Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Pvr for older plasma tv

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  e268 
#1 ·
My old plasma tv has component input, no HDMI. Currently, I have a NEXTBOX 8600 HD attached to it, and it has no pvr function. Is there any NETBOX HD box that have component output? I also have a NETBOX 3 which does not have component out.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'll make sure Rogers give me the right one.

Just talked to Rogers. They will bring NB3 9865 . The one I have at home is NB3 4k which only had hdmi.

#7 ·
Right. It is Netbox CAV10455HD 4k at the front. At the back it has a big red sticker that says 4kHDPVR. It has hmdi out only.

#8 ·
The Rogers Tech came today. Hooked up the 9865 and the screen is a lot of raster lines, no pictures. Sometimes there is a black and whit picture.. After about 2 hrs, he gave up and left. Asked me to call tech support.'

So, before I call tech support. I want to ask you experts here if 9865 component works. I have whpvr, but the tech said the 9865 does not have it, and he thinks it should work on its own.

So, any advice?

#12 ·
I have whpvr, but the tech said the 9865 does not have it, and he thinks it should work on its own.
Some comments on WHPVR.

1. Rogers are no longer offering WHPVR to new customers. If they want the WHPVR functionality, they need to go with IgniteTV. They do continue to service existing WHPVR customers.

2. Once you get the 9865 operating properly on its own (use 1080i), then you may, or may not, be able to add it into your WHPVR setup and it may require a truck roll to add it, although usually if it's replacing an existing box within WHPVR, they should be able to do it remotely. Do not be surprised if they refuse to add it to WHPVR as they are trying to push people towards IgniteTV. If you definitely want it as part of WHPVR, it may require several calls and some "push" on your part.

3. What is the exact make/model of your plasma TV? We can look up its capabilities if you can't get it working on its own...

#9 ·
It should work. First I would check that the component cables are not accidentally crossed. Then I would check the 9865 output resolution. You might need to connect a composite video cable to do that. The 9865 might be set to 1080p which cannot be handled by some TVs. It should be 1080i or 720p for non-1080p TVs.

#10 ·
Okay thanks. This tech does not know much. I call tech support and ther say exactly as you said.. He said to push the settings button and change to 720p.
Now I have arranged to go to the store and pickup the 9865 my self, and try to install it.. what a pain when the tech does not seem to be trained.

#11 ·
Its sad. I had a Rogers tech over at my house tell me that the NB2 was defective. I wasn't happy with his accessment. I had to escalate to the President's Office to have a resolution. Rogers downloaded a fix. All was well. Its too bad you get the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to techs.

#13 · (Edited)
@ExDilbert. I had to call Rogers and authorize me to pick up this 9865. Got it working with the tip from you. The trick is to use composite so I can see the setting menu to change it to 1080i. Thanks.

@57. I already have WHPVR. Just tried it, and I still have it. My plasma tv is Sony Wega 2013 model. But it is still working and colour looks great. It will be a while befor my wife authorize to replace it.

Edit: 2003 model. 15 yrs old

#14 ·
I recently acquired a 2007 43" Panasonic plasma that my son was getting rid of. It works perfect. It has every possible inputs and outputs you can imagine, even S-video. Also the OTA TV tuner handles NTSC as well as ATSC.

The only minus is it consumes almost 500 watts. Not very Energy Star friendly!

#15 ·
Yeah, it is a great plasma. Never gave me any problems, except initially there was a high pitch whining noise especially when changing channels. But, after a while, it was gone. Yes it has a tuner for OTA. Mine is the 2nd generation of Sony plasma, and in 2003, I do not believe there is even hdmi. I tend to keep old things. I still have a sony 15 in (?) Trinitron in storage, and I did not get rid of my 32 in CRT TV until 2011 (replaced by another Sony 60 in panel).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.