Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

441 - 460 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks guys for the info :)
ill stick with the 18's and the 28's for CBS i have a mini bud in the backyard that gets cbs feeds so i guess im all good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good morning everyone,
Started to pick up Channel 5 over the weeked. Seems like its CHRO from Pembroke ? Im not getting a nice picture but im not pointing that way at all.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
CHRO channel 5 analog from Pembroke is the same as CHRO-DT-43 43.1 digital from Herberts Corners, so its reception in Ottawa is just a curiosity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

New to the OTA world... I'm in Aylmer. My setup consists of an HD Stacker antenna from Denny on a 10 foot pole, with a CM z-type chimney mount and a CM-7778 pre-amp. Also have the CM-9521 motor setup with an additional 3 foot pole.

It's a sturdy setup, finished the install on Saturday during the big winds and it didn't flinch, wobbled a little but that's normal...

I get 14 digital stations in the region (+1 SD (6.2)). Am I missing any?

No luck getting any other channels so far, even while scanning from the east to the
south west with 4 degree increments. I have a very clear line of sight from the roof in that direction. Any ideas why I'm not getting anything? I've tried both the HDHomerun PLUS tuner and my Samsung TV tuner with the same results for both.

Here are a few pics of the setup:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
dascope, you're getting all the local channels, but you probably didn't need such an elaborate setup for that.

To know whether you could expect to see the PBS or CBS/Fox channels from the US, we'd need to see your TVFool, using the map locator feature with the antenna location positioned exactly on your chimney (in the satellite view).

On analog, you should probably also see CHRO (CTV2) analog from Pembroke, The CTV repeater in Cornwall, and the CKWS, the CBC Kingston affiliate analog repeater in Smiths Falls. Other than the CKWS Kingston, these are all identical to local stations you receive already.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
You may wish to consider better support for the antenna(s). The mast is not very strong (small diameter) and the antenna(s) have a lot of leverage over those two clamps on the chimney. You may wish to consider a shorter or stronger mast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
57, why do you believe I need a stronger or shorter mast? Too much weight on it? If anything I'd have less confidence in the chimney mount than the mast... It seems plenty sturdy?

Does your comment have anything to do with the wind?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
You might be able to get WNPI, but you're probably suffering from not being able to constructively use a preamp (you might be too close to Camp Fortune for that), and the adjacent channel interference for CHCh on channel 22. (You need to push the pending button to see CHCH and the CBC stations. Better yet, post the individualized link to your report.)

Is that a combiner or a preamp on your mast?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Dascope welcome to the forum. what are the odds of 2 HD stackers in Aylmer? hehe.
whoa nice xilbus! I did a lot of research and that's the antenna I figured would give me the best chances of getting US channels... no luck yet but it's a work in progress!

here you go tvlurker:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5b9430aafc0398

any help is much appreciated!

oh and as stated in my original post, it's a CM-7778 preamp, not a combiner. I manage to pickup all local stations with the preamp, but I can't aim straight at the towers.

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts
57, why do you believe I need a stronger or shorter mast? Too much weight on it? If anything I'd have less confidence in the chimney mount than the mast... It seems plenty sturdy?

Does your comment have anything to do with the wind?
Any force applied to the antennas by the wind will be magnified by roughly a factor of 4 based on my guestimate of the lengths involved. I don't believe the top strap/clamp would be able to hold in a strong wind and perhaps if it holds, the mast may bend. Others here may have additional comments since I'm not that into OTA. I just know I wouldn't have that much mast/antenna hanging out that distance from a chimney strap.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry to pour cold water on your choice of antenna, but you have no real need for the VHF (top) part of the array , as the only VHF station you'd be interested on here (ch 13) can be received on a bent paperclip, and by the average UHF antenna as well, and because the signals from the US stations are very weak, you need a high-gain yagi like the AD 91XG to maximize the chance of receiving them. In addition, the very directional pattern and high front-to-back ratio of such a yagi helps reduce adjacent-channel problems (by reducing their intensity).

At least one other member not far from you has not had great success with the US stations, even with a 91XG. All to say, you're unlikely to find it easy with your current set-up :-(

On the brighter side, the signal strength of the US stations usually increases in the summer due to tropospheric propagation (particularly on the evenings), so you might have some success in a month or two. In the meantime, work out the exact direction of Lyon Mountain (WCFE) and South Colton (WNPI, CBS & Fox) from TVFool and point your array in exactly those directions and start hunting after about 10 pm.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
oh and as stated in my original post, it's a CM-7778 preamp, not a combiner. I manage to pickup all local stations with the preamp, but I can't aim straight at the towers.
I think you're going to have trouble with WNPI unless you can somehow get CHCH into a null on the antenna. (I don't know where that null might be, since I haven't been able to find any antenna pattern data on the web yet for the HD Stacker)

I would use the TVfool maps feature to figure out the exact location of WCFE on 38, and try for that. WCFE does not suffer from any adjacent local channels. When you use satellite view, and 'show lines to transmitters' in TVFool online maps, you can 'spot' local landmarks that you can use to aim the antenna at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
57, thank you for the input, I will keep a close eye on it, I'll start looking for a better mast.

DXer, I really appreciate the feedback. Still a newbie and I want to learn as much as possible. I'll see what I can achieve with the HD Stacker and may replace it eventually, I'll keep reading up and reading reviews!

tvlurker, roger that I will give that a shot.

xilbus, what have you been able to achieve with the HD stacker? What preamp are you using?

thanks!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Woke up today at 5:30 and decided to do a scan
picked up 7.1 .2 18's 28's and 57's all in one scan was nice. Wish it was like that all the time lol. Thats it im moving closer to the border lol

Dascope, I have the same pre amp as you and im thinking of upgrading to the kt-200 for a lower noise and more power. This week I cut some slack that was in my cable run from the antenna to the tv and I probably removed 20feet of coax.

From the time I get home after work I get pbs 18's and a bit after i start to pick up 28's and If i turn towards Plattsburg I pick up pbs also 57's

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good morning everyone,

Last night I upgraded my pre amp from a 7778 to a 7777 and to be honest I was very disapointed. I still got my local 15 stations however pbs nor fox 28.1 came in and normally i pick up pbs after work. Maybe last night there was a storm in the south but i got nothing.

However this morning before going to work I did a scan and pbs and fox came in and both where wayy stronger then what I had before.

with the 7778 pbs would max out at 16 db and this morning I had 21 db on pbs. 18db for fox.

Ill keep the 7777 on the mast for now but if by tomorrow im not impressed more ill remove it and return it for a refund.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep us posted on the results xilbus... Thinking of trying a Kiztech KT-200 here... I'm not getting (nor did I EVER get) any US channels, even late at night, scanning degree by degree... I have a newer CM-7778 and while I get all locals perfectly that is all. Everyone seems to have such ease to get PBS I have a clear LoS and decent elevation (30 feet). No idea why I can't get PBS or any US channels. Tear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I just cancelled my Videotron last month and got a Roku and Chromecast. Works nice but I also want to try and get OTA channels. Makes the setup a bit more "wife-friendly".

Not knowing about this I went on saveandreplay.com and asked for a bit of help and was suggested to purchase (http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/Antennas_Direct_Clearstream2.asp).

My TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5b94726da2e708

I'm looking for a roof mounted antenna, i'm about 30 feet in the air with a clear view south.

Am I just dreaming or is it possible to get some US channels? Does anyone in my area have a setup that works nice and gets a maximum amount of channels?

I don't mind paying a bit more for a nice setup, any help would be greatly appreciated in terms of antenna choice.

Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
@rlservices: for US stations, look at the 91XG or other Yagi style directional antennas with a good preamp. Speaking of, I contacted Kitz Technologies regarding their KT-100 and 200 preamps. The sales team made me aware of their newest model, the KT-500:

We are coming out with a new model KT-500 amplifier. It is a variable gain amp (0 to 36 db gain) with an overload indicator LED. This amplifier is also more overload resistant. The variable gain can allow you to get just the right amount of gain for your location. It has a 0.84 DB noise figure at max gain. 100$ + shipping.

It has been ordered and I should be receiving it shortly as they already have some in stock. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome rlservices,

I have a roku 3 and a Roku 2 the combination of the roku and a OTA antenna is perfect for your tv needs. Just like Dascope wrote. Save time and money and go right for a 91XG from Antenna Direct with a rotor and a pre amp. You should be able to pick up PBS from Watertown and CBS/fox.

441 - 460 of 511 Posts