17 Posts
Pierre-de-Coubertin / Bennett

I am near the olympic stadium, antenne point a Mt-Mansfield
From Mt Mansfield got

Fox at 6/10 bars
PBS at 8/10 bars
NBC a 10/10 bars
CBS at 10/10 bars

V is coming from the side, so its only at 5/10.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CM 3412

Picked up a CM 3412 from Saveandreplay while I was down in Toronto this past week, came home and installed it right away. This made a world of difference over the GE amp. Got my 44-1 and 33-1 rock solid now. Now just got to take on the ABC problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Jarry/St-Michel area

Ok. I've posted my results before, so this is an update.

I've given up on US stations.

I've tried using a 3414 and now a 3410 amp, both with and w/out a UVJS.

Results are that the more I amplify, the worst my results. I believe I suffer major multipath in this area, or I get some kind of interference on UHF that causes namely ch22 (CBS) to drop to around 10% (from 55% without amp).

I also noticed that around 1h25-1h30am, my signals increase dramatically (from 45-55% up to 65-75%).
Any idea what could be the cause, that gets shut off at around 1h30am every night?

For the time being, I have re-aimed my antenna to get the maximum signal for CBC-HD, SRC-DT and CIVM-HD. I can record them all with my HVR-1600 now.

Marc

·
Registered
96 Posts
Télé-Québec sign off?

(at least according to the TV listings I have in MythTV)

Could tuner overload cause the problems?
<Blink> :eek: It never occured to me. It doesn't go off air for the HD (ch27) though. Does ch17 go off completely at sign-off? If so, that would explain a lot.
Being as that's the closest channel to ch22 of CBS, and it's in the sight angle of my M4 antenna to the VT stations, yep... it could be the culprit.

I will inquire further, but thanks for the tip. ;)

Marc

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
Analog CIVM 17 turns off completely overnight. They even have a daily sign-off sequence, which I should remember to record on my next visit to Montreal ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
CIVM-17 overloads my other signals

Analog CIVM 17 turns off completely overnight. They even have a daily sign-off sequence, which I should remember to record on my next visit to Montreal ...
Can you elaborate? I'm curious now but, why record it?

So I need to block CIVM-17. What a pain.

Marc

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
There was nothing technically related to my comment about making recordings.
I am a fan of OTA TV, and particularly of the stuff stations show on TV when they go on/off the air.
I thought I should be recording these visual/audio sequences from analog OTA stations before they go off the air in a few years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fox 44.1

Hi,

I started with OTA recently and have been reading this and other forums to get up to speed with the requirements for the equipment. I live in a 5th floor condo in Ahuntsic and have an excellent view to Mount Royal and South in general. Until last week I used to get Fox 44.1 and 2 intermittently, mostly working during the night. I have very stable 3.1/2, 5.1/2, 33.1/2/3/4, 57.1/2/3 but couldn't get ABC 22.1/2 at all. I bought kitz preamplifier but didn't see much improvement with my 4221 like indoor antenna. However, since the last week I can't get 44.1/2 at all. I tried with and without the preamplifier but still nothing.
Has anyone noticed any drop in the signal?

·
Registered
312 Posts
@gogolaz, yes the signal has dropped on certain days from as much as 30-20 points. Even I am getting pixelation 1-2 days this week in the 30-35 range only when I normally should catch it in 75-77 range.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Very strange that you guys are having problems. Since Monday night (Dec. 28th) I have been getting WVNY-DT. Usually I don't get it at all. The signal strength is not great. At around 39% (34% is picture lock on my Sharp). So the audio does pop from time to time, and I get pixel break up. The HD signal on 22.1 is more unstable than the 22.2 SD signal. I guess there is less info being messed up due to the low reception signal. No problems to report with WFFF-DT either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Daemons:

Have you tried putting a wire mesh or reflector panel behind your antenna (and between your antenna and the TQ transmitter)? That should block some signal from there and increase your signal from the other direction.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Daemons said:
For the time being, I have re-aimed my antenna to get the maximum signal for CBC-HD, SRC-DT and CIVM-HD. I can record them all with my HVR-1600 now.
My friend lives on Pie-IX and Robert on the 3rd floor.

I installed a clone 4221 and with a CECB: he was getting WCAX good, WPTZ weak, WCFE Strong and WFFF very weak. Plus all of the Montreal Channels.

No amp, just with the antenna on the window inside.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you tried putting a wire mesh or reflector panel behind your antenna (and between your antenna and the TQ transmitter)? That should block some signal from there and increase your signal from the other direction.
I use an M4 with a 36" reflector already. The TQ signal is not behind my antenna, it's in the angle path of my US signals. I can't block it. I have to notch the channel out.

Marc

·
Registered
96 Posts
My friend lives on Pie-IX and Robert on the 3rd floor.

I installed a clone 4221 and with a CECB: he was getting WCAX good, WPTZ weak, WCFE Strong and WFFF very weak. Plus all of the Montreal Channels.

No amp, just with the antenna on the window inside.
I was getting WCAX & WPTZ ok and other the same, but my tuner card needs more signal than my Sharp TV does, so I need the amp. I also have close to 100' of coax from the antenna. Not the same conditions, also different location. I get multipath at this location which he probably doesn't.

I'm going to look into making myself a channel cut coax stub to cut ch17 out. Hopefully that will help.

Marc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all. Being one of the unfortunate ones to have Mount Royal in my way, I normally have had no chance with the US stations from Mt. Mansfield. However, over the last two days I have been catching WCAX (3.1 and 3.2) although just barely. A good breeze and I pretty much lose the signal. As it stands I've only peaked at a signal strength of 48, but it is enough to watch. Have they boosted their signal to take people like me into account or is it just luck that I have it? I was hoping for the others from there, but of course I do not get anything. Please let me know your thoughts.

41 - 60 of 1083 Posts