Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 105 Posts

· Banned
543 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the client version number change or is this just a mod to the existing version?
Sorry Dr. Dave, I don't know that. Might be a good thing to check before you do the update. I'm on vacation ATM so I don't have much info beyond what I provided. Since I've experience no problems at all with my PVR, which I use daily, I won't be applying this fix myself, I'll let it come in automatically. I always subscribe to the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

- another TELUS tech

· Registered
76 Posts
I followed the recommendations of Wiremonkey and the first unusual occurance was last night when I looked at an 11PM scheduled recording that did not seem to start. In the recordings screen, underneath the title of the program that did not revord was a line that said "Channel not available". This was about 20 minutes after the start of the program, so I went to the channel, and the program was there. I have no idea why this message appeared unless there was a network bump at the start time but we were watching another channel and noticed nothing else unusual.

· Registered
29 Posts
Appears to be fixed

I rebooted 3.5 days ago (84 hours running time now) and in that time all programs (about 10) are reporting a full length recording. Programs before that, like on the 17th of Dec, show short times. So, for me, the reboot seems to have worked. Here are my current version numbers:

TV2 client version: 1.6.25075.1229 (RELEASE)
WinCE/5.0.1400
Bootstrap ROM version: 1.1505

· Registered
3 Posts
Since December 8

My PVR has not recorded a full program since December 8. I've called twice and got the same line....it's a microsoft problem....we're working on it....no completion date is available. I tried rebooting as suggested above but nothing has changed....when I push the record button on a live show or an upcoming show it says 'programming is currently not available'. Perhaps I don't know what rebooting means....I shut everything off...wireless, modem, TV and the box....then turned it back on....is that it??

· Registered
3 Posts
it's working...i think!

@Dr.Dave....I unplugged everything and plugged it back in after about a minute and it appears the record feature is working. I've been able to schedule some recordings we'll see how that goes and I'll report back. Thank you for your help!!

I was seriously considering switching to a different provider b/c of the lack of communication on this. Had I not found this forum, who knows how long I would have gone without a fix. The 'rudeness' you have experienced from unhappy clients is simply because we have been kept in the dark on the progress being made. My recording feature has been down for 15 days...that's a long time to wait and wonder what's happening. Last summer one of the social networks was having major issues but when you went to their help page they had a daily blog outlining the problems and the progress being made on each....that made a huge difference in our ability to deal with the frustration. Telus could learn and thing or two from them. You would think a 'communications' company would have figured this out by now. If you can please pass this on to the 'brass'. Again...thank you for the heads up...had I not read your post I wouldn't have thought there was a fix yet as the last call I made, the tech said it would download automatically when it became available.

· Registered
1 Posts
same problems here...

We actually had a telus technician come out, replace the box...said there was some faulty wiring...replaced that...said everything should work great now...it doesn't! Most of my recordings I have to double check whether or not they will record (kind of pointless since isn't that sort of the point of a pvr...not to have to sitting around waiting for the show??) But as far as Telus goes I just really wish they would get it together!! I have been waiting for my smart ring number for over a month now! Eight phone calls to the customer centre, three unanswered calls to a manager and it is still not working! It just seems like it is issue after issue after issue and it gets very frustrating! I am just a simple customer, who wants a simple solution to all the problems Telus has presented to me. AND I think what frustrates me the most is that they are charging me for services that I don't even receive yet!

· Registered
11 Posts
Telus black hole

I did my reboot per instructions on Dec 22 and since then have had no problems recording. (had/have other problems, but let's not go into that ) :)

But, Suzmat, you are right on the mark about Telus' management of this - it would be so simple if they just communicated with their customers; would save a lot of wasted time, stress and just plain bad feeling.

· Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem, had to reboot the system, unplugged and let sit for a few minutes and it was fine for a week then it happened again so I revolted again. All was fine and then the system update happened and it's good.

So far my experience with Telus customer service has been nothing short of excellent. I am so happy I made the switch even if the set isn't quite as good as bell was...or it just may be that I am a slow learner on the new system.

I'm sorry to hear others have had poor service, and I do agree regardless of the strain of customer complaints, techs need to remain courteous at all times.

I'm hope the problem is solved by now.

· Registered
2 Posts
reboot fix is temporary

I rebooted my PVR about a week and a half ago, after which point it started working properly again (hey, it does run Windows!). Today it went back to quitting recording part way through. To top it off, when I deleted the truncated episode, it deleted all three of episodes of that show. :eek: Nice eh?

Taking to Telus customer support personal has been great, although I've gotten the same answer as everyone: "It's a Microsoft problem." Does that mean I should call them to get support? When Telus calls me because my bill payments seem to be getting cut short, can I just say "it's a Visa problem"?

<sigh>
I wish I had more the two options for TV....

· Registered
97 Posts
That happened to me too. I deleted one truncated episode of something today and it deleted everything else that I'd recorded today. All other recordings made on all other days were safe, though.

Things were so good on Optik for so long... I hope Telus gets this cleared up soon.

· Registered
29 Posts
Restart restored lost recordings

Yup, yesterday I got the short recording. After about 400 or so up-hours of the PVR. I walked into the room at about 8:20 and saw the red light on and wondered what I was recording. A few minutes later I noticed the light was off, but it was only about 25 minutes after the hour... strange. So I turned on the TV and saw the show that I wanted to record was only about half-way through. I went to the Recorded Shows and saw that the show recorded only 23 minutes and was no longer recording.

I found the show in the guide and hit the record button; it started to record. A few minutes later I looked in Recorded Shows and even though it was recording, the previous 23 minute segment that I saw earlier was gone! No longer listed.

Like I said in a previous post, I have seen this happen before on Windows Media Center, so with this Windows Mediaroom box, I knew that the first segment was only hiding in limbo. I watched the show as it recorded and deleted it when it was done.

Later when there were no shows recording, I restarted the PVR from the Settings menu. Sure enough, the first 23 minute segment of the show appeared in Recorded Shows. The Restart process recovered them from the disk. BTW, I have noticed both on the PVR and on the Xbox that when you restart and look too soon in the menu for Recordings, that menu item is missing. Just wait a little longer (1.5 min?) and it will come back. I guess the PVR software is doing a little disk clean-up and is not quite ready at first.

So, while it is nice to know how to recover by Restarting, it is dissapointing to see this short recording issur re-appear. I thought it was a "Middleware" problem that they were going to (had) fix(ed).

· Registered
97 Posts
Me too! Now that the new TV shows have started up again and more shows are being recorded, the problems have resurfaced.

I wasn't too bothered about it over xmas because there wasn't too much being recorded, but now I'm very annoyed.

In most businesses you don't rollout an update without having a backup plan, wouldn't it be as simple as just putting the previous firmware version back on the boxes??? Or this that too simple?:confused:

· Banned
543 Posts
Voxxon, that only seems simple. It’s a very small number of people who are having this issue. I have a PVR and I've never had any issues. I use the PVR daily for multiple recordings, usually all scheduled ahead with occasional recordings requested on the fly. I've had no issues.

The problem is a MR issue, which is something that requires a Microsoft fix. I thought this was resolved, but apparently it isn’t as some customers such as yourself are still having problems. Please note that in my previous post I gave advice on how to remedy this issue by rebooting everything, and then I advised that if this doesn’t work to contact TELUS with the particulars of your experience so they can forward that info to Microsoft.

I can appreciate your frustration, but I doubt TELUS would do a roll back on the firmware of everyone’s STB to fix the issues of such a relative few, if that’s even possible since most devices will not load firmware of an older version, and any new hardware would just download the current version at installation.

It would probably require Microsoft re-issuing the old firmware with a new version number then reissuing it to the network for all the STBs to pick up again. I can't see that happening.

You will just have to call in and give your details to a CSR.

- another TELUS tech

· Registered
4 Posts
Scheduled Recordings being deleted...

I know you guys have seen the problem of short recordings but I don't have that problem. I was wondering if any of you guys have seen you recordings that are listed under "Scheduled" just disappearing all together. Each time this happens, I have to redo the series recordings for them to come back. I've tried the rebooting and everything, and have also called into Telus tech support numerous times but this problem is still happening. I also noticed that occassionally, I will see recordings scheduled that I didn't setup; almost as if I am getting somebody else's recordings. I only watch what I PVR so me not being able to PVR series recordings means no TV for me. I also would like to know if anybody knows the firmware version number or how I can tell if I have the latest firmware installed.

Thanks.

· Registered
4 Posts
Just got upgraded to Optik from Minerva yesterday, so far so good, except that yesterday evening I got the message "cannot record due to scheduling change; record manually" on almost everything even on the current running program.

Now it seems gone. I'd guess that since it was just installed I should have the latest firmware release where that bug was supposedly fixed if I read this thread correctly. Maybe it is related to the guide download, but Mediaroom doesn't seem to delay guide download like the old platform did.

I'll check for premature recording termination, but so far (3 mostly test recordings) they went ok, scheduled via iPhone app or not.

Anyway, the 3HD stream capability makes it worthwhile even with a few bugs to me.

· Registered
6 Posts
Our installation was just done yesterday, and our System info matches the latest firmware posted earlier. I can't seem to record anything without getting the "record manually" message.

(Wiremonkey, I finally broke down and reconfigured my network, let's hope it was worth it. Damn you Telus for forcing your crap hardware on us.)

41 - 60 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.