Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a TomTom GO630 about a year ago, and while it was an ok device, over time I found a few things I didn't like about it. As luck(?) would have it, my device died on me this week. It no longer charges and isn't recognised by my computer when I plug it in. I've emailed TomTom support to see if this is covered by warranty, but haven't heard anything yet other than an automated email saying they are experiencing an "abnormally high" number of incidents. That in itself inspires a lot of confidence.... : )

I've resigned myself to the fact I need to purchase a new unit. This time it won't be TomTom.

I have used the Magellan units in Hertz rental cars, and am not too impressed by the map display, though that's probably not a fair statement. As a result, I'm leaning more towards Garmin units.

A couple of questions to any Garmin owners...

How reliable are they? I'm really hoping NOT to have to replace this one in a year because of some glitch.

Has anyone replaced the battery in the unit? How difficult is it to do? I found some video's for the Tomtom unit, and it doesn't look to be that easy.

One of the features I liked on the Magellan is that when you got to the end of the trip, it would say "approaching destination on the right (or left). TomTom only says "approaching destination". Do the Garmin units specify left or right as well, or are they more like TomTom

Regardless of the manufacturer, this time around I'll be buying the "lifetime" maps version (although the definition of lifetime is a bit dicey...)

Thanks for any and all help

·
Registered
751 Posts
Do the Garmin units specify left or right as well, or are they more like TomTom
Yes, all the Garmin road navigation models that I have seen, including my older Nuvi 750 say "... on left" or "... on right" when approaching or arriving at the destination.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

I've had a Magellan, a Tom TOm, and now 3 Garmins.

While there were features on the magellan that I wished the garmins would have ... I never liked the map update system that magellan used. Literally a new map once every 18 months or so.

I like the 4 quarterly updates on the Garmins ... (Nuvi 680/255/265)

What I wish the Garmin would do is actually give me the address of the destination when I get there. Ex. I type in the address of a client ... and then I save it under the client's name ... but when I get there, it simply says the client's name on the screen ... and no address information. Sure he is on the left or right side, but I have to bring up the previous destination file to see the address of the home. You see the actual address at the beginning of selecting the trip ... but not at the end. Bugs me a lot. The Magellan would always show me the name and the address of the home too.

The text to speech on the Garmin is funny as well. It just gets things wrong sometimes that it is comical. Memorial dr. is pronounced as memorial doctor. Glenmore Tr. is pronounced as Glenmore "T" "r"

I bought lifetime for all three garmins. Wasn't an option on the tom tom at the time. Tom tom gives the speed limit of roads ... the garmins do not. (The 255/265 do give speed info in the US only though)

REgards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts