Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased three recievers off E-bay, A DSR 530 and 2 DSR 505s. Called Shaw to activate them and they reported they are inelgible for use. Privacy resons they would not disclose the reason- but hinted the prior owner did not pay their bills. A hard lesson learned- payed over $550 and $48 shipping for these....

If one wants to buy a used reciever call 1-888-554-7827 with the serial number before the purchase. They will tell you if they are "good".

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Yep, too bad you didn't come to the site before buying.

Rule is to never buy used cable or satellite equipment without calling your satellite or cable provider first.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ouch...ebay is a bad idea for that type of product. I suggest locals like Kijiji....because then you can meet the seller face to face and ask all the right questions.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Shaw used to allow people to pay the outstanding balance in this situation. Give a call back and see if they still do this. I can't understand why they wouldn't. Though the balance may be several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I wouldn't let SD get away with this. What does a "receiver" have to do with somebody's account? The debt is between Shaw and the customer. Activiating the prior owner's receiver on a current owner's account should not be an issue. This is another example of some arbitrary procedure which is not logical.

You would also have recourse via eBay and PayPal. You should file a claim. This is no different than getting something DOA. There is no reason for you to be out any money. Pursue your options.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I wouldn't let SD get away with this. What does a "receiver" have to do with somebody's account? The debt is between Shaw and the customer. Activiating the prior owner's receiver on a current owner's account should not be an issue. This is another example of some arbitrary procedure which is not logical.
Seems logical to me. The customer owes Shaw money and the one piece of leverage Shaw has over the customer is they can blacklist their receivers making them essentially worthless until the account is settled.

The OP's dispute is really with the eBay seller. If they paid with PayPal then filing a dispute with them is their best course of action.

·
Registered
764 Posts
wouldn't let SD get away with this. What does a "receiver" have to do with somebody's account? The debt is between Shaw and the customer. Activiating the prior owner's receiver on a current owner's account should not be an issue. This is another example of some arbitrary procedure which is not logical.
yes i agree but the problem is that SD identify the receivers in their system using the serial number so if someone have a dept on a reactivated receiver
the bill would have to be separated from the actual owner who reactivated the receiver ie:in the account office at SD
but it's still doable

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I agree with Grog. Buyers should never buy used goods without first investigating. It's not SD's fault.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I wouldn't let SD get away with this.
Suppose you buy a used car from someone who owes a mechanic for repairs to it. The mechanic can place a lien on the car, which means he can come after you for payment or even sieze the car. As always, it's buyer beware.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I guess if I were "Mr. Shaw" calling the shots, and some guy owed me $550 on his account and wouldn't pay up, resulting in his account being cancelled, I wouldn't want the deadbeat to think he could then go peddle his receivers (some of which I may have provided to my customer at a discounted rate) for another $550 and come out $1100 to the good....

Unfortunately the policy results in both Shaw and the purchaser of the used receivers ending up being losers in this little game......

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would contact eBay and PayPal to see if this is covered under their buyer protection. If it is, they will refund your money and go after the seller to retrieve it themselves.

As others have said, buying CATV and satellite receivers on eBay is not a good idea. Their are lots of documented cases of defective or unusable items.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to Shaw, they actually called the guy and asked for payment- while I was on hold. Thought that was very nice. The first Shaw rep simply said I was SOL. Then did a PayPal claim- I feel optomistic. Thanks all for you suggestions. I never thought about the recievers being inelgible for use because of prior non payment. The E-bay ad stated the recievers were fully functional. Guess the question is- what is the definition of fully functionable.

·
Super Moderator
56,508 Posts
I suppose it is possible (although unlikely) that the seller was short on money and sold the receivers thinking that they would work for you...

Of course it's also possible that he would use the money to pay SD... ;)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
GunsofNavarone, please let us know how the Paypal claim goes

·
Registered
783 Posts
Isn't it also possible that the ebaY seller has nothing to do with the Shaw Direct customer who owes them the money? IE the SD customer gave them away or sold them at a garage sale to the ebaY seller?

What happened when Shaw called the previous customer who owed them money?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Whether the seller is the debtor or not doesn't matter much for the paypal dispute. If they sold them as useable then the dispute should be successful. I have been impressed with the dispute process and hope you succeed.
I was involved in some used purchases and actually advanced a small amount once, for the guy to pay the debt and he did!
Anyway I think you have a chance with a dispute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A quick update- PayPal/ Ebay sent me a note stating if I return the receivers they will issue a refund. I sent the seller a note stating if they pay the money owed to Shaw I will withdrawl my dispute.

Please note the seller on E-bay was asked twice by other bidders if the receivers were functional and the response was yes. I think this was a big misunderstanding on all parties- and the first Shaw rep that implied I had been "duped" didn't help. All I could think about was getting a dispute to Paypal for the 30 day dispute deadline.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts