Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I've had the 5900 PVR for two months, last night when I turned it on I got a message saying A Serious Problem Has Been Detected With Your Hard Drive
Error Code 04bc.
When I called BEV after waiting 35 min. the rep asked me to do a couple of tests (which I did before calling anyway) he told me he would have to put the tech on the line, but that was another 35 min. wait,
The tech asked me to do another couple of tests only to tell me they will have to exchange the receiver.

My two questions are...
Has anyone else had this problem & got it going themselves?
Does BEV replace this unit with another NEW 5900 unit(since mine is only 2 mos. old) or do they send some older beat up peice of junk?

thanks for your time,
Dave

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have had 5 Bev Receivers replaced. Three were 5100 PVR's. The last one I've had for several years without any difficulties.

The incidence of dead PVR's seems to be a lot lower these days but not unheard of.

New or Refurbished? Both, I had two refurbs then a new one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry no answer but... I would really like to know more about how these hard drives are setup. Do they have adequate cooling?? And by cooling I don't just mean some vents on the side and that's it. There should be decent 'quiet' ball bearing fans in there somewhere with good heat dissapation at least.

Has anyone ripped one apart to see what be inside?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my first 5900 on Dec 19, 2005. Three days later, I got a fatal drive failure. One week later, I had a replacement.

Today, the second one died; "serious problem with hard disk drive, error code 048a".

Now I have a third one on the way!

If this happens again and there are no PVR alternatives, I'll return to a plain receiver.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i've had a 5100 since the beginning with zero problems

i bought a 5900 in november and got the dreaded HD failure. I am 4 days into my wait for a replacement

·
Registered
971 Posts
couimet said:
I bought my first 5900 on Dec 19, 2005. Three days later, I got a fatal drive failure. One week later, I had a replacement.

Today, the second one died; "serious problem with hard disk drive, error code 048a".

Now I have a third one on the way!

If this happens again and there are no PVR alternatives, I'll return to a plain receiver.
You could acquire a DVD recorder as an alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
waterug said:
You could acquire a DVD recorder as an alternative.
Or a TiVo. I've got a TiVo box hooked up to my 3100 and it's amazing. Really makes the 5900 look like a bit of a joke. My 5900 just died and is out of warranty, so I'll probably buy a 4100 and another TiVo box to replace it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
cra said:
Or a TiVo. I've got a TiVo box hooked up to my 3100 and it's amazing. Really makes the 5900 look like a bit of a joke. My 5900 just died and is out of warranty, so I'll probably buy a 4100 and another TiVo box to replace it.

The Tivo idea sounds great.

Could you please provide the following information:

What model Tivo?

Where is it available for purchase?

How do you connect it to your 3100?

Can it be connected to a still living 5900?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
cra said:

I also have a dead 5900....power supply. CRA if you would like to sell yours I could use it to fix mine,please contact me.

sorry if this a thread hijack

·
Registered
11 Posts
JohnAllan said:
The Tivo idea sounds great.

Could you please provide the following information:

What model Tivo?

Where is it available for purchase?

How do you connect it to your 3100?

Can it be connected to a still living 5900?

Thanks very much!
I've got the Humax 80 hour Tivo, but any Series 2 Tivo box will do (some are 40 hours, some have built-in DVD burners, etc..)

Purchasing is the slightly trickier part.. Tivo fully supports Canadian users now, and provide guide data for all of the Canadian satellite and cable providers, but they don't sell boxes here. So you need to either buy one in the US at Best Buy or wherever, and bring it home, or do like I did, and buy a used one on eBay. I got mine for about $50US, your mileage may vary.

It just connects to the 3100 via the RCA jacks.. so yes, it converts to analog to record. That's about the only drawback compared to the 5900.. but the picture quality is still very good. You could connect the tivo to a living 5900 in the same way.

That's about it.. I love mine. The recording is all name-based, so there's no missing shows if it changes times, or days one week. And the guide holds like 2 1/2 weeks of data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
barter said:
Better off just to buy a new Expressvu PVR. It's alot cheaper, less hardrware/cables.
Err.. the Expressvu PVR isn't cheaper, unless you're talking about renting. And Tivo really makes any other PVR/DVR look kind of silly when you compare features, interface, etc. Bell's PVRs provide 2 days of guide info. Tivos provide over 2 weeks. Just one example.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
cra said:
It just connects to the 3100 via the RCA jacks.. so yes, it converts to analog to record. That's about the only drawback compared to the 5900.. but the picture quality is still very good. You could connect the tivo to a living 5900 in the same way.

That's about it.. I love mine. The recording is all name-based, so there's no missing shows if it changes times, or days one week. And the guide holds like 2 1/2 weeks of data.
Does the TiVo change the channel of the Bell receiver to tune into the right program or do you have to pre program your receiver so it changes to the specific channel at the specific time so the TiVo can record it (sort of what you have to do if you connect a VCR)

Also, if you're watching regular TV, do you look at TiVo's IPG or Bell's IPG? If you're looking at TiVo's and you select a show, does it change the channel of the Bell receiver.

I'm asking because if the TiVo only connects via the RCA jacks, how does it control the Bell receiver to tune into the right channel to record the shows you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sleemo said:
Does the TiVo change the channel of the Bell receiver to tune into the right program or do you have to pre program your receiver so it changes to the specific channel at the specific time so the TiVo can record it (sort of what you have to do if you connect a VCR)

Also, if you're watching regular TV, do you look at TiVo's IPG or Bell's IPG? If you're looking at TiVo's and you select a show, does it change the channel of the Bell receiver.

I'm asking because if the TiVo only connects via the RCA jacks, how does it control the Bell receiver to tune into the right channel to record the shows you want.
The TiVo changes the channel on the Bell receiver using an IR blaster, so you don't need to worry about setting the recevier to be on the right channel at the right time.

Watching live TV, you use the tivo IPG (which is nicer than the Bell one, IMHO) and yes, when you select a show in the tivo guide, it uses the IR blaster to change to the correct channel on the Bell receiver. Because of the IR blaster, changing channels is obviously slower than it normally is just using the Bell IPG directly, but honestly I rarely watch live TV anyway. 90% of the time, I'm watching something I've recorded previously.

·
Registered
102 Posts
5900 checkering during playing, how to solve?

just wondering alot of channels recently are checkering and skipping, this didnt happen before is there a way to refresh your connection?

also this is a general question coming from a 3100 i got the 5900, and is it normal for pvr to change the channel MUCH more slowly then a non pvr unit? its like molassas.

Dreaderus

1 - 18 of 18 Posts