Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

461 - 480 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Keep us posted on the results xilbus... Thinking of trying a Kiztech KT-200 here... I'm not getting (nor did I EVER get) any US channels, even late at night, scanning degree by degree... I have a newer CM-7778 and while I get all locals perfectly that is all. Everyone seems to have such ease to get PBS I have a clear LoS and decent elevation (30 feet). No idea why I can't get PBS or any US channels. Tear.

The ability to receive the US station varies a lot across the NCR. Those located in the south of the region (e.g. Barrhaven) and some in Aylmer find it relatively easy. Those in between less so :-(

A high-gain yagi and a low-noise pre-amp are usually needed, even for those in the better areas. Every dB of noise saved in a pre-amp is an extra dB of noise margin in the ATSC decoder, so pre-amps with less than 1 dB noise are the best choice. Unfortunately, the Channel Master amps do not fall into this category! The most preferred are the Research Communications amps from the UK, but these cost about $200 delivered. Second choice might be the Kirztech amps that claim less than about 0.5 dB noise. Less than $100 delivered. I use two stacked 91 XGs and a Kitztech 200, but with a noise margin of -21 dB for rf 23, I rarely see WNPI even in tropo events.

When comparing the results of two different amps, it needs to be done within minutes, as propagation quality can vary widely within just a hour as most reception of the US stations is mostly due to tropospheric refraction caused by cooling of the ground in the evening. Some evenings the signals are strong, the next evening they are non-existent.

It's good that so many are trying to get the US stations - it's helpful to learn what works in various locations and what doesn't.

·
Registered
110 Posts
rlservices,

The 91XG is great for UHF, especially for the high frequency channels. However your highest frequency weak channel is PBS on RF38. You might want to check the gain of the 91XG at that channel.

You also have a shot at CBS on RF7. I don't think the 91XG will help you much with that.

All your Canadian channels are strong enough to not require a high gain antenna.

IMO, you might want to look at a CM-4228HD. It has reasonable gain on high-VHF (for RF7) and on lower frequency UHF (for RF 38).

Regards,

Hugh

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
It is a variable gain amp (0 to 36 db gain) with an overload indicator LED. This amplifier is also more overload resistant. The variable gain can allow you to get just the right amount of gain for your location. It has a 0.84 DB noise figure at max gain.
I will be curious to see how it performs, but I am not a big fan of "variable gain" amplifiers. I put it in quotes as typically in reality it is actually has a built in variable attenuator. If it is for reducing overload, it will probably be before the amp, which defeats the purpose of having a low noise amp.

Maybe this one is different, but I am sceptical.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
You also have a shot at CBS on RF7.
I disagree. It is much harder to receive weak VHF signals than weak UHF signals. My rule of thumb is to subtract 10dB from the TVFool NM for all VHF-HI (channels 7-13) signals.

IMO, you might want to look at a CM-4228HD. It has reasonable gain on high-VHF (for RF7) and on lower frequency UHF (for RF 38).
While the CM-4228HD is a good antenna, its VHF-HI gain isn't nearly adequate for receiving weak signals. To receive WWNY-TV, rlservices would probably need something like a 10Y7S (which has been discontinued for about 10 years) or a massive Channel Master 3671-B, which is needlessly big, because of its VHF-LO performance. Even then, nothing is guaranteed and it would probably be no more reliable than WNYF-CD, which is a repeater of WWNY-TV.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Roger,
No overload up till now, all my 15 locals come in strong and it helped with analog channel 8 and 36 tho i dont care for them. Last night i saw what the upgrade brings. Last night pbs came in at 23 db. On the 7778 i had a max of 16 db and last night i got fox at 19 db max

Maybe its just the time of year since i never had the antenna hooked up at this time of year before. I was hoping to get more reliability out of pbs and fox/cbs.

Right now my tv sees the signal from pbs but the errors are in the 5000's

·
Registered
99 Posts
Man , i did a ota install in aylmer, my friend ordered a antenna direct db8 and he didnt get a pre amp. Well. The bugger gets pbs watertown without a pre amp. Im highly jealous.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man , i did a ota install in aylmer, my friend ordered a antenna direct db8 and he didnt get a pre amp. Well. The bugger gets pbs watertown without a pre amp. Im highly jealous.
He's lucky, I got a pretty low end antenna which should in theory get all the Ottawa channels (ANT2092 from Walmart) and I cannot get any channel from Herbert's Corner, and Radio-Canada comes in really bad, in the attic, with a pre-amp from The Source (that I got years ago).

I'm going to play with the antenna a little to see if I can get something better, but so far my $20 rabbit ears get better reception when I move around on the first floor.

Very disappointed. I cannot fit something much bigger through the attic entrance hole unfortunately. I'm in Le Plateau, just a few kilometres from the Camp Fortune antenna (which all come in great, except Radio-Canada).

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
BingoRingo, I would first try reception without the Radio Shack preamp. they were known to have pretty high noise figures, which could kill your reception, especially in an attic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
BingoRingo, I would first try reception without the Radio Shack preamp. they were known to have pretty high noise figures, which could kill your reception, especially in an attic.
Thanks; that's what I tried originally and I could get even less channels unfortunately. I still have the powered splitter Videotron installed for cable, I could try that, it's probably a better quality.

I'll move the antenna around in the attic to see if I can find a better spot, although at 29C and sun today, I will probably do this another day!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hope you can get your money back. :)
You gotta love Walmart for that! I think it must have a defect though, technically as long as you have metal in a certain shape it should work, maybe something was defective in the little connection box, nothing that I could notice, but there was a printed circuit card in there.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
technically as long as you have metal in a certain shape it should work
There are lots of variables such as the length and shape of the elements, the spacing between them, the spacing between the elements and the reflector and the length of the feed-lines. Get those wrong and it will seriously hurt your performance. The thing about DTV is since you either get a perfect picture or nothing, it is often hard for the average person to tell if their antenna is junk or not, which is why there are so many cheap ones on the shelves (people can't resist a bargain). It costs money to make sure an antenna is designed and manufactured properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Weak signal on some channels

Hi guys,

I've been setup for some time on my CM 4224HD and have been getting good results but lately noticed that 34-1 V Tele and CTV 13-1 are having trouble coming in. I've tried re-orienting without any change. Any ideas on trying to improve 34-1 at least as my wife has been on my case for that one! :) :)

Here's my tvfool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=f1f02db331ca6a

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
OTA reception Gatineau

Suretma,

There's no reason why you cannot get V and CTV, something happened to your setup, either you've added some amplification or your connectors are loose.

So for now, remove any amp, point your antenna at Camp Fortune and check your wiring and tighten all connections properly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Suretma,

I am also having problem getting V in Gatineau for the last few weeks. I didn't care since I presently do not record anything from V. I will investigate as soon as all of my 2015 tv show end in a few weeks. But I don't have problem with CTV since I have added a old rabbit ear antenna to my Digiwave antenna.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I've been setup for some time on my CM 4224HD and have been getting good results but lately noticed that 34-1 V Tele and CTV 13-1 are having trouble coming in.
It won't explain your issues with 34-1, but the CM-4224HD is a UHF antenna and doesn't do well with channel 13. CJOH is very strong so it will often come in anyway, but adding even a small VHF-HI dipole antenna should resolve that issue.

461 - 480 of 511 Posts