Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I purchased a 9242 online from The Source last Dec, and for many reasons I had not been able to get the dish installed until now. I had the Bell tech come out and install the receiver yesterday, but when I called Bell to activate the receiver, they told me that I couldn't because it is already activated on somebody's account.

Does anybody know how this would happen? Bell CSR told me I had to send the receiver back to where I purchased it, but I don't want to do that.

Is there a special number from The Source I was supposed to call? I think I misplaced the paperwork with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
What did the Bell tech do.? He is supposed to call in and activate.

Sounds like you are screwed unless you can find the details from the Source.

I have a 9200, same thing, bought 100% legit but the customer I bought it from, is now living in Europe and Bell will not activate for me, until she calls them, stupid but just the way the cookie crumbles. I left it too ong before trying to add it to my account, I will not make that mistake again.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
I assume the OP's STB is "open box" (a return). If sold as new, OP needs to return to The Source (with bill) and straighten this out.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Many Refurbs come with the same problem, as the procedures for removing them from accounts is badly flawed.

I can only guess this is a refurb.

If the OP makes enough noise, Bell might make an attempt to call the person listed as the Acount Holder but if the contact numbers they have do not work, it is going to depend on finding the receipt from The Source.

10 months later is way too long in my opinion for any kind of refund, I think he is stuck with it, unless he gets a really understanding CSR.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Exactly right 57. It is now up to the OP to prove he bought it in good faith.

Although I seem to recall a clause stating that receivers should be activated within 60 days.......

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
To help in the future: as soon as you pick up a receiver, have it added to your account. You do NOT need to activate it. I have had a used 6100 waiting in the box to replace my free for one year 9141 when the free period is up. I added the 6100 to my account the day I bought it used (after clearing the numbers, of course), but will not activate until I need it.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Great advice, I for one will do this from now on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I should have never waited this long...I hope I can work it out with The Source, I still have my receipt and everything for it, so I can prove I bought it from them, and it's legit.

I realize I waited way longer than the 60 days, but I don't understand how that matters...I mean, how does someone activate it after my 60 days are up? Or, if it was activated before I got it, how does waiting longer than 60 prevent me from activating now?

What would they have done differently if I had of called within the 60 days? Would it have been the same issue?

Thanks guys...hopefully I don't get stuck with a $500 paper weight.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You would have had the exact same problem within the 60 days but the chances of getting a replacement would have been much better.

Anyway, if you have all the documents, go for it, nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The Source is owned by Bell now - and they purchased the chain well before December. It's Bell's responsibility to ensure the receivers are free and clear (refurb or not). The receiver was sold through their own retail channel and you have the paperwork, in your name, to prove it. If Bell doesn't make it right immediately, I'd escalate the issue until they do - no way I'd accept otherwise, regardless of the delay in activation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts