Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a Tivo or other third party PVR will allow this, but which TV provider's PVR will still work for playing programs after you have cancelled your subscription?

I know the old Bell 9200 (MPEG-2) works and I've heard the 9242 will work as long as it is connected to your dish.

·
Super Moderator
56,859 Posts
Rogers Ontario (Digital Cable) will not play, unless you disconnect them from cable before cancelling service and they will not boot without service. Theoretically, they will play for a while if you disconnect before cancelling and have them hooked to a UPS so that they don't need to boot from a power failure. They may not play after a certain period of time - say 3-4 weeks, but by then you should have been able to view your recordings. If they lose power, they will not boot and therefor they will not play. Suggest you watch all your recordings before switching/cancelling.

Rogers Ignite will not work since the recordings are in the cloud. The box itself is not recording.

I believe that Bell Fibe will not work without an active connection.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Bell Satellite receivers (9242, 9400 and 9500), all play recorded shows perfectly without subscription!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've read here that the current Bell PVR's need to receive signal from a Bell satellite to play recordings. Is that correct?

It's not the same with Shaw Direct? Do you have to disconnect the receiver before cancelling so it won't be disabled?

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Most OTA PVRs never need a subscription. Some may require a subscription for TV guide data but they are usually dirt cheap.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I think I've read here that the current Bell PVR's need to receive signal from a Bell satellite to play recordings. Is that correct?

It's not the same with Shaw Direct? Do you have to disconnect the receiver before cancelling so it won't be disabled?
I used to be a Bell Satellite customer. If I recall correctly, and don't quote me if I'm wrong its been a while since I was a customer., but I remember that my disconnected receiver was able to play recordings just fine. There may be a certain time it will work when disconnected from the dish then it will stop, I do not know what this time frame is.

I even bought a receiver long ago from someone else and he still had recordings on it that he never deleted and I was able to play them, though I formatted the receiver afterwards because I wanted nothing to do with is recordings.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
A 9200 I once had played recordings for about a year after it was disconnected from the dish and the account cancelled. Leaving it connected to a dish may make that worse since it would allow Bell to deactivate the receiver. 9200s must be connected to a dish and have a signal to be used for OTA recordings but that's a different issue.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My Bell 9242 still plays 10 years after disconnection. Dish is long gone.
My Bell 9242 that I rented for 5 years and then had it for rent free for 2+ years had to be returned when I switched to Fibe. The contract now states that you basically rent it for free but it is still property of Bell. So you may not be able to actually keep the PVR after cancellation.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bell used to let you purchase equipment. Same with Shaw Gateway. I guess this is why they only let you rent now.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bell still sells satellite receivers, but refurbs only.

Most TV providers used to sell receivers, thinking once you'd bought one you were unlikely to switch. Have most of them changed to rental only? You can buy Telus Optik receivers.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Renting receivers is a cash cow. Take a cheap receiver that will last for 5 or 10 years and rent it out for between $10 to $15 month instead if selling it for $200-$300. Do the math. They may need to replace a few but if they are properly installed the vast majority will last over 5 years. Even at $200-$300 those receivers are overpriced. When they do sell receivers they often sell 5 year old refurbs for the same price as new. It's such a racket that the FCC told the US cable companies to support third party products. Due to delaying tactics and politics, not much came of that but competition from streaming services is now forcing them to support third party streaming devices. All except for Rogers, of course, They still rent $100 hardware for $8/mo and only support browsers for their lame Ignite TV streaming service. Many other IPTV services support popular streaming devices.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Telus and Shaw Direct give "free" rentals. Telus requires a 2 year commitment and minimum # of theme packs. I don't know about Shaw.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I know a Tivo or other third party PVR will allow this, but which TV provider's PVR will still work for playing programs after you have cancelled your subscription?

I know the old Bell 9200 (MPEG-2) works and I've heard the 9242 will work as long as it is connected to your dish.
9242 works fine without the dish. I had about 30 hours of programmes recorded on my 9242 receiver before moving to a Fibe neighbourhood. They all played perfectly without any kind of hookup to Bell Sat. The 9242 also has OTA capability and just for fun I added the antenna to see if it still worked. It did and so did the ability to record. The 9242 was and still is the best Bell PVR/receiver I've ever had. It is way better than the receivers that come with Fibe but that's another topic.

·
Super Moderator
18,494 Posts
I can add that Shaw Cable "classic" PVRs such as the DCX3400 will "sort-of" work. I can't comment on the Shaw Gateway or BlueCurve.

Here are the qualifications. As far as I know, Shaw will send a deactivation code to the PVR, rendering it useless unless you re-subscribe. To avoid this, you can disconnect the coax before you cancel your service and you will be able watch your recordings as long as the PVR has power. This has been known to work for a year, just plugged into a wall outlet. (Winnipeg generally has stable power.)

In the event of a power outage, it's possible to reconnect the coax and reboot the PVR, The PVR will reload even though you don't have an active subscription. It takes about 15 minutes to load the menus and guide data and you'll be able to watch your recorded programs and even watch free preview channels. However, I wouldn't recommend leaving the coax connected. It's possible Shaw periodically sends out deactivation codes to unsubscribed PVRs on some sort of schedule. One final note - Shaw generally doesn't physically disconnect the coax when you cancel your subscription, since there are no analog signals and everything is controlled digitally. This makes self-install much easier for you or the next resident to re-subscribe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts