Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you record an OTA chan on a 9242 you can rip that using pvrexplorer. However, none of the satellite chans work. I assume this is due to encryption as pvrexplorer just sits there at a few hundred kb/sec without doing anything.

Pinza, what is bell storing in 1080p? I don't think any chans broadcast in 1080p so maybe you're referring to on demand content?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Again I'll qualify this by saying when I did this, it was a long time ago. But when I did it, I got it to work with stuff recorded from Bell satellite channels, didn't try the OTA stuff. This was with the SATA hotswap.

Of course like I said before, its quite possible (and likely) that frootloop has newer information and since I've tried it, they've done a better job of encrypting.

Would be cool to try regardless though :).

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you record an OTA chan on a 9242 you can rip that using pvrexplorer. However, none of the satellite chans work. I assume this is due to encryption as pvrexplorer just sits there at a few hundred kb/sec without doing anything.

Pinza, what is bell storing in 1080p? I don't think any chans broadcast in 1080p so maybe you're referring to on demand content?
frootloop:

Are you saying that the Sata hotswap with the 9242's internal hard drive to PC does not work anymore using PVRexplorer Pro due to encryption? I am upgrading to a 1TB Hard Drive & would like to transfer all the shows I've recorded from the old 250GB hard drive to my PC.

Can anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The easiest way transfer shows would be to archive/load them onto an external hard drive and restore/load them back onto the new drive.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There is a yahoo group PVRExplorer where you can get more current info. I haven't been there in a while so I don't know what the current status but I think the encryption has not been cracked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
f13dfx, yes I used the hotswap method. Worked for OTA chans, but not satellite.

I assume this is due to those ones being encrypted. The Broadcom chip that the receiver uses does mention in the datasheet that it supports encrypting recorded content, so they're probably flagging satellite content as encrypted while allowing OTA stuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tried PVRExplorer v2.03.00 and it looks like at least the shows I recorded from both East & West PBS-HD feeds are encrypted. I can see the names of the shows I recorded & if I pick a show to transfer to my PC, it does exactly what frootloop described earlier in this thread :(

So I'm just using the time-consuming method using my Hauppauge HD-PVR to transfer shows over to my PC for archiving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Might be worth mounting the harddrive in linux and looking around the filesystem to see what's there. The pvrexplorer type tools are meant for dishnetwork and it might be that Bell uses a different directory structure or something else that is causing issues. I don't really see why they would want to encrypt recordings for channels like PBS and CBC.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was finally able to extract the video after a couple of workarounds. They are stored in *.tsp files. Here's the output from mediainfo for one of the recordings. Playing around with the HDD to see if there is a simpler way to get them as it's a real pain to get them currently.

General
Complete name : F:\root\bell\AV_REQ_HD\es8055.tsp
Format : MPEG-TS
Format profile : No PAT/PMT
File size : 4.13 GiB
Duration : 1h 57mn
Overall bit rate : 5 048 Kbps

Video
ID : 4369 (0x1111)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Bit rate : 4 216 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 fps
Standard : Component
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.076
Stream size : 3.45 GiB (84%)
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio #1
ID : 4372 (0x1114)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -3s 484ms
Stream size : 321 MiB (8%)

Audio #2
ID : 4373 (0x1115)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -3s 495ms
Stream size : 161 MiB (4%)

Text #1
ID : 4369 (0x1111)-CC1
Format : EIA-608
Muxing mode : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info : Muxed in Video #1
Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID : 4369 (0x1111)-1
Format : EIA-708

Text #3
ID : 4369 (0x1111)-4

Text #4
ID : 4369 (0x1111)-24

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's pretty cool. Good work.
Can you explain how you did it (even with the annoying workarounds). Was it hotswap, or just plugging the HDD into a computer USB port?
I'm curious to see if it would also work with the external HDD from my 6131.

241 - 257 of 257 Posts