advised me, however, that he didn't think it would do well in my high-RF environment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks DXer.. So I will scratch the KT-500 off my list of things to tinker with. We are definitely not free of strong RF near my location :)

For those of you who have done the HHH mod on a 4228HD, did you reuse the original Balun that comes with the 4228HD (I assume you can use nuts and bolts or rivets again if needed), or did you replace it with something else ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last week I ordered some CM94444 from solid signal (when I ordered some HLSJ units), which look similar (and not considered too bad as far as I know). Not sure if the the CM units are solid conductors, but from what I've read they are pretty decent overall. I guess I'll use one of those. I should be getting them next week, since my sister has already received them, and she'll be up next week from AZ.

For testing, the alligator clips would be fine.. But would they hold up to any wind ? I'd be afraid that they'd come off during some high winds.. Maybe I'll try to jimmy-rig some with a small plastic hobby box (and use it as a spacer also) similar to original unit. I'll see.

Thnx for your input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just received my cm4221 and i tried it inside my house instead of the other antenna i had.. pointed towards the sky.. and i get all current channels even telequebec with no interference...(pointed towards mt royal)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Distant Channels not showing up.

Hi there,

I usually get all the normal channels that one gets in the St Laurent area. For the last 2 days, I am only limited to the local channels. No CBS,Nbc, Fox or Pbs.

I have always been able to easily pull those channels in with a great signal strength.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
You are most likely benefitting from favourable atmospheric propagation conditions when you receive those stations (from Mount Mansfield, I believe). Right now propagation conditions are downright lousy in eastern Canada! Bring on a nice winter high pressure area, and your reception will return!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply! I looked up "favourable atmospheric propagation conditions" in my Greek dictionary but even it was stomped. This "complete loss of signal" happened a couple of times in the past 2 years. How sure are you of your conclusion? No one else on this board seems to be benefiting from "propgation"!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think you mean 'Geek' dictionary, don't you? :)

Your weak channels are coming from Mount Mansfield, Vermont, over 120 kms away. This is much further than ATSC broadcasting was designed to cover, so you are receiving these signals by what is known as 'enhanced propagation' (propagation in this context means the spreading of radio waves through the atmosphere). Essentially, this is refraction of the radio signals through the atmosphere, allowing them to travel much farther than under 'normal' propagation conditions. The lousy weather at the moment is preventing this refraction, so the signals are not reaching you. I imagine that this was also the reason when you lost them previously. When we return to a nice winter high-pressure area with clear skies, I think your stations will return!

I cannot be absolutely certain of this analysis, as you may be suffering some kind of equipment fault, but I am well-versed in propagation modes (the 'DX' in my username means long-distance reception in Geek Speak, and identifies my main area of interest in OTA TV).

Posting your TV Fool report may help shed more light on this.

1001 - 1020 of 1081 Posts