Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

How would you rate purchasing from U.S. vendors: Taxes, Duties, Shipping, etc.

• Excellent

Votes: 69 19.3%
  • Very Good

Votes: 89 24.9%
  • Satisfactory

Votes: 79 22.1%
  • Troublesome

Votes: 72 20.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 17 4.8%
  • Never Again

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • I buy only from Canada, you insensitive, unpatriotic clod!

Votes: 24 6.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order some things from Parts Express Online. They are situated in Dayton OH. The UPS charge for shipping (calculated through Parts Express online ordering) is like $17 USD.

Now my question is, does this charge cover shipping to my door or will I be zinged for some "hidden" charge or duty or something?

Anyone have any experience ordering from Parts Express?

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong; but doesn't UPS have some insanely expensive customs brokerage fee?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what somebody at work told me. The guy said they tack on like $50 when the package gets to you.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
do not ship anything, let me repeat myself, anything from the US to Canada via UPS. Some times the fees are greater than the price of the product.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do not crossborder ship with UPS.

They'll grock you for $35 "brokerage" charge at very least. Add to that GST PST etc; this was a couple of years ago but going crossborder via UPS is a Bad Idea.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I belive the customs fee depends on what level of service you require. For UPS ground, it is inexpensive. For overnight express, it is very expensive.

I've has two items shipped up to Vancouver via UPS ground and paid $10 (including their fee) upon delivery. I can't remember the other item, but it wasn't shocking.

Rob

·
Registered
848 Posts
I got dinged BIG TIME when I got my Phatbox. The dollar exchange was bad enough (back when it was in the 0.60c area) but the UPS brokerage fee was a kick to the head! I try to insist on postal service delivery now or else have items delivered to a friend in the USA who comes back up here several times a year.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
UPS Express is fine. That ridiculous brokerage fee applies only to UPS Ground (and is a function of the customs value). And I too have been dinged. FedEx used to do the same thing (ground only) but I think they have dropped it (I just received something FedEx so I'll find out shortly).

USPS is still the best bet from the US. If it is USPS Priority it will be delivered via Purolator with a $5 brokerage fee.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'd prefer to use UPS over FedWrecks as well, UPS is a whole lot more on-the ball when it comes to delivery dates, FedEx seems to only be aware that it might get to you. Also, FEd Ex had some trouble keepng their customs (Duties and taxes) fees in order too, I made a Visa payment to Federal Trade Networks(they handle all of FedEx brokerage and cross-border tax affairs) and they re-billed me, even after the invoice showed up on my Visa statement.

As long as you stick with UPS Expedited (or even pre-paid), you'll do fine and have no surprises. Or there USPS expedited, which I was just as happy with.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Argh...I think we have every possible answer here and they all contradict each other!

As I understand, UPS ground is ok and UPS express is the zinger?

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Anything I get that comes USPS/ Canada Post; the brokerage fee is only $5. That's all I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First hand recent experience with UPS and these additional charges. I ordered a DVI cable from TigerDirect.ca, think it was a $35 cable. The cable ended up being drop shipped from the vendor(US). UPS shows up at my door with the cable and a $39CA bill (brokerage and taxes). Told the driver to enjoy I wasn't accepting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did they send it to a collection agency? I have heard that they are very aggressive in collecting their duties and fees.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
RNAChemist,
UPS GROUND is the one you want to avoid. Paid $172 (brokerage fees, taxes) to pick up an ipod I bought on ebay last year.

Just bought a pair of skis and shipped it UPS Express ($5 more than ground), and only paid $40 in GST. Skis were $100US more than I than the ipod was valued at.

Once again, GROUND = BAD!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did they send it to a collection agency? I have heard that they are very aggressive in collecting their duties and fees.
No at least not yet, I didn't accept the shipment it was a return to sender. Can't charge me for something I didn't get.

As a side note I called Tiger Direct to express my disappointment, they indicated that it was UPS that screwed up and there should not have been any charges. The rep suggested that I call UPS and ask them to resend the package out, pay the bill and Tiger Direct would credit my account. I suggested to Tiger Direct they could call UPS and sort it out so there were no charges if they were interested, and that I was not their banker.

Guess they weren't interested as UPS didn't return.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
57 said:
I think someone above was confusing USPS (Lance Armstrong's team) and UPS (the brown guys).
I hope you weren't refering to me. All I was saying was that US Postal Service is a lot cheaper for customs brokerage than UPS; and that's why I request everything shipped US Postal Service.

1 - 20 of 565 Posts