Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1081 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ville Emard

I just picked up a Philips PHDTV3 and it has made a great improvement in what I can pick up. I can finally pick up WCAX and WPTZ along with both PBS stations plus the local CBC French and English very cleanly when compared to my old rabbit ears with the standard UHF loop. No luck with ABC/WVNY or FOX/CW yet but I'm really enjoying what I'm able to pick up and really haven't played around with the position of the antenna yet.

I'm really new to this and it's really a blast to see what is available for free OTA. The thing I find really strange is that I can pick up US stations with much better results than I get with Canadian channels like CBC which is pretty weird. For example I can't pick up V on 42.1 at all and it's a local station while all four channel 57 feeds, three channel 33 feeds and both CBS and NBC are crystal clear.

And it's really sad that CTV hasn't set up a HD broadcast here in Montreal, especially with all the advertisements about how bad the local networks are doing.

But overall, high def is amazing and I'm really glad that I took the step up!

PS: By the way...I live in a first floor apartment facing SSW so I'm limited to an indoor antenna and unable to install a dish and unwilling to give Videotron my money. So OTA is really a lifesaver for me. If I can manage to pull in Fox and ABC, I'll be in heaven! LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I bougth a cm4228 mounted 10 feet above my house and Im using windows 7 media center with an ati 650 tuner

I get very good atsc

i get a good signal at

yet the image seams to cut in and out and is pixelated. I was catching it well,than i adjusted the antenna a bit more west to catch analog 46, it was working fine the whole day and the next day, the image went to crap, signal is still very good though.

I dont catch 57.1 57.2 57.3 anybody got any suggestions, would i need a preamp, maybe a second antenna? I live in the about 5km away from the olympic stadium, could it be affectimg my signal?

·
Registered
880 Posts
kdryden...

I would suggest you look at something like the Channel Master 3410, or 3412
I use the 3412, and it really helps in stabilizing the signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your not the first person to suggest this, so my problem is not the lack of signal but the refraction of the signal by interference which is causing an unstable picture which is supposed to be improved by getting a 3410, or 3412. Am i getting this right?

At the same time will either of these two you mention help to catch more channels? I can get other channels but their signals are weak so i dont get an image. I know it probably wont but i figured id ask anwyays.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Channel Master 3410 and 3412 offer a db gain, the second one even acts as a splitter. What I have found is that these units seem to handle picture break up very well. I use to have constant problems when I was using the GE amp. Any drop in signal strength would lead to both audio and video break up. Since using the 3412, all of that has stopped. Especially with WFFF-DT.
So, for that reason I suggested that you look at those units.

If you're not sure about them, try and buy them someplace where you can return them if you're not happy.

As for getting more channels with it. I doubt it. WVNY-DT is a problem for most people in Montreal. Then comes WFFF-DT. WCFE-DT is relatively easy to get for people west of the mountain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey bobrock, thanks for the reply...

I'm totally getting the correct cbs station.. remapping to 3.1

My issue though, is that 22.1 should be ABC, yet, i'm still getting the cbs channel instead. So basically, i'm getting cbs on both 3.1 and 22.1 According to this chart, abc (WVNY) is supposed to remap to 22.1
2.1 19.1 CBFT-DT SRC Montréal, QC
3.1 53.1 WCAX-DT CBS Burlington, VT
3.2 53.2 WCAX-DT WCAXtra Burlington, VT
5.1 14.1 WPTZ-DT NBC Burlington, VT
5.2 14.2 WPTZ-DT Wthr+ Burlington, VT
6.1 20.1 CBMT-DT CBC Montréal, QC
17.1 27.1 CIVM-DT TQ Montréal, QC
18.1 23.1 WNPI-DT PBS-SD Norwood, NY
18.2 23.2 WNPI-DT THINK Norwood, NY
18.3 23.3 WNPI-DT PBS-HD Norwood, NY
22.1 13.1 WVNY-DT ABC Burlington, VT
22.2 13.2 WVNY-DT ABC Burlington, VT
33.1 32.1 WETK-DT PBS-HD Burlington, VT
33.2 32.2 WETK-DT PBS-SD Burlington, VT
33.3 32.3 WETK-DT CREATE Burlington, VT
33.4 32.4 WETK-DT WORLD Burlington, VT
35.1 42.1 CFJP-DT TQS Montréal, QC
44.1 43.1 WFFF-DT FOX Burlington, VT
44.2 43.2 WFFF-DT CW Burlington, VT
57.1 38.1 WCFE-DT PBS-HD Plattsburgh, NY
57.2 38.2 WCFE-DT PBS-SD Plattsburgh, NY
57.3 38.3 WCFE-DT THINK Plattsburgh, NY

If anybody's got any idea what's going on, let me know. I've read that WVNY is difficult to get, but i'm just getting weirded out that i'm getting a prefectly clear channel on 22.1, exept, it's (cbs) wcax and not abc (wvny)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok so you scanned the channels and get 22.1 but its cbs something is not right with the tuner software

if you tune to channel 22 then it will get remaped to 3.1 and that is cbs .... thats ok ....

·
Registered
96 Posts
3.1 53.1 WCAX-DT CBS Burlington, VT
3.2 53.2 WCAX-DT WCAXtra Burlington, VT
22.1 13.1 WVNY-DT ABC Burlington, VT
22.2 13.2 WVNY-DT ABC Burlington, VT
If anybody's got any idea what's going on, let me know.
I have a very good idea whats going on. That WCAX real ch53 is wrong.
WCAX-DT(wikipedia) was on real ch53 before the final june 2009 switch over. It's now virtual 3.1, real ch22.
You have 22.1 virtual, real ch13 as ABC and thats correct. But your tuner is probably mixing the two since it can't tune WCAX-DT on ch53 anymore. There is only one 22.1 subchannel, not two.

I suggest you delete everything and rescan. Lol Something is mixed up big time and you'll waste more time trying to fix it than rescanning your channels from scratch.

Marc

Ps: Please add your location in your profile, so we know where you are located.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OTA HD reception in Cote des Neiges

Hello,

I'm trying to receive OTA digital channels in Cote Des Neiges in Montreal with a passive internal antenna "Omni TV Antenna, Passive".
In Montreal Downtown, this antenna permitted me to receive about 6 Digital channels. In Cote des neiges, I can't receive any digital channel with it.

Do you think I should buy an Antenna with an amplifier? Is there something else I can do to receive Digital Channels.

By the way, I cannot put an external antenna.

Thank you.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi...the Cote-des-neiges area of Montreal can be spotty. It really depends on what part of the area you live in.

Goto www.dtv.gov
and click on reception maps. Put in your address or postal code and you'll see what that'll give you. That'll show you US channels. As for getting any of the Montreal DT channels, that maybe even harder until the local DT stations place their transmitters on the mountain.

Also, with your present set-up, how close is your reception signal to your TV's picture lock for each channel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi According to dtv.gov, I should only receive WCFE PBS 57-1:(

Sorry but I didn't understand your question:
Also, with your present set-up, how close is your reception signal to your TV's picture lock for each channel? :confused:

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Hi According to dtv.gov, I should only receive WCFE PBS 57-1
I would use the online maps feature of TVfool.com.
Just type your complete address in either the stret or city box, and then switch to satellite view on the resulting google map to postion your antenna position exactly.
Chances are, though, if dtv.gov only lists WCFE, Mount Royal is probably shielding you from Mount Mansfield.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ref Post #1392

Okay, that means that you're living somewhere east of Cote-des-Neiges road, and north of Cote St-Catherine. You have the mountain blocking your Burlinton,VT stations. WCFE-DT is not bad. If you like PBS programming.

As for my original question. Let me explain. To see the signal meter in your TV you will need to tune into one of the DT channels. Let's try WCFE-DT. Tune into 38.1. Access the TV menus. Somewhere in the menus is a signal Meter. This varies in name from TV brand. This will take you to a signal meter. And you can see the signal strength. Now, a picture lock % will vary from TV brand. Example on my Sharp TV, I need 34% for a signal to lock so that I can get an image. Anything below will result in no image. Now your TV may be different and may require a different % to lock. By checking this out, you'll see how close you are to a signal lock. This can help you better place your antenna. It can also help you to determine if you need to get a better antenna. Or place a antenna outdoors. You can check all the channels this way if you are getting no picture lock on any of the DT channels.

Here is a list to make sure you tune ino the proper channel in order to check the signal meter.

13.1 - WVNY-DT
14.1 - WPTZ-DT
19.1 - CBFT-DT
20.1 - CBMT-DT
22.1 - WCAX-DT
23.1 - WNPI-DT
27.1 - CIVM-DT
32.1 - WETK-DT
38.1 - WCFE-DT
42.1 - CFJP-DT
43.1 - WFFF-DT

Also, make sure you place your indoor TV antenna near a window. This will help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks,

I also have a sharp TV. I'll try and see the signal meter today. As you said, this will help me place the antenna.
Do you think an antena with an amplifier would help me capture a better signal?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yes, a amp will help you. But, you also have to understand that if the signal is so low, or none at all, this will not help you. There are various pre-amp units that people on this board use. They can better explain it to you and make suggestions. As for my end, I use a Channel Master 3412. Not really a pre-amp but a signal splitter and pixel drop stabilizer. You might also look into the Channel Master 3410. Both these units also have a signal booster on them. The signal booster is better on the CM3410. Read up on them. And you'll better understand how they work. I've used both. But settled with the CM3412 simply because I could split the signal in order to feed my Digital Box/VHS set up in order to record programs.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Eloylb, go to www.tvfool.com and put in your address and then when it gives you your chart just copy and paste the URL from your browser's location bar into a reply here to this thread so that we can also see your chart. The info on that chart will be a huge benefit for the folks here who can then offer some great advice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
21 - 40 of 1081 Posts