Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

501 - 511 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Melc: That's a pretty big investment for just a few distinct channels. Several of them are analog too. You've got several VHF (real channels 2-13) channels in there, so the DB8e might be a bad choice. With the right antenna and maybe a rotor, you have hope for getting all of the pink stuff on your TVFool but there are no guarantees.

Do have a clear view of the East-south-east? Trees and buildings could kill any chance of reception with the TVFool that you are posting.

If you just want the big 3 English networks, you can aim a good VHF/UHF combo antenna at magnetic 126 and hope for the best. You might want to buy from a store that has a good return policy though. Remember that pre-amps only help overcome cable/splitting loses. They can't amplify a signal that isn't there, though a noisy preamp like the 7777 can add enough noise to kill an already weak signal.

I guess the question real questions are: What are your goals and how much are you willing to invest?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok thanks, guess I'll make due with analog 2 and 5 with a bad image at that. Not sure I want to invest in this. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Melc, you reran the TVFool at 28ft with the rural postal code. I was asking you to rerun it with the exact location, after you had positioned it properly using the online TV Maps satellite view feature.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Yep, accuracy is vital, so if you have a GPS or can pinpoint your location on Google Maps please use that information for TVFool, Melc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm in Aylmer, anybody having issues with TVA CHOT-DT?

I get it on 40.1 but only in SD! I use to get it in HD a few months ago on the same channel. Also, any luck getting V on 34.1. I'm out of luck with this one. I use a DB4 antenna.

Thanks,
JF

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi jeanfdemers,

From my experience, CHOT will try broadcasting in HD most of the time.
News will be in HD most of the time. But you'll often see a movies letterboxed, in SD inside a bigger HD frame.

I'm also having issue catching V, so you're not alone. It could be a problem with their transmitter, i usually am able to get it myself.

Cheers,
Francois

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't normally watch French channels so I was not aware of this, but I can confirm that 40-1 is not high def. I'm not getting any signal on 34-1. I live in Aylmer too and have an 8-bay antenna in my attic.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Elsewhere in this forum it has been noted that 34 and 40 are off the air at the moment. A member called the owning company and they said they had had a transmitter failure at CF. They had hoped to be back by now, but apparently not!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Gatineau,

It's been almost two years since I unplugged the cable and I live with my antenna on my roof. I use my HdHomeRun Connect Quatro to retransmit the signal in the house. So, for the last 2 years, I know that I only have my 13/14 stations available but since this summer, my receiver is capturing US stations (Fox, ABC, CBS, PBS) and add them to my listing. However my antenna (Clearstream 2V) is positioned at a 45 degrees angle to receive Manotick and Camp Fortune (I am in the sector Labrosse and Davidson) but the American stations are rather at 90 degree angle of my antenna which make watching those unfeasable.

Has it happened to others this summer? If I change my 4-bay antenna for a directional 8-bay, would I be more likely to receive them?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts

I know that I only have my 13/14 stations available but since this summer, my receiver is capturing US stations (Fox, ABC, CBS, PBS) and add them to my listing.

Has it happened to others this summer? If I change my 4-bay antenna for a directional 8-bay, would I be more likely to receive them?
Hello, urself25

You have been able to receive those US stations because of Tropospheric Propagation, which is seasonal at this time of year, making them stronger than usual. This is a signal report from rabbitears.info for the intersection of Boulevard Labrosse & Rue Davidson E, Gatineau, QC J8R 2M8:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=17065

This is an extract from that report:

You could use a more directional antenna with more gain to receive them when they are available, but then you would exclude some of your usual channels in other directions.

501 - 511 of 511 Posts