Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rogers SMC modem, which I am renting, paying around $4 + tax every month, instead of this can I purchase a modem from bestbuy etc?, is there a difference between router and modem? please suggest any good modem/router to buy (I am on rogers Express plan)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I bought my modem from Rogers a few years ago. IIRC, the purchase price was paid off in less than a year. However, Rogers is now switching to DOCSIS 3 and I don't know if they sell those modems yet. A modem just provides you with an internet connection and address. The routers they provide use NAT and RFC 1918 addresses to allow multiple computers to share one IP address, the same way as a box from D-Link, Linksys etc. does.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Be very careful with purchasing modems. Rogers may not provision it. Check with them before purchase - you may need to purchase from them. I purchased mine years ago from Rogers for about $100.

Sometimes they may provision a modem that you have (or purchase from outside), but it may take up more of your time than it's worth...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Be very careful with purchasing modems. Rogers may not provision it. Check with them before purchase - you may need to purchase from them. I purchased mine years ago from Rogers for about $100.

Sometimes they may provision a modem that you have (or purchase from outside), but it may take up more of your time than it's worth...
I upgraded to Rogers Ultimate, which means that I have my old, purchased, modem sitting and collecting dust. I am renting the new one, for now.

It sounds like selling the old one to someone else would be a pain for them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It sounds like selling the old one to someone else would be a pain for them.
If the modem was originally purchased from Rogers I don't see why they would not re-assign it to another active account should you decide to sell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts