Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

481 - 500 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is an example of enhanced tropospheric ducting - a relatively short-lived event. I don't think he's receiving these every day!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I cannot say I really care about this station, but I haven't been able to get CTS/Yes TV for a little while now (probably since last month). I'm in Gatineau (Aylmer) and never had a problem in the past.

Is the station out? I get no signal at all.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I live in Aylmer and having no issue at all getting YES TV. It's channel 42-1. The only issue I have as of today is 13-1 is not working. That's CTV CJOHDT. I was watching it last night but today it's off. A couple of times recently they were still on air but their signal data was messed up and my receiver will not work of the digital station info is screwed up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hhmmm, that's strange! It's not like if I changed anything!

Well, next time I go in the attic I'll try to move the antenna to see if the signal comes back. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have an amplifier on my antenna attic because the signal from Herbert's Corners cuts in and out otherwise.

CTV 13-1 is still off for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I just noticed that my TV in the kitchen gets CTS without any issue (I get "good" which is in the middle of the scale on my LG). The Samsung, the computer's tuner right next to it and my cheap converter box cannot get the signal... They all share the same antenna and the other channels are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
CTV is back on.

Yes some receivers are better at grabbing weak signals than others. I have two TiVos in my house and one of them is older than the other and it sometimes has trouble picking up City TV. The one downstairs is a newer model and it doesn't have any issue and both TVs are using the same antenna. In fact, the television upstairs has the shorter wire because it's closer to the attic.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Have you tried connecting the coax feeding the kitchen TV to the other receivers to eliminate the possibility that it is a cabling issue?

Like Funky Town says, there can be significant differences in sensitivity between different tuners (particularly computer tuners, as evidenced by the considerable discussion on the topic in other threads!).

Can you describe your set-up, particularly how you are splitting the signal? A TVFool link would be good too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got the signal back, it was a loose connection behind the cover plate. It's still very weak though because I use a -3.5db splitter there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My setup is an attic-mounted antenna (the Lee Valley's kit + 2 extensions), about 35' of cable coming down, then a drop amplifier (+8db) connected to four rooms.

Then one of those signals is split using a regular splitter (-3.5db). I'm really close to the antenna at Camp Fortune, so would getting another amplifier on this one overload Camp Fortune channels? And can you actually have multiple amplifiers?

·
Registered
556 Posts
BingoRingo, the answer to your problems is not another amplifier (which would very likely overload), but a better antenna. Fractal antennas are much better suited to much higher frequencies than those in the TV bands. In fact, none of the antennas recommended in these forums by the real experts, or in the sticky of recommended antennas are fractals

You would be much better off with something like the Channel Master 4221. If you read through the threads for the Ottawa area, you will find many satisfied users of this type of antenna.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe one day I'll get something better. As I said earlier, only Yes TV is giving me problems right now and I do not watch this channel, so it's really just that I want it to work because it should.

One day I'll give it a shot. Are there any good resellers in Ottawa (other than Kijiji) with a good return policy if it doesn't work out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Near Campbell's Bay, QC - Ottawa Valley

Hi, I live in the Ottawa Valley. The info on tv fool tells me my reception here is quite weak. I am looking into purchasing a DB8e along with a 7777 pre amp. Here is my TV FOOL analysis results. Any advice would be appreciated.

TV Fool

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Melc, a TVFool based on a rural postal code is not of much use -- it gives you some random point in the middle of a large area.

It would be helpful if you could rerun your tvfool using your exact location using the "online tv maps" feature. Switch to satellite view, and you can probably locate your house exactly, and then click on "Make Radar Plot", and send s the link to that page.
Note that the geographic coordinates will be masked in the eventual Radar Plot listing.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
great, that's a good start. Could you rerun it again, and specify 28feet, like you did the first time? (The height above ground is in a box on the first result page, before you click on "Make Radar Plot".

481 - 500 of 511 Posts