Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a newbie in so many ways. In fact both my wireless phone and wireless plan are ancient. And I don't understand a lot of the technical terms being bantered around here. So here is my situation. I have a very old family plan through Rogers- don't want to lose this as the price point is unbelieveable. I would first of all like to add on some applications to this plan and have searched the rogers.com site to see that I can add a value pack that has exactly what I would use. My biggest quandary is, should I get a new phone and replace my old Nokia and can I simply just exchange my SIM card to continue the services. I don't want to cause any problems with Rogers as I have already stated I like my services. WHen i originally purchased my plan, I did not need voicemail or the ability to do emails or even have call display, etc but now I would welcome that capability. I don't plan on sending texts very often so I don't need the mega data plans that a Smartphone would support. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks:)

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Depending on how old your original SIM card is you might need to get a new one to support data services. I had to replace my SIM when I upgraded to a data plan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response

Going to add more info - the phone I am wanting to replace was obtained through a hardware upgrade due to a lost phone over one year ago. The phone number remained the smae as the lost phone. The phones and the original SIM cards were purchased in December 2006 as part of a deal with subscribing to a pooled family plan @ 20.00 per month with shared minutes.
Maybe I should just see if I add on the value pack it it works OK for me or not? Can you remove the add-ons if you don't like them?

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
There's nothing to stop you from using a new phone with an old plan. When I bought my Nexus One, I continued on with a good plan I obtained with a previous employer. If you need a new SIM, you simply pay $10 for a new one. A new SIM will not require a new plan.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
bingo, im not sure why people make that mistake. I also hear a lot people think they will loose their phone number when they get a new sim, thats not the case.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The things you are worried about are a non-issue. You will need neither a new SIM card, nor a new phone. The catch is that any updates to your old grandfathered plan will most likely result in switching to Rogers current inflated pricing. You need to be very careful when negotiating that with a Rogers CSR. Don't do it yourself online. If the negotiations fail, you can always say that you want to cancel and they may transfer you to the retentions department. There you will be offered a favourable plan, which will be completely different from anything you have, or published on Rogers website. Make sure you get what you want.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
yeah how so? I have activated one of the first generation sim cards some time ago, and even hspa worked fine

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Whether there's a technical reason or not I don't know, but I know Rogers will sometimes make customers replace their SIM card in order to change their plan. It could be for a made up reason, though they provide the new SIM free of charge so I don't know why they'd make it up, or it could be something to do with their system.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Changing a price plan can exist without changing the hardware. Price plan information is stored and changed changed in the billing system, which is Vision 21. SIM Card information (IMSI) is stored in the HLR databases. I do not need to get into details of how it works, because I would confuse a lot of you.

But if your using a very old SIM Card, it is also suggested to change it to the newest one, better encryption, stores additional telephone numbers per entry, stores e-mail addresses, supports dual line, stores more text messages. And if they give it to you free, its a bonus.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
But if your using a very old SIM Card, it is also suggested to change it to the newest one, better encryption, stores additional telephone numbers per entry, stores e-mail addresses, supports dual line, stores more text messages. And if they give it to you free, its a bonus.
Just to clarify that all these advantages of newer SIM cards are useful only on the very rare occasion when you move your contacts from one phone to another without using a computer. You may never want to use the SIM card for anything at all, all phones store the contact info in their own memory. You can use a 10-year old SIM card in an iPhone 4 without any issues whatsoever (well, you'll need to cut it down to microSIM size first, of course).
In summary, SIM card has no influence on the functions of your phone and is not required to be changed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts