Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question often comes up about transferring programs from an ExpressVu PVR to a computer and/or VCR etc.

The easiest way is to simply hook up analog cables to your PVR and playback the program to a video capture device or a VCR.

The other option is to remove the Hard drive from your PVR and then transfer the information from your PVR to you computer.

Please NOTE that doing this will void the warranty for your PVR and could cause a lot hassle, damage and expensive.

I frankly don't recommend it but there are plenty of adventurers out there so this thread is for them.

Finally, to my knowledge this activity is perfectly legal. Anyone who thinks otherwise please PM me or email me (don't post in this thread). If it is illegal then we will remove the thread immediately!

To my knowledge one software solution exists for the purpose of moving programs from an ExpressVu PVR to a computer.

It's available from Yahoo Discussion Group called Dishrip.

Several applications called 'PVRdSE' with 'PVRConv' have been designed to transfer saved recordings from a Dishnet or ExpressVu PVR to your PC hard
drive.

PVRdSE is used to transfer the recordings from your PVR to your PC. PVRConv is used to convert the recordings to audio (.MP2/.AC3) and video
(MPEG2 .M2V)

The applications require Windows NT/2000/XP running with administrator privileges. They will not run on Windows 95/98/Me. In addition, you will need to know how to remove the hard drive from your Dishplayer and put it in your PC.

The ripped files take up about 1GB for every hour of recording.

If you're using this program or any other this thread is the place to discuss.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i was talking to a friend here in town yesterday and the subject came up about transferring from Bell. He's wired his player for USB. now all he does is have to hook up a USB cable and transfer it to his PC

I'll get the url of the group he uploaded his plans to

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Done it lots of times with my 5800; very simple. There's another mini-app named dishrip.exe that uses a windows interface (prvdse and pvrconv are command-line programs) to extract and convert the program to an mpg.

Only thing to remember is that the hard drive in the pvr is jumpered as a "master"....if connecting to the same ide cable as your boot drive, you'll have to jumper the pvr drive as a slave.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nuje said:
Done it lots of times with my 5800; very simple. There's another mini-app named dishrip.exe that uses a windows interface (prvdse and pvrconv are command-line programs) to extract and convert the program to an mpg.

Only thing to remember is that the hard drive in the pvr is jumpered as a "master"....if connecting to the same ide cable as your boot drive, you'll have to jumper the pvr drive as a slave.
I should have been specific by saying the Bell 6120 or the newer Bell 9220. I'm only interested in transfering HD content over to my computer.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Sgt_Strider said:
I should have been specific by saying the Bell 6120 or the newer Bell 9220. I'm only interested in transfering HD content over to my computer.
There is a mod for the older 6000 IRD's that lets you connect a computer directly to the receiver using a firewire. With this you can record HD content LIVE and of the fly from your 6000 to the computer.

This is the site selling the mod kit... I hear it works great. http://www.169time.com/index.html#diy-info

·
Registered
121 Posts
HDTV101 said:
There is a mod for the older 6000 IRD's that lets you connect a computer directly to the receiver using a firewire. With this you can record HD content LIVE and of the fly from your 6000 to the computer.

This is the site selling the mod kit... I hear it works great. http://www.169time.com/index.html#diy-info
Sound expensive...I was hoping someone with a 9220 will try this out and see if it works. If it works, then I am so going to buy one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am trying to do it with a 5900

I have had no luck at all with the things being discussed or maybe i am using them the wrong way any assistance would be appreciated with getting stuff off my pvr to my computer so i can use my pvr recorded space again thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would Love that url

mrhooie said:
i was talking to a friend here in town yesterday and the subject came up about transferring from Bell. He's wired his player for USB. now all he does is have to hook up a USB cable and transfer it to his PC

I would love to know any info that would help me out on this thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
royaldj32 said:
I have had no luck at all with the things being discussed or maybe i am using them the wrong way any assistance would be appreciated with getting stuff off my pvr to my computer so i can use my pvr recorded space again thanks
Have you taken the hard drive out of your 5900 and successfully had it recognized in your desktop computer?
Where are you getting stuck?
More details makes it much easier to help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Question for NUJE

Nuje said:

I just want to know what happen when you plug back the hard drive in the bell receiver. Did it erase everything that is on the hard drive ? :confused:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Nope - all the stuff is still there as it was before. All PVRexplorer does is copy (and multiplex - combine the audio and video streams) the data onto your computer's hard drive.

For a piece of free software developed by someone pretty much just for kicks, it's a great little piece of software. If you can't find it, pm me with an email address and I can email it to you (it's like 250kB, I think).

·
Registered
153 Posts
extraction is solid

I first tried making DVDs in the summer of 2004.
The extraction problems then were somewhat serious.
The tools weren't.
Now, the Windows-interfaced extractor is about as easy as you could ask for.
There are a number of options, but once you get used to it, just have it leave a .log file and the multiplexed .mpg file when it's done.

My workflow now includes VideoReDo, a wonderful mpeg editor,
followed by DVD Labs to do the authoring.
I use Nero 6.6 only for its ability to burn the DVDs.

Both the regular resolution shows in 544x480 and the movie channels in 702x480 make fine DVDs, that play in most -recent- DVD players.
(I check my work on a DVD player that's 3+ years old, but older ones may prefer only 720x480)

Hope this encourages a few more people to give it a try.

·
Registered
153 Posts
basic rules of extraction

#1.
you can only extract from a 5100, 5800, or 5900.
(or the 501, 508, 510 ;) )

#2.
if you are renting the unit, don't open it.

#3.
if you do open a PVR, be sure to pull the AC plug out of the wall, first!

#4.
to remove the drive, you would have to destroy a security sticker inside.

#5.
not that I do it this way, but I've wondered if you couldn't pull the drive cable where it plugs into the main board, and use some sort of adapter right there?

food for thought. ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
just go for it

I really didn't mean to sound like a wet blanket, above.
I regularly (weekly) extract and burn numerous shows, and have a high success rate.
Building discs with multiple shows is a bit more exotic, and I've mastered that quite well.

The standard TV-show data rate is around 2.5 mega bits per second, and that translates into about 1gb per hour.
When you take out commercials, it's more like 42 minutes and 800 mega bytes.
Four or five TV episodes on a DVD are easy. Six shows takes a big hammer and a crowbar. ;)

Quality is exactly the same as when you watched your satellite receiver. Identical.

On a decent computer, you should be able to turn an hour show into a single DVD in ... maybe half an hour, once you are experienced.
Though it may take an hour each 'till you get the hang of it.
That includes trimming the front, rear, and removing several commercial breaks.

I often spend just a few minutes more, making nice menu (to select the episodes on this disc)...
...adding chapter breaks...
...and printing artwork on the DVD with an Epson R200 or R300 printer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
mrhooie said:

I, too, would be interested in his approach.
I'm doing something similar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anole said:
I really didn't mean to sound like a wet blanket, above.

Quality is exactly the same as when you watched your satellite receiver. Identical.

On a decent computer, you should be able to turn an hour show into a single DVD in ... maybe half an hour, once you are experienced.
Though it may take an hour each 'till you get the hang of it.
That includes trimming the front, rear, and removing several commercial breaks.

I often spend just a few minutes more, making nice menu (to select the episodes on this disc)...
...adding chapter breaks...
...and printing artwork on the DVD with an Epson R200 or R300 printer.
That's very impressive! Can I ask what software you use to do the transcoding and what you use to do the authoring?

Thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
Anole said:
not that I do it this way, but I've wondered if you couldn't pull the drive cable where it plugs into the main board, and use some sort of adapter right there?
Howdy... just a couple of questions... sorry if they sound newbie...

1) If you're not disconnecting where the drive connects to the motherboard where exactly are you disconnecting from? Sorry... I've never opened my 5100.

2) Did you simply connect the drive to your computer's motherboard and run with it... or in other words did you need any special software or drivers to get your PC to recognize the added PVR drive?

This all sounds really interesting. Perhaps a good reason to keep the 'ol 5100 around in addition to the 9200!

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 257 Posts