Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my PVR updated to a Cisco IPV6015 from the Cisco 430 box due to Optik freezing the video and Telus remotely detected communication errors within the PVR. There were no errors detected in my 25 Mb/sec internet so the PVR was identified as the culprit. So I had a new PVR updated about 12 days ago but I noticed the remote control only had about 20 per cent of the range it had with the Cisco CIS430 box. My setptop Wifi box remote in basement is still excellent (over 60 feet pointed in any direction) since nothing was changed. The IPV6015 had to be within 20 feet and the remote had to be aimed at the PVR directly within a 15 degree margin. I complained and a Telus tech replaced the IPV6015 and there was very little improvement today. I am thinking this PVR is not totally compatible with this Telus remote as even the CIS430 was perfect range and I could turn the remote 180 degrees and IR still worked bouncing off the walls to the PVR. Is this a common complaint here? One thing to remember is that this IPV6015 was released in 2002 and was discontinued (Cisco says " End of Life") in 2005! I do not mind older PVR's if they work properly but this is a serious problem in my mind. I am retired electrical engineer that used to be a digital designer in computer interfacing/communications until I switched to computer based control systems later in my career in Vancouver, BC. Telus does seem to be very responsive and helpful so I would like to stick with them as I have had Optik for 8 years now. Does anyone have an IPV6015 that has good remote range or is an IR repeater required?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Found Plug-In IR Sensor

The remotes are identical. I finally found the answer by browsing this great site. I ordered this plug-in IR sensor on Amazon.ca for $10 and it comes from China with 6ft cord. It was shipped last night within 4 hours of the order due to the massive time difference from Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BY19HH0/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

The plug on back of PVR is labelled "IR Ext". Note the caution to remove power from PVR before plugging in. I assume this is because the base IR sensor is open circuited before powering up remote IR sensor as you plug it in but there is always the chance both will be powered up for a short time if there is any fault in the plug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got the remote IR sensor from Amazon.ca and it works perfectly. I can be 30 ft away and point 180Deg away from the PVR now and it responds perfectly by IR reflection off the walls. The bad thing is the price went from my $9.99 CAD $ to $26.85 which is quite a hike. I was going to give 5 stars on Amazon but not with this price increase. Telus should provide these units since they are still cheaper than changing PVR's or even totally losing customers.

The unit had 6 ft cord so I powered down the PVR and plugged it in the back at plug marked "IR ext" and powered it back up to prevent any problems, I then used the sticky tape on the sensor to mount the unit on the bottom of TV close to the TV IR sensor. The whole thing took 5 minutes and I am happy. I am amazed Telus does not know this works so well since they replaced td the new IPV6015 one week after initial installation and it was identical poor range without this remote IR sensor. The unit came from China.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Glad to hear it worked.
The bad thing is the price went from my $9.99 CAD $ to $26.85 which is quite a hike.
I order from China all the time, mostly through eBay Canada. Although I've seen prices go up on products after I've placed my order (one item went from $1 to $4 the following day), but the sellers have always honoured the selling price (confirmed on checkout). Not only that, but it's usually free shipping, but it can take a month or two to get here.

Did the price go up after you confirmed the price on checkout? If so, you can contact Amazon. I have found them excellent to deal with on items purchased through/from them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid by credit card at time of order, so it was $9.99 CAD on my statement as well. I phoned Telus Optic Technical and told them Telus should buy them for customers because these PVR's have aged plastic with cataract symptoms where IR light is partial blocked by the black plastic on the front face of the Cisco IPV6015. Telus said she would pass this on to her manager, I bet they can get them from China for less than $10/each in high qty if they find the real manufacturer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This USA price on Amazon.com (rather than Amazon.ca) from same Seller = "SR Technology" for $7.09 US tells me that Canada is being tested for being easily scammed:

Go to Amazon.com and search for "IRR-102" and it should come up as $7.09 US". Sometimes Amazon.com can put cookies on your computer that tricks you with the CDN price instead. So I am pasting this text from Amazon.com:

6-Feet 37.9KHz External IR Receiver Cable, Infrared Receiver for TV sets, STB,Satellite receivers etc(IRR-102)
by SR Technology
3.8 out of 5 stars 9 customer reviews
| 9 answered questions
Price: $7.09
Arrives before Christmas.

High Reliability,3.5mm to IR Target
TRRS(tip-ring-ring-sleeve) 3.5mm plug
High Sensitivity, Large Transmission Range
High Immunity Against Ambient Light, Power Noise and Electromagetic Interference
Our IR works for Directv H25,Telus Cisco IPV6015,CISCO IPV-6016, Cisco IPV5050,EPB fiber box

Compare with similar items

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Just as an FYI, I got US$7.99 and C$27.69. (Perhaps the shipping rates are different? I didn't bother trying to check out) I find that sometimes as sales are made or interest grows, the price can go up. Also, if I wait a while, sometimes the price goes down. If I'm looking for something and I see a good price, I purchase it immediately because the price can vary so much. Recently I was looking for some batteries at Best Buy in the US because I was going to Buffalo. One day they were US$22 and the next day they were $US40. I waited a few days and they were down to US$22 again... (That was in late October, long before Black Friday.)

If it's something I purchase fairly regularly, like once a year, or something that I know I will need but I'm in no rush, I research it for as long as possible, sometimes months. When the right price comes along, I place my order. I once got such a good price that the seller refused my order, even though it was placed and confirmed. That only happened once and the seller refused to honour the order - perhaps it was some sort of misprint, but it was only off by a few dollars, not by a factor of 10 and it wasn't a high cost item.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazon.ca has brought it back to $9.99 CAD which is good. Click on above Amazon link to verify. This IR Ext unit works excellent as I can point remote 180 Deg away from TV at 50 feet and it works great! Cheaper than babysitting a 2nd PVR tech for an afternoon as it also had a plastic IR cataract just like the original PVR since these units are 15 years old and just "refurbished".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have to correct the reason for the poor range on the Cisco PVR model IPV6015 as it is not the "age" of the front black plastic face of the PVR that attenuates the IR signal from the REMOTE. The fact is that Cisco stopped building these PVR's in 2005 and company called Technicolor refurbished them with a new front black plastic face plate that has the "Telus" logo instead of the original "Cisco". This plastic is totally incorrect for IR light passage and severely attenuates the remote control signal. It is not the age of the plastic but rather it is the WRONG PLASTIC for IR light. The "Technicolor" logo is on the top RHS of the face plate which I had not noticed until today! Remember IR light is lower frequency than the human eye can detect so it would look black in color to us regardless but to IR light it should be totally transparent as Cisco originally had it. This must be costing Telus a fortune in technician callbacks of poor range of the remote!

Telus should get Technicolor to supply these IRR-102 sensors for past customers in my mind and Technicolor should correct the production line for future customers. I phoned Telus Technical Support and let them know my thoughts but I have no idea whether it will get passed along to management.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
One thing to remember is that this IPV6015 was released in 2002 and was discontinued (Cisco says " End of Life") in 2005!
I think you are looking at the wrong equipment. AT&T began using it in 2014 and Telus in 2016.
The fact is that Cisco stopped building these PVR's in 2005 and company called Technicolor refurbished them with a new front black plastic face plate that has the "Telus" logo instead of the original "Cisco".
Cisco sold its "Connected Devices" business to Technicolor in 2015, including IPTV and Cable STBs and cable modems. (Link) It's common practice for STB manufacturers to design the plastic housing with the telco or cableco logo. The boxes are manufactured that way and probably shipped directly from Asia to Telus. Unless your box actually says refurb, it could be new or or one that was returned to inventory because the customer upgraded to a 4K PVR, or switched to Shaw, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cisco had an EOL date on their site but I can not find it now. The IPV6015 was originally built by Cisco and Technicolor may be a manufacturer of new or recycled Cisco units that Telus uses to put their logo on the front face plate. When originally released, the unit had "Cisco" on front RHS of the IPV6015. I assume Cisco was asked to remove the EOL date from their site site as I saw it listed once? In any event, I am pretty sure Technicolor is using a plastic face plate that attenuates IR light compared to the original sold by Cisco. Even the older CIS430 sold by Cisco had good remote range of about 60 feet compared to the minuscule range now on the current IPV6015. I had to aim the remote right at the PVR (less than 15 ft away) with this IPV6015 until I bought the remote IR extension which can be pointed 180 Deg away from the PVR at 60 feet by reflecting off the walls. The front face plastic quality is the most likely culprit in my mind. I apologize for any mistakes above.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are right. I do apologize as I did not realize Cisco used the same numeric model number for DSLAM switches. I did give the Amazon vendor of that IR extender five stars after they brought the price back down to $9.99 again by the way. I bet the IPV6015 built by Cisco had a better quality plastic for passing IR light through the front face plate to the sensor on the board compared to the plastic used by Technicolor. There are lots of review comments about the remote extender being ordered because of the very poor IR remote range of the current IPV6015.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts