Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Falcon said:
You can also use a PCI DVB-S card listed in this thread.
As long as the card has a common interface slot which you can insert your subscribed Nagravision card into it.
Edit: The 6100 and 9200 models do not have a card so you will need to use a card from a model which has one.
It only uses S-video for capture...I want the exact digital image to be transferred over to my computer.

Please, if any Bell 9220 owners have tried this, please post your results here!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
this is: PVR Rip Discussion Thread

Falcon said:
You can also use a PCI DVB-S card ... The 6100 and 9200 models do not have a card so you will need to use a card from a model which has one.
I have posted my comments and concerns in the thread mentioned, but to clarify something here, NONE of the commonly available PCI cards will decode the 8PSK encoding scheme that BEV and Dish use for hi-def broadcasting.

Also, as I thought I mentioned at the top of this thread, only the BEV 5100, 5800, and 5900 satellite receivers are compatable with the proceedures described here.
(and the American 501, 508, and 510's which are their equals)

·
Registered
153 Posts
...back to PVRs...

MrGrinch said:
I've resolved the DivX encoding problems.
Turns out that Dr. DivX needs to be brought up on malpractice charges...
[but] Auto Gordian Knot ... works flawlessly...
Crunched down a complete 3-hour CFL game to a 1 gig file and looks great.
I am elated at your success!
Glad to hear good words about Gordian Knot.
I'm not really into conversions to DivX (against my religion, you know) but for those who are, this is gold!

So, your 2.5 or 3 gig game crunched down to 1gb, eh?
You might want to post your computer horsepower, and the time it took, as encouragement to others.

This thread is all about ripping shows from your PVR, but the various things you can do with it afterwards are fuel to the fire as well.

Great job!
/

·
Registered
1 Posts
5900 PVR Rip

New member here,
been reading this forum carefully for 5900 PVR rip to PC,
learned two things,
rip by hard drive, issue voiding warranty on the PVR,
other is the S-video rip, issue with audio and some quality issues,
is there any other way without taking out the hard drive from the PVR?

·
Registered
153 Posts
"cleaner" variation on a dirty job...

Well, copying to a DVD player, using coax, composite video (RCA plugs), or the Svideo connector aren't technically "ripping".
But I get your drift.
I've done the above, as well as removing the HD.
Both have their place. Go with which is more comfortable for you.
If there were any other way, I'd have tried it. ;)

As to the point of removing the hard drive, there is something I hinted at but never quite said.
I'm not squeemish about getting up to my elbows in the guts of the equipment, but here's a little cleaner way....

If you unplug the PVR, remove its lid, you will see where the hard drive plugs into the motherboard for both data and power.
(btw, this is the only proper power-down sequence: turn off with remote or front panel; wait 15 seconds; pull smart card {listen to the drive "park"}; pull the power cord)

By making cables which mate with the cables from your PVRs hard drive, you could connect to it for power and data.
Simple double-males won't do the job. Think about the geometry.
I've never done it this way, but it would avoid removing the drive and tearing the security sticker.
If you don't own the unit, don't open the unit.!.

I'm not going into any further details.
This is just an idea, and more I think about it, the less I like it.
Anyone who doesn't have the knowledge and understanding to get their hands dirty shouldn't be doing any of this anyway. :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Favorite Software?

I finally took my courage in my two hands and opened up my 5900, took out the hard drive, installed it as a slave in my computer, and used the terrific (and free!) PVRExplorer to extract a bunch of programs to my hard drive.

It works well!

My issues involve the processing required before burning to DVD.

For example, I had several episodes of Rick Steve's Europe, which I wanted to combine on one DVD. This means creating a menu. I downloaded the 30-day free trial of Ulead Movie Factory 4. Creating the menu was not too difficult, but it took about 16 hours to process on my 900 MHz PIII computer before I could burn it to DVD. Is this the best I can expect?

When I want to put a single program on a DVD, I don't bother with creating a menu. I use VideoReDo Plus to edit out the commercials, and then use VSO DivxToDVD to process into DVD format. This processing takes about two times the length of the movie i.e. a two-hour movie takes four hours. Why is this processing time so much shorter than using Ulead?

What software are others using for this purpose?

Dave S.

·
Registered
196 Posts
joedoe said:
you should head over to http://www.dvdrhelp.com
They are so many programs and methods that it is something that you need to read up on.
I've been there, as well as a number of other related web sites.

I find homing in on specific information there very time consuming.

Here, because we have a common subject very much narrowed down from what is on those sites, I hope for more direct answers.

Dave S.

·
Registered
153 Posts
another member of the "extract 'n burn" club!

Congrats! Another successful DVD-maker!
dschell_2000 said:
It works well!

... but it took about 16 hours to process on my 900 MHz PIII computer before I could burn it to DVD. Is this the best I can expect?

What software are others using for this purpose?
See my post, #22, above in this thread for authoring software.
I can "compile" two hour-long shows, or a movie, and have it ready to burn in under 20 minutes.
So, that's 10 minutes to edit, 20 min to author, and another 10 minutes to burn the DVDs.
I don't re-encode, and that was what your many-hour Ulead run did.
Plus, Ulead is very tricky to get working just right.

If you do insist on re-encoding, then your CPU is way underpowerd for the job.

I also rely on dual SATA hard drives, allowing the programs to read from one while writing to the other.
You'd be surprised how much this improves performance.
For instance, when I do the extraction witih PVRexplorer, a one-hour TV show takes me 4 minutes using one of my drives, but if I put the intermediate data on the second drive, that time falls to 3 minutes.
Same for saving video after editing. I haven't timed it, but I'd say using two drives saves half the time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
joedoe said:
For very simple dvd creation and simple menus I use spruce up.
The following web site:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/spruceup.cfm

says: "This full featured trial version is limited to two watermarked exports after which the software must be registered (registration is not possible any more, unfortunately)."

So, is there a secret you can reveal as to how to make the trial version fully functional, or did you register while it was still possible?

Dave S.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have heard good things about TMPGnc Author (I think thats the way you spell)

I have had Spruceup for a very long time and yes it is not supported anymore. I believe apple bought it out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anole said:
Congrats! Another successful DVD-maker!

See my post, #22, above in this thread for authoring software.
I can "compile" two hour-long shows, or a movie, and have it ready to burn in under 20 minutes.
So, that's 10 minutes to edit, 20 min to author, and another 10 minutes to burn the DVDs.
I don't re-encode, and that was what your many-hour Ulead run did.
Plus, Ulead is very tricky to get working just right.

If you do insist on re-encoding, then your CPU is way underpowerd for the job.
Thanks for that information.
I was not aware that I don't have to re-encode.
That's the kind of detail that I'm looking for about different software.
I will check out DVDLab.

Dave S.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Authoring and Editing tools

If you want to learn about other authoring programs , some of which are free, and how to get Ulead tamed, et al....
You might do some searching on the VideoReDo message board.
One of their guys, PHD, knows how to get Ulead under control.
However, remember to bring your results back here.

VideoReDo is the editor I use, and I strongly recommend it.
I think others have found some free editors, and by all means explore them.
When you are tired of problems, lip-synch errors, etc, then you'll be ready for VideoReDo.

(I really should collect a comission from those folks! ;) )
Well, at least tell them Anole sent you. I'm pretty active on their forum.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Authoring and Editing Tools

I bought VideoReDo Plus because it got lots of recommendations, and because it seems to work for me.

I'll probably NOT buy Ulead Movie Factory, now that I've tried DVD-Lab, and found that not only is processing time greatly reduced, but the resulting VIDEO_TS folder is quite a bit smaller.

I wish I knew more fundamentals of the process.
Why demux and remux?
In what situations would you re-encode, and what would be gained?

Dave S.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Anole said:
VideoReDo is the editor I use, and I strongly recommend it.
At Anole's recommendation I d/loaded the trial version and liked it so much I bought the full version. Very easy to use and has no trouble with large files (ie editing commercials out from a 3 hour football game is a snap).

Anole, you should get a commission! ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
MrGrinch -

I was very pleased with your recent success.
Those games probably impressed your friends, too! ;)

As for VideoReDo, by all means, post a nice compliment on the VRD forum.
..and thank you very much.
I'm just sharing what I've learned this last 9-10 months.

dschell_2000

We can discuss all that here, and everyone will learn.
If you go pick up some info at the VRD forum, be sure to bring it all back here and share.

We don't have to re-invent the wheel, but there's no reason we can't have a good solid FAQ here for making DVDs.

And I hope you're as happy with that editor as I am.
Saved my bacon! :)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I used womble mpeg-vcr to edit commercials out. Was long time ago but from memory worked fine.

dschell_2000,

Depeding on what software is being used it can only handle the video info for re-encoding the video hence why you would need to demux the streams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Site!

Wow, this is the best and most detailed how-to site I have found on the web re retrieving the content from my Dish 510. I'm almost out of space and there are quite a few things I don't want to just write over. I agree with earlier post, it's very hard to get any actual comprehensive how-to from the Dish forum on Yahoo--too fragmented and jumps around a lot. This site is fantastic and makes me think I could actually do it. I will be looking into getting removable drive bays for my PVR and PC to try this soon. Thanks again, this site is a great resource.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Improved Extractor: 522 & 625

For those of you disappointed that only 501/5100, 508/5800, and 510/5900 PVRs were supported, there is news!
Now, it seems the same developers have managed to extract from the later model standard definition PVRs.
I believe the BEV 5200 is the same as the Dish 522, and it now appears to be supported, at least in beta test.

As before, the groups on Yahoo are just as difficult to follow & understand as always.
There is now a new group, PVRExplorer, which handles the newest version of the program.
It's called PVR Explorer Pro, and takes the place of the older version, adding new features, and support for the later models.
The program works the same way as always, so if you've used PVR Explorer ver 1068, there's not much new.

Actually, the program is faster than before.
I used to extract a 1-hour show in 4 minutes on one drive and in 3 minutes if using both my computer's SATA drives.
My first test suggests a 1-hour show now takes maybe 1.5 minutes, and I only need to use one of my drives.
That should give those of you with a single drive a heck of a speed boost.

The catch with the new program seems to be that it times out at the end of the year, to be replaced by another one at that time.
It is in beta test, and this is one way for the developer to prevent questions from and confusion by people using out of date versions.

I will continue extracting from my 508/5800 'till I can get my hands on a newer unit.
Those of you with 5200's might want to follow in our footsteps.

41 - 60 of 257 Posts