Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My PVR has been acting oddly in the past few days. Some (not all) of my scheduled recordings stop before the show end. For an one hour show, some recorded just 13 minutes, some recorded 25 minutes and so on. There are still at least 40% disk space, so I am sure it is not a disk full problem. Also there are recording available for PVR to erase when needed.

Did anyone encountered the same problem?

I cannot re-create the problem and have re-booted the PVR (long press on power button). Anything else I should try?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Now that you say it, I've experienced this problem as well. I thought perhaps the broadcast just ran over time but I was always a bit suspicious. Hopefully it was just some sort of one off glitch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem has happened to me this week. Some shows are 4min some 37min before it cuts off. Totally random as there are no recording conflicts or problems. Tons of space with 57% left. Calling telus now to find out whats going on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
blue20ae,

Are you on Minerva or Mediaroom?

Just wondering do you know if your modem rebooted? This may cause the recording to stop.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I have been getting multiple recording errors and have rebooted my system and modem a few times but is still having issues (Mediaroom system). A few recordings have actually been missed (Apprentice finale), numerous short recordings (a few have been 1 minute of a 30 minute show) and lately the feed has had a lot of instabilities (freezing, audio/video drops, etc). Hopefully this gets corrected soon as it is becoming a little annoying :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm using Mediaroom (I think, it is the new PVR with Win CE).

The problem was on SD recroding, and not just on HD.

When I reset the PVR, I also reset the Modem as well. I have done a few test recording today and so far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called Telus and seems they know all about this problem. Said it "being worked on". And they couldnt say when it will be fixed.
Said it is a problem with the guide software and its for all of BC and AB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had to re-record every show since last Wed. Dec. 8 (the ones that I could find at a later time). Telus tech support have been extremely UN-HELPFUL. They are telling me it's a microsoft problem and that microsoft is working on a "patch" to fix the problems.

I am waiting for a call back from another person (this will be the 4th one I've talked to). I have told them that I will be calling all of the other providers and taking my business elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned, my "contract" is not valid when the service I'm paying for is not being provided.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had problems (short recordings) for only a day but everything seems to be working fine now. It's good to know that I'm not the only one. I just restarted the PVR and the modem and it fixed it. I'm still more than happy with it. I had more issues with my Shaw box than the Telus PVR. I'm not giving up on them yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I Had the exact problem, Happening with SD & HD, scheduled and manually started recordings. It would record a various lengths of time, between 7 and 54 mins. I rebooted the PVR and haven't had a problem since. It is windows CE based and I think every one knows if you leave any other window product running for a long time with out occasional reboot they start to behave peculiarly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Their is currently a middleware problem involving recordings. If you reboot the box it seems to fix the issue.

The ticket is still open to fix the problem. Hopefully its resolved soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess this is widespread. Resetting my box helped a little. But seems today I can't schedule any series recordings. Everything has to be done one by one.

Also, the remote recording website is all messed up too. I recorded something just now, but when I go in to 'Scheduled' recordings, the channel/date/time are correct, but the title is something completely different.

Hope they fix this soon. It's getting really annoying. I'm back to downloading torrents for the shows that only recorded 25min of an 1hour.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hope they fix this soon. It's getting really annoying. I'm back to downloading torrents for the shows that only recorded 25min of an 1hour.
My wife likes to say she always had Telus TV before the product was released. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same issue here!
In Calgary, AB.
Hurry up and fix the darn thing Telus, and along with the billion other problems.

I'm gonna switch back to shaw once my year (thank god is only a year) contract is over, unless you can impress me with the service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been the worst! My family is out of the house a lot of the time, so we record basically every show we watch. Yesterday we recorded 3 shows, and they were all 1 minute in length once we began watching them! I hate Telus SO much. I was all excited to see Paul McCartney on Late Night and, low and behold, it stopped playing right after the intro credits.

We've phoned them multiple times and they just don't seem to care at all. The first time we phoned and asked about it they were like, "Oh *yawn* yeah that's a problem affecting certain locations. What locations you ask? Oh, uh, let's seeeeeee.... *types away on computer* Yeah, all of BC and AB. *long silence* Give me your account number and we'll check to see if you're in the location. (Um well seeing as I'm from BC I would think you wouldn't have to check using my account number). We're... working on the problem."

Shouldn't they have sent us an email explaining the problem seeing as it's affecting two whole provinces?! I also did a live internet chat with a telus staff person and asked why they didn't have anything on their website to inform people. He said that it's not something they'd like to advertise. WTF?!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also, the remote recording website is all messed up too. I recorded something just now, but when I go in to 'Scheduled' recordings, the channel/date/time are correct, but the title is something completely different.
That's not new, I've experienced that problem since remote recording was activated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the issue with the shows not recording completely. We record the time shifted stuff as I'm on the west coast but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Whats odd was last night Survivor records for 32 minutes but the "live" feed for the west coast was on. I went to the guide to record the live feed (Global channel 608 here) so I could watch the last half after watching the first and it said "due to scheduling conflicts this episode must be recorded manually". Huh????

At that point I have to set the channel and then time to record it (8PM - 9PM). I went back the recording list, the previous earlier recorded Survivor (32 min one) was gone and replaced by the manual one!! WTH!?!?!?

I rebooted the DVR and when it came back up, the manual one was now gone replaced by the original 32 minute. Wow this is getting BETTER!!

I then decided to hard reset the whole thing and this time some sprocket icon came up and it appeared to be downloading and installing an update.

Called Telus today and talked to an TV service agent who appeared more interested in getting off the phone with me then retaining the information I was providing to her. She said they were aware of the problem and it should be fixed. There was no "were sorry for the last 3 weeks you been forced to download recordings or watch them in crummy Flash player online. It's fixed now leave me alone.". Grrrr....

I'm extremely disappointed with Telus at this point. At least offer a small refund to folks as I mainly just use the TV service to record shows and watch them when I have time and rarely watch Live TV so 90% of what I pay for the service has been useless.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts